An Unsuitable Person, Ch.9

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

An Unsuitable Person, Ch.9

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Nobody commented on the previous chapter nor helped me remember the Gummi Bears series ending.
Cheb is very sad :(

http://www.chebmaster.narod.ru/myfics/a ... on_09.html
http://217.70.20.10/myfics/an_unsuitable_person_09.html

P.S. I know, it should be "Die, Kai" in English. Sounds corny...? That's the problem.
You all probably know by this point that Ryouga's battle cry literally means "Ranma! [I'll] kill [you]!", "Die, Ranma!" being a good adaptation :wink:

P.P.S. As always, the original is beyond my current English vocabulary, so I had to rely on a dictionary in almost a dozen cases. You all know how "well" that works. :roll: :oops:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: An Unsuitable Person, Ch.9

Postby Sunshine Temple » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:11 pm

A cross-shaped vein popped on Rukia's forehead with an audible crack. “How dare you to call me a child! I'm a grown woman, Kuchiki Rukia of Thirteenth division and I'm no...”

[Personal quibble. I never thought that such animation conventions (sweatdrops and facefaults) translated well from the visual to the written medium.

With such [a] founder how could I bear my school's name and not feel ashamed!”

Climbing onto the Kai's subserviently bent back[,] she urged: “Let's hurry, we have to return soon.”

The long-haired housewife paused her finishing dusting

[Finished, the long-haired housewife paused her dusting.

[Huh. I think you don't give yourself credit. It reads well.
[I really only found that one line where the sentence was wrong.

[You go against convention a bit by this " hollered Akane." Instead of the more common reverse "Akane hollered." But either is correct.

[Good pacing. Spelling seemed fine (I'm not great on that score myself).

[Not a fan of Bleach, but this was funny.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby LawOhki » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Rukia stood blinking in confusion. Then it hit her. She grabbed her protege by her shoulders and vigorously shook her. “They live! They are alive, I tell you! Did you hear me at all?”

I'd chop out the "They live", and I'd phrase the rest as "I told you they're alive! Didn't you hear me at all?"

I just read through the whole thing today. It seems... simple for the most part. And Akane being focused enough to learn something like the soul of ice, rather quickly, it well felt like it needed some more explanation for the possibility. Such as since her sword is ice based, she somehow developed an aptitude for it.

And why is it taking so long for Ranma and Mousse to get back? Sure they were gone for a couple weeks tracking down Herb, but they were back by the next day after the big fight.
Last edited by LawOhki on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm sorry. I just can't find the conclusion to Disney's Gummy Bears. As far as I can tell it returned to a situation which could have lead back to almost any last season episode without problem. But there is a good chance I am wrong.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Munchkin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Having just watched the first 3 series of Gummi Bears (out of 4?), the first 2 ended up with some information about the Gummi bears:

1) First series they ended up finding out there are more Gummi's overseas, by using a laser machine.
2) The second series, they find an artist Gummi bear on an island that comes back to live with them (but only appears in 2 episodes in the 3rd series, so almost may as well not have happened).
3) The 3rd doesn't even have that, and just ends on any old episode, making it seem like it just ended half way through.

No idea what the 4th series entails though, but I can only assume it ends in one of the following 3 ways:

a) Just ends on any old episode, leaving things completely unresolved.
b) They get rid of the ogres and Drakmore, and all of the Gummi's come back.
c) They find out that the Gummi's won't be coming back, and they get on with life as they always did.

I suspect (c), although (a) is most likely, and (b) the least likely, since that would involve "getting rid of" (somehow) a character in a family oriented cartoon.
Munchkin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:48 pm

>I never thought that such animation conventions (sweatdrops and facefaults) translated well from the visual to the written medium.
Well, I almost always imagine whatever I write as a visual. I try to convey it as a visual, not always successfully.
Think of this as a tribute to the genre.

>You go against convention a bit by this " hollered Akane."
That's the problem. A year ago I had better grasp on these things. But recently I feel it slipping. More and more often I cannot write such constructs on instinct, it returns blank and I grind to a halt trying to figure consciously how to place the words in order. :(...
I guess I have to go on English courses to get a solid conscious knowledge on the grammar and its workings as I cannot trust my subconscious mechanics I used so far (and successfully, dang it!)

>[the other corrections]
Thank you :)

>Not a fan of Bleach, but this was funny.
I'm not a big fan of it either, but it mixes so well... There's a spark where these two series connect.

>, but they were back by the next day after the big fight.
In this reality, they got massively sidetracked by losing Ryouga (who carried all their supplies *including* their money) then trying to track Ryouga... It's all in the previous chapters.

>I just read through the whole thing today. It seems... simple for the most part.
Well, It did grow out of an one-shot I never intended to continue...
And I don't have enough free time to continue it, but still I do.

>And Akane being focused enough to learn something like the soul of ice, rather quickly, it well felt like it needed some more explanation for the possibility.
Se got a ton of potential and she finally got a dedicated teacher.
Her problems in Canon are two-fold: first, she isn't focused at all, second *no one* tries to train her, ever! (plus, she isn't that bright so the hypotetical teacher would have to have patience and ability to explain things clearly. The usual "figure out the esoteric crap on your own" won't work.)
There's also a solid reason of how fast she got hang on it. You could even guess what it is, from reading the scene of HSH training.

But seriously. Do you expect a crossover with Bleach, a prime example of ass-pull, to NOT be contaminated? ;)

>The second series, they find an artist Gummi bear on an island
Ah, I remember him well. As I've seen many episodes involving him, I could imagine I saw all the four seasons. Of course, there's a very high chance that the TV guys mixed the episode order when they did the dub. I surely don't remember any division to "seasons".
Thank you. Now I vaguely remember something about Igthorn teaming up with lady Bane and things getting dramatic. But was it the grand finale or just a some intermediary episode? I cannot tell.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Cheb wrote:]
>You go against convention a bit by this " hollered Akane."
That's the problem. A year ago I had better grasp on these things. But recently I feel it slipping. More and more often I cannot write such constructs on instinct, it returns blank and I grind to a halt trying to figure consciously how to place the words in order. :(...
I guess I have to go on English courses to get a solid conscious knowledge on the grammar and its workings as I cannot trust my subconscious mechanics I used so far (and successfully, dang it!)

It's not incorrect, just not the norm. Which isn't really a bad thing. English is a real pain grammatically, made worse that it isn't really taught all that well to most English speakers. Then ad that the language itself is a Germanic mongrel that then got a whole mess of French thrown in.

Courses, reading, and writing are all good practice.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Wait wasn't there a Special where Drakmore tried drinking Gummy Berry juice 3 times in the same day and turned into a Gummy Bear?

I never saw any information for a 4th season before.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Munchkin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:39 am

Well, the 3 seasons I watched (the Disney DVD box set - Series 1 with 21 episodes, series 2 with 14, and series 3 with 12) featured neither Lady Bane, nor Igthorn turning into a Gummi bear (unless you count the episode where he switches bodies with Tummi using a magic crystal), so i'm guessing there definitely was a 4th season, and it had some form of finalé to it. I'll have to go and find that then, since i'm curious how it ends.
Munchkin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm not sure there was another season. I know the Tummi trouble and a Cubbie situation that was similar from another kind of doppleganger, those are not what I am thinking of.

Close to the turn of the decade I seem to remember there being some special. Kinda like a movie or at least double length episode where that 3 times on the juice situation happens but I am fuzzy on the details. I haven't gotten to see any episodes of Gummy Bears since they were still being aired new.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Stories and C&C