Ranma's age when arriving at the Tendos

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

How old do YOU think Ranma is when arriving at the Tendos?

38%
No votes
between 15 and 16
46%
8%
No votes
No votes
younger than 13
8%
older than 17
No votes

Total votes : 13

Ranma's age when arriving at the Tendos

Postby Noy Telinú » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:06 pm

In the beginning, only 3 ages are given.

Akane 16
Nabiki 17
Kasumi 19

Ranma's age isn't given until the mushroom arc. Where he needs a 16 cm one.

But how long was he 16? Or was he even that?

I believe he was 16 at arriving at the Tendos, but after insane disagreements on the age place, I want to know what you think.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Ranma's age when arriving at the Tendos

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 am

The Mushrooms are after Akane's 1 year cake baking fiasco. So I say Ranma was 15 based on that unless I am misremembering.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:11 am

I'd vote but I just get the error message: The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

So were it to accept my vote I'd say between 15 and 16; preferred theory being him having been 15 at the start of the series and having just turned 16 a very short time before the mushrooms of aging arc. I also just like the idea that Akane is a bit older than Ranma. Though really it doesn't matter much since it doesn't really change anything story wise.

For fanfics I'm basically fine with authors going even a little further and saying Ranma was 14 nearly 15 at the start (though I don't prefer it) but any younger than that just doesn't work for me. I don't like Ranma being older than 16 though at any point before the mushrooms of aging though or Ranma being younger than 16 at a point in time after the mushrooms of aging arc, unless magic like the mushrooms of aging themselves are involved.

I don't really know why but when I read this poll what keeps going through my mind is that Happosai clearly knew about Akane upon his freedom (what with grabbing all the girls and saying Akane) but showed no knowledge that Genma had a kid. That doesn't mean much since it can be explained away easily enough but the thought doesn't want to break lose like when a song gets stuck in your head. Though one reason he'd know about Akane but not Ranma could be that Akane was just born shortly before his sealing but Ranma hadn't been yet (though there are many other possible reasons as well).
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:23 am

Or maybe because Akane's female. -_-'

But I say just turned 16. makes it easier to have most of the characters be the same age.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:27 am

He is a pretty poor student and he still gets placed in the same year as Akane which is not, anyone claiming that Furinkan would place him seriously AHEAD of his age probably needs to lay off whatever they´re smoking. I simply cannot believe the probability to be anything but zero for that. It requires either exceptional previous grades or doing well in a test, and since Ranma isn´t previously part of the school, it would almost certainly require both.

He MAY be 15 and just over the edge of getting into the same class as Akane, but he´s stated to be 16 by any place that have tried to find it out from official sources.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:39 am

Spica75 wrote:He is a pretty poor student

Based off the one time his test score is brought up? When he was horrified at the prospect of a bad grade? And was perfectly fine with it when it was announced on tv?
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 am

LawOhki wrote:Based off the one time his test score is brought up? When he was horrified at the prospect of a bad grade? And was perfectly fine with it when it was announced on tv?

Based on overall information and interactions. Havent read the manga though so if it´s different there i wouldn´t know. Is the cited event in the anime and if so which episode, it may be years since i watched the series but i cant recall it at all?
The impression given is that he probably could be a decent student, but is too disinterested to even try.

His way of treating school as somewhat "optional" is probably enough by itself to call him a poor student though.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:46 am

Spica75 wrote:Based on overall information and interactions. Havent read the manga though so if it´s different there i wouldn´t know. Is the cited event in the anime and if so which episode, it may be years since i watched the series but i cant recall it at all?
The impression given is that he probably could be a decent student, but is too disintested to even try.

His way of treating school as somewhat "optional" is probably enough by itself to call him a poor student though.

Yet another thing the anime messed up. In the manga Ranma is as dedicated to school as everyone else. And is freaked out enough at the possibility that he scored poorly on a test to try and steal them back to avoid having it shown to everyone. I'll edit later with the exact chapter since I'm on my phone at the moment.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 am

Its also a situation of him not knowing the result. Just how bad would it have to be for Principal Coconuts to be this excited about using it as a weapon against him. Just how epically bad is it, must it be, he hasn't seen it himself so he's driven by assumptions of what it must be like for it to make sense.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Here's the actual chapter.
http://manga.animea.net/ranma-chapter-2 ... age-1.html

Translation isn't perfect, Genma's line at the end is more about Ranma's modesty iirc.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 pm

LawOhki wrote:Here's the actual chapter.
http://manga.animea.net/ranma-chapter-2 ... age-1.html

Translation isn't perfect, Genma's line at the end is more about Ranma's modesty iirc.

Huh, well that certainly didn´t give anything solid. And the single score given is Akane´s so it´s not possible to even tell if that´s a good score or not(although 86 is likely fairly good at least). Annoying.
OTOH, definitely not getting any sense of Ranma being a highend student. He´s instantly prepared to believe the principal about his score being utterly horrible that he gets worried, right after the declaration that scores doesn´t matter to him.
Question is if Kuno is lying or not just to get things happening.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:21 am

Ranma academic thread here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=7317
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:01 am

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

Between 15 and 16
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Please, please, whoever said under 13 explain why you think so. I just cannot fathom why Ranma would be that young.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:Please, please, whoever said under 13 explain why you think so. I just cannot fathom why Ranma would be that young.
Cause Akane's into Shotacon, obviously... :roll:
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs