Ranmaverse martial artists: what might they be capable of?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Ranmaverse martial artists: what might they be capable of?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:16 pm

This is just a question that began forming in my mind earlier and I thought I'd ask it of these forums; what sort of things do you think a highly trained Ranmaverse martial artist might be capable of doing, given the evidence we've seen throughout the series?

Why, in the anime canon alone, usually derided as the weaker canon, we've seen...
-Tremendous physical strength, speed, endurance, pain tolerance and healing rates
-The ability to destroy any inanimate material with a touch (Breaking Point, Ranma shattering Mousse's scythe-blades with his fingers, Cologne turning a log into an ear-pick with rapid-fire jabs), as well as to channel this ability by mediums (Cologne catches an I-beam on the tip of her staff and disintegrates it)
-Telekinesis (Cologne's Fist of the Ice Bear, arguably Happosai's Aura-Serpent Attack and/or Mao-Ranma's telekinesis) and possibly Aerokinesis (Cologne's whirlwind conjuration technique)
-Aura manipulation for illusions (Cologne's Splitting Cat Hairs) and growth (Happosai)
-Distorting space to carry ridiculous amounts of stuff (Mousse- the guy carried around a solid iron bomb roughly three times his size)
-Concentrating emotions into energy blasts (Shi Shi Hokodan and Moko Takabish)

And that's just off the top of my head.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Ranmaverse martial artists: what might they be capable o

Postby Ezvir » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:43 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:T
Mousse- the guy carried around a solid iron bomb roughly three times his size)

Nothing like that in the Manga, though. And no outright telekinesis with action at distance without a medium.
There is mind control (Shampoo on Akane in the soap arc), and being frozen solid doesn't incapacitate them beyond some moderate stiffness and being potentially breakable.
Ezvir
Senshi Cadet

Postby antimatterenergy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Nothing like that in the Manga, though

Not to that extent but still in the manga. Mousse can throw his chains while in duck form did so during the Saffron arc to use it as a grappling hook. Also does Happosai pulling out a truly massive firecracker out of his gi count as doing that?

And no outright telekinesis with action at distance without a medium.

That depends does Happosai holding Ranma via his aura count as telekinesis or does the use of aura count as a medium?

Lot of stuff. I don't feel like making a list of what has been seen and what can be extrapolated from them at this time though but here is some off the top of my head:

Creation of a tornado.

Ranma can cut a perfect circle in a stone wall barehanded - does so while pretending to be Ryoga's maid.

Can generate cold - requirement for Hiryu Shoten Ha

Can manipulate wind currents - Ranma does so to move around with in the Tornado created by the Hiryu Shoten Ha

Generate heat - Emotional aura's are hot as demonstrated in Hiryu Shoten Ha arc, Akane mistaking heat from hair drier for Kasumi's anger aura, Ranma and Ryoga's blast burning the mushrooms of aging, and perfect version of ki blasts leave steaming creators.

Can make things at least partially intangible - Only way possible for Happosai to dress Ranma/ Soun without the clothes tearing or Ranma to have stolen Shampoo's bra through her shirt with out inflicting damage to the garments in last story arc.

Breaking point does not work on any inanimate object just most - whatever the taps at Jusendo are made of could not be damaged by Ryoga. It took Ranma slamming an extremely powerful tornado with cutting force into it to break it.

Incredible accuracy - Ranma has thrown things with spectacular precision - like throwing a pencil into a yen coin from meters away while clinging to the ceiling.

Energy blades - Made of various energies - Kuno did so via air pressure, Ryu did so via creation of a vacuum, and Herb did so via raw ki. Probably could be created via other materials as well like water - use the technique done so with Ryoga's bandanna's but apply it to water.

Ki can be shaped into usable objects - Herb created a sword out of ki with the plan to cut Ranma's head off with it.

Could probably combine breaking point with ki blast and create a localized earthquake.

Can use aura to manipulate things. Make cloth tougher (like Ryoga's belt), have cutting edge, make ribbon/noodles stronger and weave across room like a living thing and lift things with it, make paper tougher (paper fan used to stop and then redirect force of Happosai's punch).

Lucky Happosai's friend had a mesmerizing technique that didn't work on Ranma.

Ki can be used to float like Herb does or be used as a propellant (like jet fuel) Miss Hinako does this while trying to teach Akane to swim.

Various body manipulation - Already mentioned remote control acupuncture, cat tongue pressure point, weakness moxibition, and sleep point.

Invisibility - Arguable ability of Umisenken (lot of debate on this) but definite ability in Anime where Happosai's old friend does it but doesn't work on little kids.

Multiple body technique - Konatsu has it but didn't use it in combat. Ranma made mention of it being a legendary technique.

Ability to cling to surfaces - like Ranma does to ceilings, walls, running up a telephone pole

Iron skin technique probably possible if not skin than at least clothes using same technique that toughened bandanna's/belt/paper fan.

Ninja Body switch technique - like how Ranma switches with a stick, teddy bear, or statue at various points.

Likely has enhanced senses - Ranma was able to hear guy who kidnapped him contemplating killing Ranma from a fairly good distance.

ability to build up aura - Ranma build up aura while in girl form at hot spring island.

Throw more than one ki blast at same time - Ranma does this - Moko Takabisha double

Can vary the size of ki blasts - Ranma throws little ones while practicing and likely that can vary speed of them as well but unknown.

Danger sense - many characters have demonstrated this.

Ability to control animals like Cologne does with a shark.

More can be created by combining techniques, more would have no applicable combat uses (insufficient power or takes to long to set up or just useless in battle), more can be extrapolated, and I probably didn't mention/think of some.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 am

Frankly, anything so long as it's funny and has the words Martial Arts placed in front of it.

I'm the GrandMaster of Martial Arts Solar Extinguishment! See my ultimate attack! Sun goes out.
That's impressive! Can you turn it back on?
Don't be ridiculous, that goes against everything our school stands for!
RANMA, THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!
After the beating from the entire cast, Ranma has to rediscover the lost art of Marital Arts Solar Reignition. Then the final battle with the sun blinking on and off like a strobe, until Akane has a seizure from it and Ranma goes ballistic.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:26 am

That's a bit over the top but it is a good point. Look at the other Martial Arts that got dragged in over the course of the stories. 2 schools of Martial Arts Tea Ceramony, Martial arts eating, Martial arts Ice Skating, Martial Arts Rythmic Gymnastics, Martial Arts Okonomiyaki, Martial Arts Crepes, An overall temple to Martial Arts cooking in that Crepe King incident which U-chan went to so she could get the fighting spirit back into her food. Umbrella fencing.

There's enough varied styles in the series to look at the schools of Nerima martial arts and think of them how Daniel-san described Mr Miyagi's training methods in Karate Kid 3. Take the way you shaped that pot he could make a martial arts lesson out of it. Well Nerima takes it to the next level and makes entire martial arts styles out of chosen routines.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Vilkath » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:41 am

If there were any limits in Ranma 1/2 I would say it is the scale of things. Most their moves are about skill, finess and enhancing themself to beyond normal human levels. They are however basicaly human and I doubt we ever see planet destroyer level of attacks like in DBZ.

Even some of Ranma's best fights only destroyed some mountains, and those were more of a result of multiple attacks on both sides, not one single blast from Ranma.

The Ranma cast as a whole also seems to either lack the fine control, or massive stores of Ki to be able do some things as well like flying. Herb can only really manage to levitate and he's pumping out tons of energy and no one else seemed to really be able even get that far. Despite knowing it's something Ranma would love to do and really should of tried to copy.

I agree with the others though, long as it's martial arts and funny Ranma and friends could probably do it. Martial arts acounting, hehe Ranma calling the IRS or japanese equivilent on Nabiki.
"A hero is just the brave idiot who charged a dragon and didn't die."
Vilkath
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:24 pm

You guys do realize that there are real life martial arts styles just as strange as the ones in the manga. Capoeira is martial arts dance. Cheerleading is a treated as a martial arts at some academies here in the city I live in (teaches martial arts, dance, and cheerleading and combines them -since they all have similarities a kata isn't very different from a dance and learning to use a cheerleading baton isn't that different from learning how to use a polearm). Farming martial arts is what was taught farmers to prepare for battle using farming implements when they were called into fight (hoe, ax, pitch fork). Martial arts is part of Shinto religion (ex. there is a scroll from the 7th century bc that is a mix of martial arts and shinto spirit and Tengu supposedly teach mortals martial arts) and in Buddhism (temple monks study it). Martial arts acting exists - there are schools in Hong Kong that teach martial arts for movie application that is a mix of Chinese opera and martial arts -Jackie Chan trained at one. Tea ceremony is linked to martial arts in that it has same structure - masters, grandmasters, students and takes decades to master and requires control. Fighting times magazine even had a list of some of the stranger ones but I don't have that anymore but do remember that there is a version of Shoalin Bushido were they have a kata that revolves on the use of verbal aggression, natural stances and sucker punches.

Even some of Ranma's best fights only destroyed some mountains, and those were more of a result of multiple attacks on both sides, not one single blast from Ranma.

The Ranma cast as a whole also seems to either lack the fine control, or massive stores of Ki to be able do some things as well like flying. Herb can only really manage to levitate and he's pumping out tons of energy and no one else seemed to really be able even get that far. Despite knowing it's something Ranma would love to do and really should of tried to copy.

Flight like in Dragon Ball Z does not appear possible in the Ranmaverse using ki. Herbs floating and Miss Hinako using ki to propel herself into the air both used the rebound of ki blasts to achieve it so flight would likely require continues rebound. Flight via magic though is possible. Also could combine techniques to fly - take a cape use technique that toughens cloth to make it a hang glider, then manipulate wind currents to fly, or create a vacuum ahead of you to pull you forward (like how Ranma used Ryu's vacuum to bury Ryu), or use ki blasts to propel you forward while the cloth keeps you floating.

They might be able to blow up mountains using a single blast. The thing is it's not practical to do so and would likely take time to build up the power for the blast. Regular ki blasts are fast but more powerful ones like the perfect shi shi hadoken took longer since the energy had to gather and goes up before coming down. So if given time to they might be able build up the ki to generate a blast that size but in a ordinary battle they wouldn't be given the time since their opponent would be attacking them. They do have the energy to do so since they have done so via multiple attacks and they can throw blasts for long periods of time (Ranma and Ryoga spend hours tossing ki blasts at each other when they both first knew how to before Ryoga developed more powerful version -build up that energy and release it all at once would likely be more than powerful enough).
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma