What justification does Usagi have to create Crystal Tokyo?

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Re: What justification does Usagi have to create Crystal Tok

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Considering the kinds of scripts that were being turned out after the season ended maybe it just gave the writing staff too much of a headache to contemplate it and they didn't see any way to put it into an episode without making it one without either an enemy or a fight in it. And well the Networks wouldn't exactly go for that. Discussing things still takes time.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:15 pm

It's still friggin weird. You don't use time travel without explaining things that could make things better or worse. And you don't see a bad future without trying to stop it. Even when they say it's impossible!
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:21 pm

But taking the time to do anything about it would require making an episode which would get the writer of the episode fired and it not produced anyway. See the problem?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:26 pm

How about the mangaka? What about HER?

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Look at the stories, She's under similar restrictions. If she doesn't have certain things happen every or at least every other submission she risked getting dropped from publication and possibly barred from working. Maybe even losing any chance to legally write for her own characters/franchise again. Its not like the Mangaka has ownership of their series brand.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Well... that's news...

Still, her bosses must not care then.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:52 pm

They care more for profit than plot and if they can't see what they are paying for every say 3-5 printed episodes then its wasting their paper and ink.

There is even a well known series that got its originator kicked off of it because of the Manga company that purchasing it not liking where the author wanted to go. Its part of why Tenchi-Muyo has so many screwed up cannon realities. The company kept it and put new writers on it.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:18 pm

I think the simplest answer as to why it wasn't prevented once known was because it would create yet another paradox. Also, even without that foreknowledge, what could you expect them to do if the "great freeze" was man-made? Then Usagi would have needed to take over the world to prevent it (by at least dictating and forcing other countries and corporations/businesses on how to run things), which is the exact kind of behavior being criticized when it's the Usagi in fanon or the version made up in some people's heads. I think it makes sense to allow humanity the freedom to make its own mistakes, because in hindsight they could see the wisdom of being ruled by Usagi after creating such a significant and world-wide disaster (especially if she had ever given a warning that had gone unheeded).
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Ah, yes, paradox... That doesn't excuse her of not having it brought up. And not to mention I thought she had a SCREW DESTINY! thing. But, once she saw that she ruled the future, she ignored the wrongness. Just like the others.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Remember, made for Japanese -- who FYI still count years in the form "Year X of the reign of Emperor Y". In their everyday life.

There's just a replacement of one divine monarchic line with another one. One beginning from Amaterasu to one beginning with Selene.
I highly doubt having a Queen does have anything with having democracy.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/i ... y_6855.jpg
"Referral Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/tomjerry_6855.jpg" on this server."
To see the picture, enter the main page of tvtropes.org , then paste the link in the address bar.
Last edited by Cheb on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Oh yeah... Forgot about that...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:Ah, yes, paradox... That doesn't excuse her of not having it brought up. And not to mention I thought she had a SCREW DESTINY! thing. But, once she saw that she ruled the future, she ignored the wrongness. Just like the others.

Bringing it (the paradox?) up... why? When? How? There's such a thing as circumstance and context, thus time and place in conjunction with necessity and opportunity.

Exactly how is Crystal Tokyo destiny? Which leads me to ask: what wrongness was there to ignore? The natural course of events? What's wrong with that? For that matter, how can you assert there's something wrong out of so much unknown?

And Usagi isn't "screw destiny," or particularly for it. She could have just instituted a new Silver Millennium/Moon Kingdom on the moon, or made her bid for ruler of the world as soon as she had remembered her past life and taken care of Beryl and/or Metallia (it depends on the canon which one it is), but she didn't: she wanted to return to an ordinary life in the anime, and in the manga she outright refused reviving the Moon Kingdom because she preferred to live on the Earth as she was. She could have actively made her and the other senshi's actions in defending people and the planet with each threat a case for why she should rule, but instead maintained the status of being mysterious vigilantes whose full scope of exploits is unlikely to be known by the public.

She had the time, means and opportunity to get the ball rolling from the get-go, but she didn't. Which means that it's more likely that she was entreated (particularly in the manga) to become the ruler and hadn't a good enough reason to turn it down, and I don't see how that could be wrong or why she should be faulted for that. Usagi started as a reluctant hero, who had to accept that her interventions may very well be the only way to avoid disaster, because she could only be so selfish in wanting to lead a normal life. Throughout the series she and the others weren't looking forward to their lives in Crystal Tokyo, but looking to achieve their own personal interests and getting back into the swing of their mundane lives rather than prepare for what they knew was to come (yet not how).

The thing to remember is that democracies, republics, monarchies, empires, dictatorships, et cetera are all the same in one very fundamental way: these are not institutions that can think and act on their own. Like cars and guns, whatever differences there may be between one model or another, or what purpose they happen to specialize in, in the end their performance is going to come down to their handlers. I felt that I had to say that because you've given me the impression that by the very nature of Usagi's position in the future she is a bad person and living conditions for the people she rules must be terrible, which would be an error in logic in terms of cause and effect. It's also quite contrary from what is known about her character.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Knight of Ranko » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Another point?

On Loony toons, why does Wile E coyote, spend so much money on Ridiculous gadgets and gizmos to catch one road runner

He could just go out to a restaraunt or order food on amazon?

I want a reason for that?
Knight of Ranko
Senshi Candidate

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Ever tried to stop a falling avalanche? It's difficult. And it seems likely the Senshi got no trauma healing afterwards, burying it inside instead and never talking about it, not even to their younger selves.
"You can not treat a car like a human! A car needs love!" (W. Röhrl)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Moridin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:19 am

instead of a paradox try and think of it as alternative time lines. in the first one something, possibly Pharoh 90 or even Galaxia/Chaos did massive damage which Usagi couldn't fix and was eventually forced into making CT and cleansing the survivors of their evil or purifying or whichever was not fanon. In this timeline the whole dark moon coming to the past to wipe them out thing never happened, as such the senshi were not able to deal with Witches 5 and onward as easily due to either not being as powerful or having their skills deteriorate from not having to fight. This could have also caused the deaths of most of the outers, excluding Pluto. then again we don't know where they are in the CT timeline anyway.

The second is when the dark moon clan and chibi-usa comes back in time after the defeat of the dark kingdom(manga) and the doomtree aliens(anime). as such their skills and power got better and they could deal with the later threats easier, possibly allowing the outers to survive. the question then becomes what happened after Galaxia/Chaos to almost wipe out humanity? or even better is CT a fixed event that has to happen in both timelines?
"No one here is exactly as they appear" G'Kar, Babylon 5.
"While your out there you can memorize the Babylon 5 mantra. Ivanova is always right, I will listen to Ivonava, I will do what Ivanova says, Ivanova is god." Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Moridin
Senshi Candidate

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon