Froggie Art: for an old idea.

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Froggie Art: for an old idea.

Postby Frog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:03 am

Hello,

It's been well over a year since I last posted here. I saw nothing against posting sketches in the forum rules so I decided to share one. About two years ago I started writing my first piece of fanfiction: a Ranma and Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne cross-over. I, however, ran into some real life snags and didn't get a chance to get past chapter one. Recently, however, I had a chance to become active online again, as well as a chance to start playing Persona 3, an off-shoot game franchise loosely based on SMT. In the midst of that, I recalled my sadly aborted project. So, feeling creative all of a sudden, I decided to pull out my tablet and fiddle with Open Canvas. This was the result:

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27 ... hura_1.png

A sketch of Kasumi, bewildered and horrified, at her transformation into a demon-human hybrid. I'm new to OC so please, pardon the mess. Any tips or tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps I'll even finish chapter two if I can manage to dig up my notes.
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:25 am

Kasumi's left bangs very small compared to the size of her right. She also has a lock of hair over her ears.

Anime mouths are usually placed a bit higher than midway the space between the nose and the chin.

The neck seems a bit long.

I hope you don't mind a bit of redlining.

"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:52 am

As Mondu said, neck is a bit long, also her chest seems out of proportion too.

Expression is very nice. I think you conveyed the horror rather well.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Frog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:13 pm

mondu_the_fat wrote:Kasumi's left bangs very small compared to the size of her right. She also has a lock of hair over her ears.

Anime mouths are usually placed a bit higher than midway the space between the nose and the chin.

The neck seems a bit long.

I hope you don't mind a bit of redlining.

Lock of hair over her ear? If you're referring to what I think you are then that's just to keep in line with the design presented in the manga and anime, where very character seems to have a few unruly hairs that mat the side of their face.

You are right about the mouth. I'll aim to correct that. Same with the neck.

I do not ind the red-lining. In fact, it's pointed out some other mistakes I made. I'll restart from scratch and hopefully come out with something better :)

As Mondu said, neck is a bit long, also her chest seems out of proportion too.

Expression is very nice. I think you conveyed the horror rather well.

I'll work on the neck and chest. I must sadly admit that female anatomy is not one of my strong suits so perhaps I gave her too manly a neck and too deformed a chest. I'll do a bit of looking through my old anatomy books and see if I can get her breasts to not look so deformed.

Thanks for the comment on the expression. Hopefully I'll be able to recreate it's success in the next sketch.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:35 pm

I'm not so sure if the neck would be manly. It's just the distance you gave from shoulder to base of head is a little more than the entire head hight. 1/4 - 1/3 head hight is the max neck length I could see not seeming too long.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Frog » Fri May 30, 2008 5:33 pm

It's alright to reply to this topic with more art of the same theme or should I make a new one?

While saving as jpg I accidentally saved the pdf at 25% completely ruining my inking so now I have to start all over again. I'm thinking that the face needs some work, and the far shoulder has to go entirely. Anything else you would want to point out will be duly noted and I'll attempt to correct.

Is the character still somewhat recognizable? I tried to emulate the style used in the Ranma 1/2 anime more while downplaying my own personal style.

Context is: The Vortex World has finally driven Akane off the deep end and she's done something positively monstrous. Now Kasumi, who, despite being turned into a Demi-Fiend, had been the one to retain most of her humanity, has finally decided that she's seen enough and let enough be done without interference. So the kid gloves are off. Or what that be the housewife gloves? Hm...
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fan Art