Help Please. Fae Form image shading.

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Help Please. Fae Form image shading.

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:46 am

I don't really have the right software to do the full cleanup to make it easier to color the drawing I made of Blossom's Fae Form. Previously used in the Moon Princess Council thread of Spamville.

This image has a couple transparency issues due to my software making Black the transparent but I could use some help cleaning up the lines for coloring. I reduced it to a 16 color gray scale gif to make erasing the original easier after cleaning up the lines.
Note the area it's rather large.

This is a sloppy coloring job without cleanup showing in general where I intend to have the colors but without the shadows. I'm kinda at a bit of a loss where to have highlights and shadows on this. I also don't have Layer manipulation in my graphics software so I'm uncertain how to go about adding a translucent texture into the 6 wing areas.

Here's the old side by side comparison of my Avatar image for Human ears Vs Kitsune ears. It's where most of the colors originate and my main example of the kind of shading I would want to follow.

Without multiple more days work trying to clean it up on my own due to slightly primitive drawing software this is about as good as I can get it at the moment. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

And yes for those who were wondering that Fuku is a variation, with a couple PPGZ tweaks, of Chibi-Usa's Fuku.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Help Please. Fae Form image shading.

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:23 pm

So no one has any suggestions on the shading. I mean with the tail and ears and antenna not to mention the wings there are allot of surfaces that are in the lighting equation that weren't before.

Suggestions on where the shadows or how to show them on or from relatively clear surfaces would be helpful.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:29 am

I'll give it a shot.

I'll see what I can do about cleaning up the lineart first.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:53 am

Yep. The line art is very lopsided, especially around the face and waist. Feet look malformed too.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:52 am

I can never get the right side of an image to agree with the left. Not even drawing a tree.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:23 pm

It gets like that whenever I try to draw a set of eyes. For some reason or another the right eye is always smaller or larger than the left.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:39 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/ ... etemp2.gif

Lineart. Sorry this took so long. Been occupied.

Arms, hands, leg and feet were redrawn. Lack arm bangles.

What's the background and wing color?
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 am

Looks like there's an extra line on the lefthand wing (the character's right).
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Actually both wings are suppose to have that line I just didn't draw it dark enough on one.

I wanted the wings to be kinda like the opposite of a shadow. No true color of it's own but it is obviously there from how all the colors seen in it are richer and brighter. Instead of washed out into pastels from a white wing. And a defocus so even though it's richer it's less crisp. I hope I'm describing this well...

You can use any background and or color you want.

Great work on the hands. I think I should point out that those elbow more or less rings were where the gloves ended. And a note on the eyes. Even though I was free hand drawing they aren't suppose to have that wobble. Aside from getting teary the show has the iris and pupil almost impossibly round. But you can do that in CG animation. Also the line between the white of the eye and the face was there only to be erased after getting colorized. Same with the line separating the mouth and tongue colors inside the mouth.

Really great work with the image so far. I hope I'm not being too picky just trying to clear up anything I see off or might have been misconceptions with what I had drawn in the image.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Fan Art