U.S. Political: Government Working?

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

U.S. Political: Government Working?

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 am

Let me preface with topic with the following: I know it may be too much to ask, but I wish to hold a conversation with those living in or who are citizens of the United States. Yes I know what happens in the U.S. affect the world, but I'd like to focus solely on the U.S. and those directly affected. Post don't have to agree with my point of view, I'd like to here the other side, but I'd like to here personal experiences in this topic, not repeats of media talking points.

Okay got that out of the way. Now what I wish to talk about. I live in Las Vegas Nevada, where I live I've encountered:
-people trying to sell their food stamps so they can get beer money.
-people spending their food stamps on Chips, soda, and Slurpies. Or spending EBT cash meant for gas or rent on cigarettes.
-people spending the night inside a 24 hour Mcdonalds or 7 Eleven.
-people taking business cards or application just so they can tell unemployment their looking when they don't turn in the applications or the places they take the business cards from aren't hiring.

I honestly don't see how Government is working. Food Stamps need to be reformed, the job market needs less regulations so people are able to hire. Unemployment needs to do a more thorough check to see if the people on it are even trying to get off their roles.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: U.S. Political: Government Working?

Postby Konsaki » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

Lioconvoy wrote:I honestly don't see how Government is working.
Like a drunk duck in a hamster wheel.
Lioconvoy wrote:Food Stamps need to be reformed,
Code: Select all
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP),[1] formerly known as the Food Stamp program, provides financial assistance for purchasing food to low- and no-income people living in the U.S. It is a federal aid program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, though benefits are distributed by individual U.S. states.
So, this is a Nevada thing that needs to be fixed, not a national issue. I know that Texas has performed reforms to reduce instances of this by changing the 'stamps' to a bank card like system, where you have to swipe it for legitimate items and you can't as easily sell the money.
Lioconvoy wrote:the job market needs less regulations so people are able to hire.
It's easy enough to say less/more, but without specifics, you're just griping. IMO, it's less on regulations keeping hiring down and more on companies trying to keep profits up for various reasons. It's much easier to fire X number of people for instant debt lessening than it is to sell off assets, so long as you're able to keep a relatively same level of output. There's also the incentive that if you need to rehire, you rehire at a lower rate than the people you fired, so still less debt rate than before.
Lioconvoy wrote:Unemployment needs to do a more thorough check to see if the people on it are even trying to get off their roles.
Unemployment Benefits are generally handled at the state level. Considering that in 2012, Nevada had one of the highest levels of Unemployment, I'd say this is a local issue you need to hammer out with your state.
Overall, though, I think unemployment benefits should cut off after X number of months to force people to look hard for new jobs and not just skate along in the system. IIRC, Texas has applicants for unemployment compensation must show some sort of record from the company showing an active application or something to that effect to prevent 'ghosting'.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Re: U.S. Political: Government Working?

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:13 am

The fact it is nationalized is part of the problem. Local authority that sees where there is waste and abuse in the use of the system no longer has jurisdiction to handle it.

Before Harry Reid took office there was a section of the Governor's web site that displayed statistics for the food stamp program. And back before Harry Reid's near amnesty in Lincoln and Clark counties the area down there had an 85% non-citizen food stamp usage. In addition to 45% of the remaining food stamp recipients who were citizens being of Mexican descent. 20% Black, 18% White or something close to that in the citizen break down. BTW Non-citizen wasn't only Mexican but it also wasn't split out.

Actually deregulation could reduce Federal Spending because it wouldn't cost so much to enforce. Almost none of the Regulations the Federal Government (Going by percentages) is currently imposing is constitutional. Many of them would be Legal at the State Level but if it isn't crossing state lines or going to kill someone the Federal government honestly by its own rules doesn't have the right to say squat about it. But hey its only been 100 years since they cared about their own rules.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk