What if… — Idea inklings

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: What if… — Idea inklings

Postby Spica75 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:57 am

And why did it happen, anyway?

Would need a really good reason for it to work...

What about doing the opposite, muggleborns suddenly abound while wizard couples amount of squibs skyrocket...

1. At the end of the first year, some strange blagoonga resulting from V.'s shade trying to possess HO instead of running away and Harry stumbling back into the Mirror, he gets moved about in space (the US, perhaps) and time (say, to 1970). The next time he appears in the UK, he is thirty-something and...

I have read something vaguely like that at least twice. Not using that specific plot, but using a plotdevice to put him elsewhere and return grown up(or with a grownup mind at least).
One was good one was bad, so it certainly has potential.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sat May 10, 2014 5:57 am

Spica75 wrote:What about doing the opposite, muggleborns suddenly abound while wizard couples amount of squibs skyrocket...

That, I suspect, would also be a cause for panic, though for different reasons. Much more likely to happen, too. I was basically wondering what might happen if the influx of new blood the Dumbledore bloc is relying on didn't happen.

I have read something vaguely like that at least twice. Not using that specific plot, but using a plotdevice to put him elsewhere and return grown up(or with a grownup mind at least).

I have read fics of this type (tossed into the past), too. One was a Stargate crossover with HP as Daniel Jackson. I don't think he returned to the UK there, though.
"You can not treat a car like a human! A car needs love!" (W. Röhrl)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:40 pm

General magic, not restricted to HP:

What if... the only difference between magicals and non-magicals was that the former can use it? That is, both can produce it. (Side effect of brain activity? Restricted to species capable of thought/emotions? Extreme case: rational or abstract thought.) The thing is, magicals use a huge lot more magic than they produce. Any 'core' would actually be a collector/condenser. Would the magic users care as long as magic happens?

This stems from an earlier idea: What if humans were the only species that could produce magic, and what if some magic-using native species decided to drive human settlers from their planet or plain exterminate them, and then discovered a drop in the ambient magic they use? Would they try to discover the cause, or accept it as 'just one of those things'?
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:10 pm

General magic, not restricted to HP:

That definitely works as a plot device for a lot of universes.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 am

There is this generic thing, a parable kind of thing: A group finds out that an important resource is dwindling. An investigation, if there is one, uncovers that some of that group's actions, ones they consider important to them, are causing the loss.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Naruto: Hidan, the Jashinist nutter, likes to transfer his pain into others. What if it was a cross-feed? Wouldn't he be shocked if he snared someone that was permanently in huge amounts of pain (as tends to happen to cancer patients in terminal stage) and got their pain transferred to himself?
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Té Rowan wrote:Naruto: Hidan, the Jashinist nutter, likes to transfer his pain into others. What if it was a cross-feed? Wouldn't he be shocked if he snared someone that was permanently in huge amounts of pain (as tends to happen to cancer patients in terminal stage) and got their pain transferred to himself?

Ouch. And there´s quite a bundle of more or less nasty afflictions that could be used for it, to broaden the potential cast used.

Variation, how about something else, like severe dizziness or perhaps a mental problem... :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Something for the HP-verse.

What if the sorting hat effectively becomes "drunk" (confounded ( or just temporarily weird for some reason )), causing it to sort based on the opposite of what it´s supposed to do? Ie place new students where they´re least suitable.

How much could it mess things up? HP among the puffs, Ron anywhere but Gryff(he´s clueless with guile, he abhors hard work and what intelligence he has certainly doesn´t seem to be good for general stuff), Crabbe and Goyle in Ravenclaw, Draco in Gryffindor or Huff., Hermione and Neville in Slytherin...

Let the circus begin.

:mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 am

If the hat is really mixxed up as you say why would he even get what house is for which attribute that accurately? Why not just take everyone from that particular sorting night and roll a D4 die to set up your story. Then wherever they randomly ended up is what you have to work with. Teachers attitudes and upper classmen the same but everyone from that sorting randomly placed.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Spokavriel wrote: If the hat is really mixxed up as you say why would he even get what house is for which attribute that accurately? Why not just take everyone from that particular sorting night and roll a D4 die to set up your story. Then wherever they randomly ended up is what you have to work with. Teachers attitudes and upper classmen the same but everyone from that sorting randomly placed.

Nah, random is waaay not good enough, it could end up as anything, including totally sane placements.

And the hat is supposed to have the house sortiness essentially internalised, so it literally cannot loose track like that anyway. But having the process messed up by something, that should be workable.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:55 pm

After reading a differnt post in this thread about other races with magic.......I got this weird vision all of sudden of deleks cast magic and then using a levatate spell to go up stairs.....or having them attanding hogworts for some very starange reason that is behyound right now....talk about the doctor would not know what to do since the deleks are now helping humans instead of killing them.....
No I do not not what drugsci am doing right now. Its the middle of the afternoon and I hope I am not doing any....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Heh. The Doctor would go spare from trying to work out what is going on.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Don't forget that Daleks can "Elevate" without magic. It likely wouldn't be that surprising. Now a Dalek with wrist dexterity to swish flick and twitch a wand properly that would be impressive.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:45 am

Spokavriel wrote:Don't forget that Daleks can "Elevate" without magic. It likely wouldn't be that surprising. Now a Dalek with wrist dexterity to swish flick and twitch a wand properly that would be impressive.

I somehow got the image in my head of the Doctor doing magic using his sonic screwdriver as a wand.

I should note, the Darleks *have* to be able to manipulate more than would seem likely from the obvious appendages we see. The simple fact of the matter is that were they really that limited, they would never have been able to create the technology we have seem them with.

I really cannot see the Darleks putting up with the crap at Hogwarts... would be interesting to watch them going around blowing up parts though.

All that being said... I far more and away liked the series during the time of the 3rd thru 7th Doctors more than the newer ones (I did actually like the 10th more than the other newer ones for his personality). I truly dislike what the series has done to all the relationships that were made with the Doctor and Unit, and the Doctor and the British government. I feel all this crap with the government and organizations within it turning on him has pretty much ruined the series for me.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs