Jackie Chan in Ranma 1/2

Post any fanfiction related polls here

Would Jackie Chan make an interesting addition to the Ranma 1/2 universe? (Read post.)

Poll ended at Fri May 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes. There's much potential for amusement, there.
20%
Yes. There's much potential for amusement, there.
20%
Possibly. I just find it hard to see where he would fit in.
20%
Possibly. I just find it hard to see where he would fit in.
20%
Not really. He may get into wacky situations, but he himself isn't all that antagonistic to Ranma's character.
No votes
Not really. He may get into wacky situations, but he himself isn't all that antagonistic to Ranma's character.
No votes
Nah. I think all of the other characters have all of the bases covered.
10%
Nah. I think all of the other characters have all of the bases covered.
10%
NO! Because it wouldn't be Jackie Chan 1/2! He wouldn't be the star! I won't allow it! >_<
No votes
NO! Because it wouldn't be Jackie Chan 1/2! He wouldn't be the star! I won't allow it! >_<
No votes

Total votes : 10

Jackie Chan in Ranma 1/2

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Assume, for this occurrence, that Jackie Chan's strength is like those of the other martial artists. He's no stranger to martial arts comedy, as well as slapstick. So, let's say he got a recurring role in the series, much like Ryoga has...
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:01 pm

I think you'd have to get rid of all the Saotomes to make the Nerima situation work with the Jackie Chan adventures characters. Well Genma could still be around but Ranma and Nodoka provide elements I just can't see working out with Jackie Jade or worse Uncle. It's not they would conflict I could even see them getting along. The problem is those 2 characters in Ranma 1/2 don't really do anything that could be useful when in interaction with the Jackie Chan Adventure characters. Everyone else has something weird enough about them to work. But well Ranma has skill and problems. Nodoka lacks skill and has an obsession centered on Ranma. In the long run their almost too normal as people. Even more so than Captain Black.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:08 pm

I think Crescent Pulsar was just referring to Jackie Chan in general, not Jackie Chan Adventures. Though I have seen at least one attempt to cross Ranma with JCA... but I don't think it worked as well (it didn't really explain the Saotome family's relation/connection with Jackie's family, IIRC, so...)
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 pm

I've only seen a couple Jackie Chan movies. I don't think what I have seen in most of those movies could play out in Nerima with Ranma there. So it still has a similar conflict. But I do think allot of fun situations could come from all the rest of the Cartoon cast of Jackie Chan adventures. The movie Jackie Chan would do better crossing over with James Bond. Or dropping into the True Lies movie.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:25 pm

As Mike Koos guessed, it's Jackie Chan in general. And he plays many roles in his movies; it's just a matter of picking a suitable one for him. There should be plenty of flexibility for inserting him into the Ranma 1/2 universe.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:30 pm

Spokavriel wrote: I've only seen a couple Jackie Chan movies. I don't think what I have seen in most of those movies could play out in Nerima with Ranma there. So it still has a similar conflict. But I do think allot of fun situations could come from all the rest of the Cartoon cast of Jackie Chan adventures. The movie Jackie Chan would do better crossing over with James Bond. Or dropping into the True Lies movie.

Hrm. You just want someone to have Uncle interact with the Ranma characters, that's all. :)

I think they already tried a Bond-type film with The Tuxedo, but I'm not sure... haven't really had a chance to watch it, yet.
Last edited by Makoto on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't really see Jackie Chan adding much since I read Ranma is actually based on a mix of Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and Spider-man.

Quote from Rumiko Takahishi:

"I used to watch a lot of Jackie Chan movies. There is also, of course, Bruce Lee and Enter the Dragon"

Spiderman is mentioned as being what she read in Junior Highschool and she collects spiderman comics.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Makoto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Well, there could always be a magical artifact that turns Jackie into a duplicate of Ranma. Fun ensues. :)
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:38 pm

I really think that if Jackie Chan were in Ranma 1/2 it would end up with no one having the spotlight and the best relationship you could come up with is Jackie somehow being little buddy to Ranma. Which I do not see as possible. But the personalities just do not work the other way around. And even then when Jackie is in a Team scenario who in Ranma 1/2 would even try to go for him. Why? There is nothing for Jackie to do any more than there is for Shampoo when Ranma is fighting against Saffron.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:46 am

Well, there are a few simple routes to take. For one, Soun doesn't necessarily have to be the only one that ever promised to marry off a daughter, if he ever had one. And Jackie Chan doesn't have to be his real-life age. (Jackie Chan goes waaaaay back.) He could also, say, board at the Tendo house while he learns their martial arts. He could play a supplemental role, like Tofu and Hinako do. Or, as is the case in several of his movies, he could start out as a regular guy (who happens to be good at martial arts ;p) who gets caught up in their shenanigans.

A little imagination can go a long way in finding a role for him, however big or small it may be.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:00 am

With the amount of weird and just plane wrong crossovers out there, I think crossing over with another martial artist could easily work. Also It doesnt even have to be jackie chan in the movies, it could be something like jackie chan the actor who is Ranma's idol or something. Maybe Ranma could become a martial arts actor and meet him on set while working together on a movie and become good freinds. I dunno, the possibilities are endless.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:20 am

Actually, that's a good idea. At the very least, if not an idol, I can see Ranma enjoying some of his movies. And, at the very least, it'd be interesting to see Ranma playing some part in a new movie (being filmed in Japan, of course).
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Return to Polls