Harry Potter and the Nerima Trio.

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Harry Potter and the Nerima Trio.

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:22 pm

If you plan on re-reading the Potter books, get them as e-books. That way you can search for characters. It'll make it easier to compile a dossier on them. Won't work for major characters like Harry -- they're everywhere. But for minor characters, it'd be great.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Reading them all as PDF's. But its going to take a re-read because I'm avoiding putting that together the first time through. That and the authress has gone out of her way to use the bare minimum of names inside Hogwarts. You don't even get the names of all the players on the various Quidditch teams in any one year.

Edit: All the books I gave links to in the edit of Page 1's first post I have on hand as PDF's When I go through them the second time I'm basically going to be mining for information building a kind of bible of the world as presented. Everyone and every thing that gets named gets a note. Comments on or quotes from books get collected. Collecting as much as possible so it can be used where needed.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

So did someone obliviate Harry between books 3 and 4 and make him forget about facts of his life?
Was Moody just being his usual paranoid self? Couldn’t someone have put Harry’s name in the goblet as a trick, a practical joke? Did anyone really want him dead?
HOW CAN HE ASK THIS? At least once if not more in all 3 of the previous books someone has tried to kill him. Does he somehow think there was no intent behind it? So yeah Goblet of Fire is turning into a repeatedly Painful read.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 pm

You could simply watch the movies? :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:25 am

No. For starters how the heck would I be able to mine it for even half the information I am saying I want to compile for this? Second place it doesn't show motivations or introspection so the nature of the characters doesn't come across as fully. Parts get left out of all the books when translated to movie form. I also haven't been able to bring myself to watch any of the movies newer than Chamber of Secrets because I don't care for the acting of the main cast.

Consider I have 10 books on this computer not just the 7 of the main series but also the printings of so called Hogwarts books just so I can have a bit more information to work with a more complete picture of the world. The movies aren't going to get anywhere near that.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:22 pm

After reviewing the fan scanlation I have of the Saffron story arc. I can't help feeling that Akane is more interested in Ranma getting cured of his Jusenkyo curse than he is. She also makes a comment about somehow Jusenkyo being restored meaning its not too late without finishing her sentences to the Jusenkyo guide.

Putting those together and the Guide sending the Drowned Man water as a thank you to Ranma... and it being clearly said its enough for one person I can't help but think that he got the impression that Ranma would be marrying Akane who wanted to get cursed to better match Ranma.

Since Soun called the Jusenkyo guide which lead to the water being sent in the first place they do have his number.

So this fic will start with Akane using that number (Her father most likely would have it written down or she could ask him for it.) And the guide asking her if there was any problem with the water she was interested in when they ran into each other in Jusendo and asking if she enjoyed her honeymoon.

That shocks and freaks out Akane leading to her being told (Because its true for any fic I'd end up writing.) there are no cures the curses mix and the water was for her so she could be all Ranma needs.

Adding that he expected her to become a freak or that Ranma might need a freak or worse in her opinion need someone else open enough to service her girl side Akane feels a need to get a break from the dojo with some normal people so she arranges to stay with her friends for a week. Trading off between Yuka and Saiyuri's homes with a couple sleepovers of all 3 of them.

Nodoka having a bit of shock over more or less a repeat of the pill box incident that destroyed her house ends up leaving to check on the progress of its being restored thanks to her insurance policy having covered acts of terrorism and unprovoked martial arts damages. Sure its a costly policy but she wasn't living close to any Dojo so not as expensive as anyone in the Tendo's neighborhood.

The fathers get taken away by Happosai because they did nothing to protect anyone in the whole scenario. Even though Genma was acting out of self interest it was clear that neither of these self proclaimed masters are protecting anything aside from themselves any more so they are due some Re-training.

That leaves Kasumi, Nabiki, and Ranma in the house and picking up the pieces from the failed wedding. The final frames of the Manga where Akane blames Ranma and he says she is also to blame don't happen.

Kasumi and Nabiki are in the house discussing the family resources and what they will need to do as they notice that Ranma has already started cleaning up. The only one to stick around and actually like them seem to be trying to do anything constructive.

They decide to postpone planning and help him finish getting what is intact back in order and they can work on it later tonight.

While they are working Ranma still in girl form slowly starts venting about the various Fiancees as she encounters parts of the mess related to either that Fiancee or the rival who is after them. That leads into them all sharing insights about the events since Ranma got to the Dojo as they are heading in to clean themselves up and take a break for dinner.

Ranma suggests them using the furo first but Nabiki and Kasumi insist its fine for all of them to wash up at the same time as long as Ranma uses cold water since they are all girls anyway. It would let them keep talking and its not like as girls any of them have anything the others haven't seen. Its also not like Ranma can't wait to soak until after the girls even if all of them wash at the same time. And they were almost inlaws yesterday.

Those are a basic outline of how I am thinking about it starting but it still doesn't get to the break from Nerima or even onto the path to England. I'm beginning to think that having them leave before the end of the school year is impossible but that gives more time to work out the messes.

Edit: The end result of the day after the failed wedding is to have everything cleaned up but nothing really repaired at all yet as well as having a clear idea what Ranma's, and the Tendo sisters feelings are.

The next few days will be spent with the Trio getting to know each other better and getting everything between them out in the open before starting to deal with the revelations. One thing the failed wedding appears to prove is there isn't much trust in any of Ranma's relationship options and most options refuse to even consider Ranma's opinion or feelings on the matter.

Anyone know when the Saffron Arc takes place relative to the school year?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby uragaaru » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 am

It's difficult to say, since Takahashi plays fast and loose with the timeline, but I think it's easy enough to just say Saffron happens between March (end of school year) and April (start of next).
uragaaru
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:13 am

Is there a good place written in English to get a calender of the Japanese school year from say 1982ish? Still want to try to get Nabiki Kasumi and Ranma on their way out of Japan by the start of 83 to give them time for adventures to come up later.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby uragaaru » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 am

I think you'll have to extrapolate:

from Wikipedia:

In Japan, almost all schools run a three-term school year (trimester system), and most universities and colleges have a semester system. Most schools with a trimester system have a first term from April 1 to late July. The exact date of the beginning of the summer break and its duration vary across regions, but commonly the break lasts for about 6 weeks. The break originated to avoid the heat in summer, so elementary, middle, and high schools in Hokkaidō and Nagano Prefecture tend to have a shorter summer break than the rest of schools in Japan.

A second term lasts from early September to late December with a 2-week long break for Christmas and New Year's at the end of the year. The term is followed by a third term from early January to late March and a brief week-long spring break. The graduation ceremony occurs in March, and the enrollment ceremony in early April.

Some universities and colleges accept students in September or October in order to let those students from other semester systems enroll. In recent years a few colleges have begun experimenting with having two semesters instead of the traditional three with the break between two semesters in summer.

If you need a more specific guideline... Steal the calendar from one of the persona games and retrofit it for 1982-83 here

For instance, using the 1983 calendar, they could finish school by the 19th of March, Saffron happens, and be gone by the first or second Monday of April.
uragaaru
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Best thing about that calender site is you can change the nation it is showing and get the dates of major events in Japan as well as some slight lunar changes because thanks to the international date line the moon's Totality on either extreme some times ends up on the other days. And for shifting around to other nations during your fic you can have it match.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Ok I'm officially admitting to stalling on continuing reading. Are you sure the numbers on book sales after Goblet of Fire aren't faked? Just Harry looking for a date for the Yule Ball and not taking the time to tell anyone that you don't exactly get a chance to learn to dance locked under a stair case alone is making it painful again to attempt reading.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby ChasTaro » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:48 am

Was reading the posts for your idea, and saw that there was some back and forth about Ranma and Magic. How about Ranma's girl side has magic, boy side sealed. That could add a twist to your story.
Ranma got the curse when he was 15, or 16. so would have been off the radar to detect young magic users to send to school. This would also open up Ranma getting a wand, and some books or scrolls and tring to teach himself some magic while in female form. Well just a thought I had after reading through your Idea.

ChasTaro
If you live to seek revenge, dig a grave for two.
ChasTaro
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 am

The way I was thinking about completely sealed magic (making someone blind to it as any muggle) is similar to shiatsu, the energy flows for certain essential areas are more or less identical between men and women but the Neko-ken is spiritually different so the blocks are in the wrong place to inhibit it.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes