General Questions mk 2

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby Drawde » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:56 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:*While I know that Ryoga doesn't do anything perverted when cuddling up to Akane as P-chan, isn't his masquerading as Akane's pet and basically allowing her to tell him her innermost secrets, hopes and feelings, something of an abuse of the trust she feels for him as a human being?

Probably, but this was never explored in either series.

*I was just reading through the "Calling the Old Man Out" section of the TV Tropes website, and in the Ranma 1/2 entry, it claims that Kasumi actually told Genma off -to the extent to yelling at him- whilst asking why he would be so stupid as to go to Jusenkyo in the first place. Does this happen in the manga or something? Because nothing like that happens in the anime, I can tell you that.

Yes, both Kasumi AND Nabiki yelled at Genma during that scene in the manga. This was before Takahashi had settled on the personalities fully though. In the beginning, both of them had more character.

*On a similar note, in the anime version of Nodoka's introduction, there is a scene where "Ranko" and "Mr. Panda" are talking in the dojo. After Mr. Panda refuses to do... something, can't recall what off the top of my head (I think it was tied to either Nodoka or Jusenkyo), Ranko hands him a tanto and then pulls out a sword, which she begins to chase him with under the intention of cutting him into little pieces (not that I blame her/him). Does this scene occur in the manga version as well?

Ranma was mad at Genma, and basically asked him to "honor" the contract, since Ranma was cursed, and handed him the tanto, while he had the katana. Genma ran of, with Ranma chasing him with the katana. Then Nodoka appeared, I THINK with a bowl of soup, and nearly dumped it on Ranma. That calmed him down pretty quickly.

*By the way, what is the sword Ranko wields in the aforementioned scene? The Saotome Honor/Family Sword? Or just a daito?

I'm pretty sure it was the family sword.

*I've heard here and there that Azusa Shiratori is rich, or at least is well-off financially. Is this true?

In the anime, there's a couple scenes showing Azusa's house, and I think it's pretty big.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:58 am

Just a thought I had. Which Hogwarts house would de different NWC members best? And I don't mean only the teens but every major player in the Ranma universe.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:45 pm

I was just recalling an episode from the 5th(?) season of the anime; in this episode, it is stated that Happosai was born under a special and very lucky conjunction of stars, but once each century, the pattern reverses, causing him terrible luck. In the episode, Happosai becomes very withdrawn and lethargic, and is seemingly ready to die- it also causes snow, in the middle of summer, followed by pouring rains that last for ages.

Now, while I know that probably contradicts the manga canon, I was curious; could Happosai's "lucky sign" be an explanation for how he manages to get away with so (relatively) little trouble, despite his perversion, and/or how he manages to survive all of the trouble he *does* get into to?

On a semi-related topic; which is the most likely cause for the other memebers of the household taking ill? Happosai's "malignance" (it's stated in the episode his bad luck will spread and cause suffering for others around him as well), or the stench from the magical elixir that Akane has been allowed to make without any supervision?

And this is something I just started wondering; are the ways that Ryoga/Kuno/Mousse pursue the girl that they want really any different to the way that Ukyo/Kodachi/Shampoo pursue the guy that they want? I mean, Mousse generally tries to make a doormat of himself for Shampoo, interspersing that with homicidal violence towards his rival... but, then again, he's also been chasing her for 13 years without any sign of interest on her part, and Shampoo makes it clear that she doesn't even care if he lives or dies. Shampoo, on the other part, rarely spends any time around Ranma (compared to Akane, who lives with him and attends school with him, and Ukyo, who is his classmate) and gets definate mixed messages from Ranma; on one hand, he runs from her and has insulted her, but on occasions he has acted in a way that could be defined as 'encouraging' or even 'interested' (saving her from Maomolin's, trying to woo her during the Reversal Jewel affair, instinctively grabbing her and carrying her to safety during the anime's Japanese Nanniichuan story, trying to save her from Pink & Link, coming to her rescue against Ling-Ling & Lung-Lung, etc)...
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:57 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Now, while I know that probably contradicts the manga canon, I was curious; could Happosai's "lucky sign" be an explanation for how he manages to get away with so (relatively) little trouble, despite his perversion, and/or how he manages to survive all of the trouble he *does* get into to?

He's really good at redirecting the anger he causes in women at other people, like Ranma, Genma, and Soun. If he had that kind of luck, he wouldn't get caught and mauled by angry female mobs as often as he does.

And this is something I just started wondering; are the ways that Ryoga/Kuno/Mousse pursue the girl that they want really any different to the way that Ukyo/Kodachi/Shampoo pursue the guy that they want?

That's the point. There really is little difference, especially in the case of Mousse's pursuit of Shampoo. That's a deliberate plot element.

The real question is what Shampoo would do if Mousse suddenly dropped his interest in her in favor of another girl. Would she react the same way Ranma does? Perhaps not, but she is the most like him in terms of her ego.

As for Kuno and Ryouga... It's certain that Akane would be relieved if Kuno lost interest in her. As for Ryouga, that's laid out in canon. She's only marginally aware of Ryouga's interest, and doesn't return it at all. Mostly, she is oblivious to it. So when he finally does begin to show interest in another girl - Akari - she actively encourages it. So her relation to Kuno and Ryouga is different from the girls' relation to Ranma, in that while Ranma has many problems caused by their interest, his ego won't allow him to let them go even when there is a real opportunity for it. Akane would and does willingly allow her "suitors" to move on.

Ukyou also has her own stalkers - Tsubasa, and to a far lesser extent, Konatsu. While her relationship with Konatsu has a potential to turn into a mutual attraction, there's no doubt that she'd be ecstatic if Tsubasa went his merry way.

Shampoo, on the other part, rarely spends any time around Ranma (compared to Akane, who lives with him and attends school with him, and Ukyo, who is his classmate) and gets definite mixed messages from Ranma; on one hand, he runs from her and has insulted her, but on occasions he has acted in a way that could be defined as 'encouraging' or even 'interested' (saving her from Maomolin's, trying to woo her during the Reversal Jewel affair, instinctively grabbing her and carrying her to safety during the anime's Japanese Nanniichuan story, trying to save her from Pink & Link, coming to her rescue against Ling-Ling & Lung-Lung, etc)...

Maomaolin doesn't count. Shampoo forced Ranma's involvment in that situation. In many of the others, Shampoo's opponents went looking for Ranma because of her interest in him. As for rescuing her from potential harm, he does that for all the girls, so they can interpret the reason why as they please.

But yes, Ranma does send very mixed signals to all of his female suitors. That's because he really is an egotistical jerk. However much he protests about their pursuit of him, he loves the attention and doesn't want to give it up.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:28 am

Dumbledork wrote:Just a thought I had. Which Hogwarts house would de different NWC members best? And I don't mean only the teens but every major player in the Ranma universe.

If you're doing that for a fic, try and put yourself in the character's heads and take some of the sorting hat quizzes that abound. There used to be a 'Kuno's Life' test that checked if you could both be Tatewaki Kuno, and get Akane. It was over a hundred 'actions' to arrive at your score.

I'm not ashamed to say I not only scored 100% Kuno, I got Akane, and even got a date with the tree-borne kettle girl.

The problem is the tests are somewhat inconsistent, so you get your results and take the one you think fits best.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:00 am

It's not for a fic. Just curiosity. I'm writing a Ranma/HP fic at the moment (I'm at 7,000 words) but Ranma won't attend Hogwarts but Beauxbatons and the NWC will attend Furinkan Magical School.

It was just a thought I had when I look at the characters of the Nerimans and what would fit best (some of them COULD fit into other houses, but I think these are the best matches).

For example Ranma and Ryoga would definitely fit into Gryffindor (they are courageous, loyal to the fault, and also reckless. And they have some honor, although it's sometimes borderline)

Ukyo into Gryffindor

Shampoo into Slytherin (she can be devious and has the Amazon nation's arrogance)

Kodachi into Slytherin (psychotic, devious and very arrogant)

Kuno into Gryffindor.

Nabiki definitely Slytherin

Akane probably Hufflepuff (since she's average in some things and very bad in others)

Kasumi maybe Ravenclaw (she likes to read)
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Khortez » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:25 am

Well, if you go by the manga canon, then:

Ryouga: Hufflepuff
Ranma: Slytherin/Ravenclaw (he is seen reading a lot, and knows much about esoteric topics like Shinto wards, and picks stuff up pretty quickly)
Nabiki: Slytherin
Kasumi: Hufflepuff
Akane: Gryffindor
Kodachi:Slytherin (though I am going to throw in Ravenclaw for shits and giggles)
Kuno: Gryffindor
Shampoo: Gryffindor
Mousse: Hufflepuff

The trait of Hufflepuff is mainly loyalty, hard work and tolerance. They fit Kasumi and Ryouga/Mousse(more for the loyalty than anything else, in Mousse's case loyalty to Shampoo) well.

Gryffindor values courage, nerve, daring, and chivalry. It is a good fit for Akane (who normally is very willing to help people in trouble), Kuno, Shampoo (went all the way to a distant land tracking someone, took her punishment when she failed instead of trying to get out of it)

Slytherin values ambition, cunning, and resourcefulness. A good fit for both Ranma (is chockful of resourcefulness, ambition, and can be pretty cunning whenever he wants to be, also kind of manipulative) and Nabiki. Kodachi could fit in here too, but why not try to get some people into other houses?
Khortez
Senshi Candidate

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:00 am

With the exception of Shampoo, I agree with most of Khortez' analysis.

Shampoo I have trouble seeing outside slytherin. She's courageous and daring in the sense that she's willing to take risks to get what she wants. She's not above using tricks to get what she wants.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 am

I have trouble seeing Shampoo outside of Slytherin also. I mean when you think about it she's pretty ruthless. I mean she invoked a death promise just because a girl managed to defeat her when she was already weakened from fighting who knows how many times previously in the day. When the fight was clearly to make up for her and her panda eating the prize without either of them ending up dead for their ignorant eating. Then add in how many ways she has used tricks and other forms of manipulation including emotional and literal blackmail...

And then the biggest mark against her personality to put her in Slytherin is how mean she is to Mousse. An obsessed annoying stalker or not he is a friend and well there are allot of times where I feel like someone should have said to her; "It doesn't pay to be your friend." If it wasn't for his obsession I don't see how their friendship could survive.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:58 pm

When was it ever said in canon that Mousse was a friend of Shampoo's, though? I admit I'm more proficient with the anime, but from what I know, he's basically been stalking her for 13 years even though she, at best, ignores him and, at worst, beats the tar out of him. If someone did that to me, then I feel no shame in admitting I'd treat them at least as bad as Shampoo treats Mousse. Wait, I recall she introduced him as "stupid friend from child time". That's the only friendship reference I ever recall in relationship to him and Shampoo.

Anyway, I saw this little quote while I was browsing TvTropes, and I just had to know; does Genma Saotome really stand out at as jerkass in the cast of Ranma 1/2?

Special mention must go to Genma Saotome from Ranma 1/2, to list all his moments of Jerk-Assery would take up the entire internet! In a cast of Jerk Ass characters his deeds still stand head and shoulders above everyone elses.

Come to think of it, just what are the various moments of Jerk-Assery he's done in canon anyway?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:21 pm

Anime Dub. "He just friend from child time." Not sure how good any dub translation is when it's intended to be broken speech in the first place.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:48 pm

Yeah, I recalled that and mentioned it in my last post. Still, she never treats him as a friend, or refers to him as being a friend, again in the series, so there's really only slightly more evidence for that than there is for Cologne actually being a matriarch of Joketsuzoku (that belief seems to stem from the translation of the title of the anime episode she first appears in).

Edit: new question; in the OAV based on the Immortal Phoenix story, Toramasa, vendor of the secondary don at Furinkan, is used as the merchant who sells the egg to Kuno. I was wondering; does he look at all like the manga's merchant? If yes, is it possible that the author "borrowed" Toramasa's design to use for the once-off merchant, and the anime simply 'reused' him when they did their version of that story?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ezvir » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:38 am

"friend from child time" is the translation of a special word in japanese for this kind of relationship. Being 'osananajimi' means that you knew and were at least somewhat close to each other in childhood, and isn't directly related to any word for friendship.
Ezvir
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:50 am

I think this has been answered here before, but I can't say for sure, so I'll ask it again. My question about Genma being a jerkass still stands though. Anyway, I know that what Gosunkugi practices is not actually voodoo, fanon to the contrary, but is actually a form of Japanese religion/occultics/spiritualism that has trappings akin to voodoo. Can anyone identify what the system is called and how it actually "works"?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:02 am

Can anyone identify what the system is called and how it actually "works"?

Ushi No Koko Mairi -
http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/2008/05/ushi-no-koku-mairi-japanese-voodoo.html
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma