Should we have a forum for non-anime fan fiction C&C?

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

Should we open a forum for SF&F and other kinds of animation?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:24 am

Yes, that would be a good and progressive thing to do.
35%
Yes, that would be a good and progressive thing to do.
35%
No, this site should stay dedicated to anime and manga.
15%
No, this site should stay dedicated to anime and manga.
15%

Total votes : 40

Should we have a forum for non-anime fan fiction C&C?

Postby lwf58 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:24 am

With the recent posting of a Harry Potter short story, the question was raised about whether we should permit the posting of non-anime fandoms. In the interest of keeping this site fun and active, we are willing to put it up for a vote. This poll will run for the next 14 days.

The forum was originally created as a specialty site for fan fiction in which Ranma Saotome of Ranma 1/2 appeared in a seifuku, but that was determined to be too narrow a topic for the forum to attract members and stay a fun place to spend time. So it was opened to all anime and various folders were created to host other anime topics. We also opened up the forum to free-form roleplaying.

The fact remains that people sometimes lose interest in anime, or it becomes a secondary focus when they become interested in another type of show or book. Rather than see them leave, would it be better to open up and allow them to share their new passion?

There would still be limits. This isn't fan fiction.net; we are not intending or equipped to permit the posting of every kind of fan fiction. The new category would probably be restricted to Science Fiction and Fantasy shows and books. This includes Harry Potter, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and so on. Even Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Well, enough said. Time to vote!
Last edited by lwf58 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 am

I think it would be nice if all Fan Fiction stories could be posted without that kind of question.

But I could also see how letting just any Fandoms fictions could, well, diminish the sites identifying quality of Fukufics.

It's already expanded saying it should, not must but should, at least be Anime Fan fiction.

This is one area where I think the best solution would be an unwritten rule to allow all members fictions to be helped with regardless of the canon sources but that leads to the same problems. And a potential for people to claim Hypocrisy.

Well at least a Non-Anime Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Fiction based section would allow for Warner Brothers, Harvey Toon and Disney based fics. I'm just uncertain about voting with the current options.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:53 am

We have to draw the line somewhere. But I could specifically include all other forms of animated programs and movies. In fact, I will.

The SF&F limitation is because we aren't equipped for fan fiction or discussions based on, say, "One Life to Live" or other soap operas. Or The Rambo or Rocky movies, for that matter.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:59 am

lwf58 wrote:We have to draw the line somewhere. But I could specifically include all other forms of animated programs and movies. In fact, I will.

The SF&F limitation is because we aren't equipped for fan fiction or discussions based on, say, "One Life to Live" or other soap operas. Or The Rambo or Rocky movies, for that matter.

Yeah it could have gotten bad with that Chuck Norris comment in another thread. I still don't see why anyone likes him that much. I see your point.

But Couldn't that also get stirred up because of some the more obscure American cartoons like That one for Hulk Hogan, Batman, He-Man, The Adventure of Spuds Makenzee, Mister T, American GlobeTrotters, Or even just the cameo characters in Scooby Do? Even the 3 Stooges had a cartoon of their own once.

Edit:Relocating my Edit. I was only putting it here because no one else had commented yet.
Last edited by Spokavriel on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 am

There's a compatibility issue here. I have seen Ranma, and Sailor Moon, separately crossed over with Beavis and Butthead. Those were one-offs, and I'd just as soon not see B&B stalking our hallowed halls.

On the other hand, I've seen dozens of crossovers between Harry Potter and Ranma, Harry Potter and Sailor Moon. Some of 'em are pretty darn good.

Then there's Gojira. And what are we to do if some lunatic decides to write a Battle of the Bands between the Three Lights and Josie and the Pussycats?

I'd be inclined to say "It's acceptable, but discouraged" to non-anime fanfics. If people really don't like the crossover, it will just sit there and die from lack of interest. If it works in our terms, it'll get comments.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:17 am

I was just thinking of something.

Would a new section for non Anime Fan Fiction need all the same boards that are currently here for supporting Anime? Or would it share the folders for Fic Research, Ideas, or Outlines and Scenes? Making separate ones for one would seem to suggest making it for all of them would be sensible. And really that's why the poll was feeling off to me. It would most likely be a whole section of sub boards for Non Anime instead of just a separate C&C.

I think an unwritten rule of letting Non Anime Stories that are acceptable to the masses by Resident Fan Fiction Writers is better than the vat of Pickled Herring this could upset.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:23 am

To clarify, we'd be setting up a new category for non-Japanese animation and another for non-animated programming. They would have their own research, C&C, and conversation folders. The idea is to keep everything separate.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Speaking as a forum geezer...

I actually suggested a non-anime fiction subforum way back when in the first incarnation of the site. Not just fanfiction, but original fiction as well (heck, I've got fuku-original-fics in the works).

I was also suggesting a forum for more... serious discussion than Spamville supported, and the two got amalgamated into one catchall forum.

That's actually the genesis of the Other Talk Forum - so, we already have such a forum.

Personally, I'd still be delighted to see a dedicated non-anime fiction forum, though - I tend to be rather zealous about organizing my data into nice easily-referenced folders ;)

I'd definitely support it - while a focus on anime is good, we're not just about anime. We all have our own interests, and a lot of them are common, so being able to post at least some of those common interests in one forum can only strengthen the community identity.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Metroidvania » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:29 pm

I would say yes as well.

I've had several other works that have been posted elsewhere, and I think the level of service that this community provides C&C-wise is one of the better one's I've seen. Expanding the focus would definitely help draw in new members and keep others involved, as people have said, interests wane, and more possible content means that they would stay.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Atlan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm

It sounds like a good idea to me. (This could just be selfish glee at not having to find a new forum to post my Batman fics)

Posible amendment: Don't have three sections, have two. Having Anime, non-japanese animation, and non-animation seems like over kill. Non-japanese animation could be folded into one of the others (it wouldnt make much difference which, though I'd vote for putting it with Anime.)

Another posible amendment: Allowing origional fiction in the Non-Anime section.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Beavis and Buthead, Cow and Chicken, The Tick, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, She Spies, etc. I don't want that anywhere near Anime. A third section would be good for it if you don't lump it in with other Non Anime.

But I am finally sold in saying that yes there should be a place for non Anime here too.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Those were one-offs, and I'd just as soon not see B&B stalking our hallowed halls.

Then we just need the lists for Approved, Disapproved and Outlawed series. These lists could be compiled on the fly: as a new author (or the oild author with a new theme) comes in, the old forumites (or should I say Templars?) either welcome it or ostracize it and throw author to the wolves.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:11 pm

My personal view, and how the site will go, is that the anime and manga based stuff will maintain the core C&C and support sections.

Lumping everything that's comics and animated together seems to cut things the wrong way. Because then it's an animated and other forum. That dilutes the primary purpose of this being anime and manga related.

To prevent a bloat of new subforums, I think the current Fic support section, and an Other for misc animation, scifi, and fantasy would work best.

There's probably not enough volume to warrant having three separate sets of C&C, Ideas, ect sections.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Tovath » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:06 pm

I don't want people to leave or feel excluded, but I think we should worry about making the focus to wide. If we do that then we risk losing the ability to critique peoples work. How many times have you heard "Well I don't know enough about said series to help with it." This would happen a lot more with Book fanfiction. True there are many anime but there are many more books and it is harder to look up information on books then anime. If I were to write a crossover between Phule's Company and Miles Vorkosigen how many people know enough to help with that.

Also we might run into legal issues if we let in book fanfiction since American authors are more likely to raise a fuss about people using their characters, for good reason I might add, then a manga artist would.
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 pm

I don't even know if Harry Potter is Safe when it comes to being sued for encouraging plagiarism. Fan fictions based on printed works are competing directly in the same medium as the originals. While allot of creators are ok with it I could imagine things getting dicey.

Maybe saying if it isn't something with an Art (Comic Manga etc.) or Video (TV Series Movie) aspect already. But even then there's always risk that's why you include a disclaimer.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Site Suggestions