What events do you find contrived?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby Alathon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:35 pm

DCG wrote:I all ways found how serrious they tried to pass off that great handicap amusing.

Not like ranma's beeen cursed for months by then, training mostly 24-7..

Size counts in a fight, and so does reach. There are good reasons that fighting-oriented sports (boxing, wrestling, etc..) are gender-segregated and have weight categories. Size and reach do not determine the outcome of a fight, but they are substantial components of it... and if skill levels are comparable, as they supposedly were at the point in the manga where Ranma first fought Mousse, those advantages can be telling.
"Last week, I tried praying. But I found I was only talking to myself. Don't worry, I learned my lesson last time. This time, no disciples!" - N. Reynolds, To Tell a Hawk from a Handsaw
Alathon
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LadyRelena » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:04 am

I have a contrived moment.

In the "One To Carry On" OAV the two sisters were extremely skilled in the Anything Goes arts while Akane barely trained at all. [From the Eng Sub] Quote Nabiki: "Akane only does martial arts to avoid dieting, these days. The air to the Anything Goes School of Martial Art's is useless." Here is the link to it on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f1P9i2a ... re=related
Akane then goes to train for a week and suddenly she's just as good as Natsume and Kurumi. Those two have been training their whole lives to get to where they were while Akane only trained for a week and suddenly she's at the same level. Weak :roll:
Ranma/Shampoo, Ranma/Kurumi, Ryoga/Anna, and Ukyo/Ryuu
LadyRelena
Senshi Cadet

Postby Siden » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:14 am

I have a contrived moment.
In the "One To Carry On" OAV the two sisters were extremely skilled in the Anything Goes arts while Akane barely trained at all. [From the Eng Sub] Quote Nabiki: "Akane only does martial arts to avoid dieting, these days. The air to the Anything Goes School of Martial Art's is useless." Here is the link to it on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f1P9i2a ... re=related
Akane then goes to train for a week and suddenly she's just as good as Natsume and Kurumi. Those two have been training their whole lives to get to where they were while Akane only trained for a week and suddenly she's at the same level. Weak

Nothing unusual about that. Pretty much a standard for any martial-arts series, manga or anime. Heck, it shows up pretty often in other genres as well, such as mecha and racing.

Size counts in a fight, and so does reach. There are good reasons that fighting-oriented sports (boxing, wrestling, etc..) are gender-segregated and have weight categories. Size and reach do not determine the outcome of a fight, but they are substantial components of it... and if skill levels are comparable, as they supposedly were at the point in the manga where Ranma first fought Mousse, those advantages can be telling.

True but speed, stamina, endurance, manoeuvrability, and tactics also play a big part in a fight.
Note: I classify stamin and endurance as two linked but seperate things. Stamina is how many hits it takes to put you down, while endurance is how many hits it takes to keep you down. Some people, like myself, have little of the former but lots of the later. You can easily knock us down, but we keep geting back up. Then there are "tanks" like Ryoga, who have large amounts of stamina and endurance.

The heights seem much more consistent in either anime TV, or anime OAV than the original manga. However, some (likely yourself as well) would argue those series don't matter, as they are not manga canon, which conflicts with my own views on canon.

Starting to get off topic here guys. I'll make another thread so you can continue if you wish.
HERE
Last edited by Siden on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:17 am

Was she actually at their level though? At first, she was fighting only the disheartened Kurumi, who didn't really want to fight her (case in point; she didn't use that 'burning hot ribbon' trick of hers from the previous OAV), and then the more serious Natsume stepped... and when that happened, Ranma showed up. Ranma was the one who defeated the two- he/she used his/her horizontal Hiryu Shoten Ha to jet-propel Akane forward; she did kick them in the head, but only because they were half-blinded by the glare and because they weren't anticipating her to come at them so fast.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LadyRelena » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:20 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Was she actually at their level though? At first, she was fighting only the disheartened Kurumi, who didn't really want to fight her (case in point; she didn't use that 'burning hot ribbon' trick of hers from the previous OAV), and then the more serious Natsume stepped... and when that happened, Ranma showed up. Ranma was the one who defeated the two- he/she used his/her horizontal Hiryu Shoten Ha to jet-propel Akane forward; she did kick them in the head, but only because they were half-blinded by the glare and because they weren't anticipating her to come at them so fast.

I think it was Kurumi who made the statement "Akane you've improved!" She did seen pretty impressed. Also, Akane did counter all of her moves. Weather Kurumi was disheartened or not, I suppose she could have been, given that she is very thoughtful and sweet to Akane ( For some reason :roll: ). Oh well, either way it's BS to me.
Ranma/Shampoo, Ranma/Kurumi, Ryoga/Anna, and Ukyo/Ryuu
LadyRelena
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:45 am

I personally look on that remark as her way of saying "you've actually gotten better", a compliment that she's willing to try and improve herself. But it was still Kurumi's lack of will to fight back that allowed Akane to nearly win- it is still contrived, but not as badly as in your interpretation of events.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:39 pm

When Ranma moves in with his mom he becomes really depressed.

When under the full body cat's tongue and fighting Mousse Ranma does not seem to be able to even try to compensate for the change in body size.

The characters thinking Akane is somehow shielding Ranma during his fight with Saffron.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:52 am

Why do you find Ranma being depressed at moving into Nodoka's place contrived? I admit I'm not to good with the manga canon, but isn't the Tendo Dojo the closest thing he's had to a real home since he first left on his training trip? Not to mention that, while he might not love her, he does have a deep emotional attachment to Akane (like he does to his father).

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby whatever » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:53 am

The moment that I found contrived in the arc when Ranma moves with his mother is the fact that Ukyo, Kodachi and Shampoo have destroyed Nodoka's house just to make Ranma moves again with the Tendos and gave Nodoka a bad impression about Ranma's other fiances.
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:01 am

I don't recall if Nodoka is ever told they are the other fiancées It is a bit much even for the NWC to completely demolish a house over what may be a ring.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:41 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Why do you find Ranma being depressed at moving into Nodoka's place contrived? I admit I'm not to good with the manga canon, but isn't the Tendo Dojo the closest thing he's had to a real home since he first left on his training trip? Not to mention that, while he might not love her, he does have a deep emotional attachment to Akane (like he does to his father).
Ranma has made emotional attachments to people before, and had to suddenly leave, and likely never see those people again yet there is no sign he got depressed before. Ranma wss acting like he was never going to see any of his "friends" again, and the level of depression seemed OOC. In this case Ranma could still see Ukyo and the Tendos every day even if his mom lived on the other side of Tokyo given the way Ranma moves, and he wanted to get to know his mom. Ranma was just getting a new room down the hall basicly.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma