End the Morning fights!

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby Zwzn » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:20 am

Spokavriel wrote: Ranma's informal speech had to be carried across some way. And if I remember correctly there are no plural forms of words in Japanese. So what translated as Guys was just as likely a guy.
This is the entire conversation just for easy reference.

Viz Vol.1 Page 90 to 92
Akane: This is Your fault.

Ranma: My fault? It was your fight, remember?

Akane: Yes, but Every morning... ...I finish MY fight before school starts!

Ranma: What was that all about, anyway?

Akane: Kuno told them...

T.Kuno:(Flashback): If you wish to take Akane out... DEFEAT her! I will permit no other terms!

Ranma: You mean you fight with Kuno every morning?!

Akane: And for some rean I always win!

Ranma: Well, when a guy fights a girl... ...he lets up a lot.

Akane: Don't underestimate me.

Akane: Try me for real sometime.

Ranma: No way.

Ranma: Violent or not... you're still a girl. I couldn't do it.

Ranma: W-wait...

Akane:About to try to splash Ranma with a bucket of cold water: How about if You're a girl?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Ezvir » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:57 am

Spokavriel wrote: Ranma's informal speech had to be carried across some way. And if I remember correctly there are no plural forms of words in Japanese.

Yes, mostly. There are ways to mark words as plural, but most of those are only applicable to people, not things.

So what translated as Guys was just as likely a guy.

Neither, actually. There is no word that could be translated as guy or guys by any stretch of imagination in that sentence, and the fact that Ranma is talking about guys/a guy can only be understood from context. But that's perfectly normal. Japanese and English are different enough that in an average translation something like 40% of the words will not have a direct equivalent, and when it's casual conversation that is translated in a way to make it sound natural in the traget language it will be more like 70%. That's one of the reasons why arguing about the fine implications of a particular wording in a translation is utterly pointless. And that's without even talking about something like the Ranma Project translations where significant portions are completely made up, with no basis in the Japanese text whatsoever.
If there is interest I can do a 'nitpickable' translation of that conversation, sticking to a close equiviatent of the Japanese version where possible and explaining the differences where not.
Ezvir
Senshi Cadet

Re: End the Morning fights!

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Zwzn wrote:How could Akane have ended the morning fights?

Try to come up with ways that don't include someone's death.

If Akane could have gotten some Jusenkyo Water (Spring of the Drown Girl especially) and liberally sprayed the Hentai Horde, after a few soakings, I think it would have cooled the interest of the rest. Kuno too.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:57 pm

Oh boy just imagine all the nightmares that would make for the girls of Furinkin. IF all of the Hentai Horde had female forms and were using them to go into the girls bathrooms and locker rooms. That is a nightmare I'd love to challenge someone to write even though I would be afraid to read it. Most of the Horde didn't have common sense.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 am

She could also pass out cookies to all her admirers. A few broken teeth and stomach aches will cut down on their numbers and interest.

Isn't this in conflict with the original condition for the question?
Try to come up with ways that don't include someone's death.

Akane's cooking could very well be deadly. :P It's just that Ranma developed a high tolerance for it :P Then again, it's nowehere in canon stated that the food will cause more then stomach-cramps or something.

As to stopping the fights, I'm with the speech idea. Try to make Kuno eat his words. Then again, he's so delusional at some points that's gonna be a hard feat to do.

A more feasable idea would be to pay Nabiki and make the trouble go away like that, tho Nabiki wouldn't really be interested in ending it due to the betting pools.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:32 am

I feel it is my duty to point out that the idea of Nabiki running betting pools is fanon. She does it once, in the anime canon; at Ryoga and Ranma's first official arranged duel. She never does it again in either canon. And the only canon profit she's making from the morning fights is, presumably, selling photos of Akane to Tatewaki Kuno.

And anyone else noticed that Kuno buys (or at least is sold) only photos of Akane working out, but gets photos of Ranma-chan in far more indecent situations?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:40 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:And anyone else noticed that Kuno buys (or at least is sold) only photos of Akane working out, but gets photos of Ranma-chan in far more indecent situations?

I think that's beacause Nabiki had limits, at least in the beginning of the series. Akane is her sister, and she cares about her family, at least a little. She's never shown selling pictures of Akane after that.

There's also the fact that Ranma doesn't seem to pay attention to what gender he is, at least at home. To me, all the pictures Nabiki took look like Ranma's just relaxing at the house, exactly as he would in male form. Except not wearing anything up top isn't that good of an idea in his female form.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:04 pm

Drawde wrote:I think that's beacause Nabiki had limits, at least in the beginning of the series. Akane is her sister, and she cares about her family, at least a little. She's never shown selling pictures of Akane after that.

There's also the fact that Ranma doesn't seem to pay attention to what gender he is, at least at home. To me, all the pictures Nabiki took look like Ranma's just relaxing at the house, exactly as he would in male form. Except not wearing anything up top isn't that good of an idea in his female form.

Yup. Nabiki _sells_ Ranma later on, a limit she hasn't done to Akane.

And yes, Ranma acts like a guy relaxing. Likely, the impact Nabiki taking of pictures of him relaxing isn't much. Akane would immediately notice/be mindful of anyone taking pictures of her in revealing photos, but likely Ranma is thinking (or at least, subconsciously) "hey, it doesn't matter to me, I'm a guy". Nabiki realizes this and capitalizes on it.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Well think about it. All his life, going around topless was a common thing (and you can imagine it being common /espeically/ for Ranma)...it's probable Ranma just instinctually doesn't think about it the way a woman would, not even a "doesn't matter to me" but more a "huh? I'm doing what now?"
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Drawde » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:56 pm

TerraEpon wrote:Well think about it. All his life, going around topless was a common thing (and you can imagine it being common /espeically/ for Ranma)...it's probable Ranma just instinctually doesn't think about it the way a woman would, not even a "doesn't matter to me" but more a "huh? I'm doing what now?"

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. He doesn't pay attention to which gender he is.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:04 am

Spokavriel wrote: Ranma's informal speech had to be carried across some way. And if I remember correctly there are no plural forms of words in Japanese. So what translated as Guys was just as likely a guy.
You also have to take into acount that the H.Hord was not trying to kill, or hurt Akane. They wanted to defeat her, and then date her. If she was badly hurt it would defeat the purpose of the morning fights.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma