Avoiding Spamville Neo!

Chit Chat: Freeform roleplay. Only place where spam allowed. This topic is periodically pruned for removal of old posts

Re: Avoiding Spamville Neo!

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 pm

If they change the name they insult their own team history and every tribe in the state. But Hey why would they care if the indian tribes like their name? Its kinda been repeatedly proven that all of them do.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Has it been proven they do? I mean I've heard it's approved of, but all of them?
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:But I want eggs from chickens and melons for Summer. :O

In which case you're better off contacting someone in Rhode Island on an imaginary telephone.

Lioconvoy wrote:Has it been proven they do? I mean I've heard it's approved of, but all of them?

I grew up thinking that "Redskins" was a cool name for a sports team. If they really think like that, who am I to complain?
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:39 pm

It only takes a few whiners when it's a political correctness issue, or something along those lines.

If a burglar can get compensated for an injury caused by his own criminal behavior, anything's pretty much possible at that point.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:07 pm

About 20 years ago, when everyone was first running around the possibility of cleaning the world of racist speech, every tribe with history in Washington was petitioned. That is when it was pointed out that the team was named for a member of a local tribe. Its a Homage not a slur. To change it is to defile the facts and team history. The opinion then was fairly clear and wide spread.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:25 pm

It only takes a few whiners when it's a political correctness issue, or something along those lines.

*shrug* I wouldn't know.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Spokavriel wrote: About 20 years ago, when everyone was first running around the possibility of cleaning the world of racist speech, every tribe with history in Washington was petitioned. That is when it was pointed out that the team was named for a member of a local tribe. Its a Homage not a slur. To change it is to defile the facts and team history. The opinion then was fairly clear and wide spread.

Well, they're going after the name's trademark this time. It's a kick to the ol' money bag, so if they lose the trademark it's more likely for them to give in than to lose money.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:41 am

Thing is Crescent this isn't the first time this has happened and last time they got it back.

Edit: Okay Mark Levin spent the first half hour of his show talking about this. They one, haven't lost the trademark yet. Two the federal registration does not supersede Common Law which the Redskins still retain the ownership of the name and logo.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:23 am

What is often considered 'racist' can be confusing. I mean, a lot of times, the ones calling racism aren't even the culture or ethnicity that have an issue with it. So many cases of a culture or ethnicity not having a problem, yet others think there is a problem.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Lioconvoy wrote:Thing is Crescent this isn't the first time this has happened and last time they got it back.

Edit: Okay Mark Levin spent the first half hour of his show talking about this. They one, haven't lost the trademark yet. Two the federal registration does not supersede Common Law which the Redskins still retain the ownership of the name and logo.

They attacked via the patent and trademark office?

I didn't say that they lost the trademark. And I heard that there's a law that makes it possible to cancel a trademark if it is found to be disparaging, among other things. The team can keep using the name, but others would be able to make money off of it (without it being against the law) if they lose the trademark and refuse to change the team's name. They can either lose control over how much they profit and stick with the name on principle, or change the name so they can make a profit on one that's protected by the law. If they lose the trademark (and especially the appeal to keep it), my money's on them changing the team's name for the money.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Mark Levin explains it a whole better than I ever could : http://www.marklevinshow.com/common/pag ... &is_corp=0
It's the episode for 6/18/14, the first 30 or so minutes. But no they won't be losing money, and I have a feeling the owner isn't the kind to back down even if they did.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 pm

When I was a kid, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Redskins name. But... *shrugs* I guess Curtis will probably want to talk a little more about it some other time.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:18 am

Moves normally do not take over 3 months. Sad thing is mine has, Talk about expensive... And less than 10% of my stuff has been moved so far. Time's running out before this costs another 600+
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:02 pm

It took me about a month. I did most of it myself getting Hiraishin to help a little.

As a reminder Hiraishin is not a made up character. We shared an apartment for a few years. He was a rather unique guy.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Between injuries, watching animals, Grandma's repeat trips to the hospital, my mom has ended up doing most of the work wile we keep looking for help to actually get any of the things from there to here.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Spamville