Why Ryouga?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Why Ryouga?

Postby Knight of Ranko » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:27 pm

any idea why the vast majority of All girl fics tend to pair Ranma/Ranko and Ryouga?

any theories?
Knight of Ranko
Senshi Candidate

Re: Why Ryouga?

Postby uragaaru » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:44 am

Unresolved Sexual Tension? Maybe because people tend to see Ryouga as very similar, disposition and personality-wise, to Akane? Because finding stories where Ranma's sexuality remains the same even with a change in gender identity is a surprisingly difficult task.

So yeah. Heterosexism + Character interaction + "It's cute"= Ranko/Ryouga.
uragaaru
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:57 am

Can you even name one other Male that Ranma considers a friend? Hiroshi and Daisuke are pretty much the other options unless you have Ranma go with Dr Tofu or a known proven enemy. And honestly Hiro and Dai don't exactly have deep enough characters to have an easy ship using them. You know without having to go in and completely define their character for it. I have seen a couple good Ranma/Ono fics but those are rare. So really Ryouga repeatedly becomes the best male option just because unlike the rest he's about the same age and not seen by Ranma as an enemy.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:09 am

Not to mention that the fishing rod of love only encouraged people. -_-

And yeah, the fact that there "needs" to be straightness with the characters too...

Which confuses the hell out of me on the few Yuri fics in the fandom.

Ranma half the time Ranma other half
Akane Ryoga
Nabiki Mousse
Kasumi
Kodachi
Shampoo
Ukyo

7 main teenage girls vs 3 main teenage boys.

Since Mousse gets way less screentime then the other two, all you're left with is Ranma and Ryoga. So whenever Ranma needs to be the girly abomination, there is only one option that isn't creepy(er).

That's why.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:04 pm

I don't really like Ranma paired with a guy but were I to for some reason write one I'd use Tatewaki over Ryoga. Going by the manga he seems to really care about female Ranma and he treats female Ranma better than his other suitors tend to do - he tries to help her and take her on nice dates, give her gifts, and did things like eat the wrecked soup she delivered.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Oh yeah, Kuno too... forgot about him... :oops:

Most girls would go crazy over him, if not for the whole obsession of Akane and Ranma... and the fighting thing... heck, if Kuno didn't do that, Akane might have liked him.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:29 pm

As I said "that Ranma doesn't consider an enemy" Tatewaki ends up there because of his behavior to Akane and the whole Hentai Horde thing. Unless you change that he has no chance even with a Ranma that is born a girl.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:32 pm

three headed dog wrote:I don't really like Ranma paired with a guy but were I to for some reason write one I'd use Tatewaki over Ryoga. Going by the manga he seems to really care about female Ranma and he treats female Ranma better than his other suitors tend to do - he tries to help her and take her on nice dates, give her gifts, and did things like eat the wrecked soup she delivered.

+1.

Ranma+Ryoga is just SO wrong... Only if the whole story is radically changed can i be made to consider that a good idea for a pairing.
Ryoga is the closest thing Ranma has as a friend in canon. And Ranma in canon is also totally zero interested in "boys".
A Tatewaki that "sobers up" can at least provide some tiny amount of reason for a pairing with a female Ranma.
Even if just barely. I really don´t much like "Ranko+whatever boy the author thinks is sexy/cute/whatever"(exception again being if there has been a massive amount of changes to canon).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:19 am

Spica75 wrote:Ranma+Ryoga is just SO wrong... Only if the whole story is radically changed can i be made to consider that a good idea for a pairing.
Ryoga is the closest thing Ranma has as a friend in canon. And Ranma in canon is also totally zero interested in "boys".
A Tatewaki that "sobers up" can at least provide some tiny amount of reason for a pairing with a female Ranma.
Even if just barely. I really don´t much like "Ranko+whatever boy the author thinks is sexy/cute/whatever"(exception again being if there has been a massive amount of changes to canon).

HIGH FIVE!

I promised myself to never, EVER have Ranma end up with a guy. EVER!

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:36 am

Makes me wonder are there any fics out there where Ranma was Right about Ukyo being a boy and Ukyo was hunting him because of stealing the cart not because of dowery or anything like that? That version of Ukyo might be worth playing with...
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:42 am

Ukyo is the easiest I can see as a boy out of those who aren't.

There's probally one out there somewhere.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:49 am

I know there's at least a couple where Ukyo is a fully biological guy, but one of the ones I'm thinking of is a huge AU (don't remember the specifics but Ukyo was an actor or something)
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:54 pm

The one I remember, he got with Makoto and it was a bit lemony.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:07 am

Knight of Ranko wrote:any idea why the vast majority of All girl fics tend to pair Ranma/Ranko and Ryouga?

any theories?

The author forgets how much of a scum bag Ryoga is?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Well... Hmmm... Um... He's emo... And did try to kill Ranma... Look, yeah he's pretty dispicible, but cleaned up by the end. Still hate pairings with Ranma though.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma