らんま Nerima events time line.

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

らんま Nerima events time line.

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:18 am

I was wondering. Which events in Ranma 1/2 are on a calendar? Things like the Martial Arts Rhythmic Gymnastics competition between St. Hebereke and Furinkan that happen only when it is scheduled to occur.

I figure having a list of such events could help if someone wanted to go off the rails AU still keeping most of the non NWC intact. After all time waits for no man and really has no reason to bend to a fanfic authors plot conveniences either.

Also events that have parallels where the calendar does not match like the Snowman Vs Watermelon races during the Phoenix Pill arc would be good to also point out.

So really anyone want to help make a list of events we can turn into a time line?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: らんま Nerima events time line.

Postby Konsaki » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 am

Behold the power of Google! First response for "Ranma Timeline": http://home.comcast.net/~mzephyrus/timeline.html

The creator uses a dynamic timeline which is not linear compared to story order of the manga. (IE,The creator assumes Takahashi is jumping around in time and resorts the events to work better with a linear timeline).
Code: Select all
The following constraints were used in assigning dates to events, and rearranging story arcs to fit.

The manga should begin during the first term of the school year, of Akane's and Ranma's first year in high school (grade 10).
The manga should end while Nabiki and Kuno are still in high school, since Nabiki is clearly still in high school when Akane is abducted during the final story arc.
Trips to the beach should take place during warm months, preferably during summer break from late July to early September. (But I was forced to break this rule severely at one point.)
Story arcs in which events take place at school need to take place on weekdays during school terms. A very few exceptions are made when the events at school only provide background which is not important to the story.
Events which take place at certain times of the year, such as Valentine's Day, New Year's Day or Tanabata (Weavers' Festival), should insofar as possible take place at those times.
Except for the considerations above, or a few other necessities dictated by logic, the story arcs should take place in the same order in which they occur in the manga. (Although I had to sacrifice this rule frequently.)

The creator also makes a lot of assumptions and liberties in the creation of this timeline.
Code: Select all
The first year of the calendar is designated xxx1, the second year xxx2 and so forth. I have arbitrarily decided that April 1 of xxx1 is a Sunday, and that no leap years occur during the events of the manga (i.e., the two following years). Again, this was arbitrary, but could correspond to xxx1 = 1973, 1984, 2001 or 2012. (Or other, less reasonable, years.)
Events which are specific to the anime, i.e., those not in the manga, do not appear here. I am not familiar with the anime, and it's hard enough to fit in everything from the manga.
I have decided to assume that there are no half-days of school on Saturdays, for my own convenience.
On the other hand, I have made no attempt to assign dates to story arcs on the basis of how warm or cold the weather appears to be (based, e.g., on the clothing which is worn).

Finally, the last book of the manga, the Wedding, is listed as being over 3 years from the first book of the manga; leaving Ranma and Akane to be 19ish, which still leaves them both under the age of majority.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 am

So he denies the reality of the school system having school on Saturdays with half days on alternate Saturdays meaning every other week. And also appearing to not have looked up that Nerima has frequent festivals often food related.

That is part of why Search Engines aren't such a great friend. And what parts are the ones that are calendar dependent?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm

So I'm guessing you mean stuff like the school play, which is scheduled to happen weather or not Ranma and Akane take part in it?
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Among other things. The street festival where Ranma learns chestnut fist going after the piranhas is also a community event that would be happening weather Ranma and the Tendos exist or not. Having a list of those kinds of events can help anchor the time line no matter how people find a need to alter other events.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Among other things. The street festival where Ranma learns chestnut fist going after the piranhas is also a community event that would be happening weather Ranma and the Tendos exist or not. Having a list of those kinds of events can help anchor the time line no matter how people find a need to alter other events.
You do know that pretty much any day of the year can have one of those in the Tokyo Metro area, right? All Ranma would have to do is hitch a train from Nerima to another district. Unless the manga/anime states exactly what festival they're attending by name, it'd be neigh impossible to nail down to a specific date.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Its an event not dependent on the characters nor plot. It happened and would till have happened had they never gone to it. That is what makes it have a definite place when it happens on the line.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Its an event not dependent on the characters nor plot. It happened and would till have happened had they never gone to it. That is what makes it have a definite place when it happens on the line.
You're not quite getting what I'm trying to point out here. If you want to sink up a spot in a timeline for this event, you'd have to choose from a pool of, what, over a hundred differnt festivals that happen in Tokyo alone. This makes it to where the Chestnut training could have litterally happened any time of the year barring winter because there's no 'cold weather' conditions.

As for my original post, you asked for a timeline and I found one that could be acceptable but I know that the creator took quite a few liberties with it. The big issue with the Ranma 1/2 storyline is the fact that a vast majority of the 'martial arts of the week' episodes could be placed litterally anywhere in the timeline and not interfere with anything. Only the 'big' stuff needs to be in a set order, like not having Ranma use the Moko Takabisha before Ryoga used the Shishihokodan or having Herb show up before Mousse.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:52 pm

And you are missing what I mean it seems. I'm looking for the events that are clearly not happening because of the actions of the characters. Just because there are other times in the year the same kind of thing happens the fact it did happen in relation to the events like the Gymnastic Match it has a point in the time line when it (The event not their actions at it) should take place no matter what they end up choosing to do during that time in the fanfic.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

I think what Konsaki is saying is that there are many festivals that are very dependent on the area and the year (as in: when it was or wasn't in practice at any particular place). New Year's and Tanabata are fairly easy to place in a timeline, as they're very common and consistent throughout Japan. For others, to know when they happen you need to know what they're for and where they're at. Another problem is that the characters aren't restricted to Nerima, and whenever they go anywhere (like several beaches, which is clearly not Nerima) we tend to not be given the location if not a name for the event.

If you want one of the few examples of an explicit time being given in the series, on June 9th, 1994, Ryoga tried to spend time with both Akari and Akane at his home without either knowing the other was there.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:New Year's and Tanabata are fairly easy to place in a timeline, as they're very common and consistent throughout Japan.

That isn't exactly true. They celebrate New Years for multiple days not just on New Years Day (some places used to celebrate it for a week but usually for 3 days is done now it is a big holiday so you could go to multiple New Year Celebrations) but beyond that some shrines/areas have New Years festivals use the old Lunar calendar or some other time. This is not very common in general for Japan but still exist in particular all the Ryukyu Islands (southern islands of Japan) which have a cultural New Year that is still celebrated based on the Lunar calender.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fic Research