When did marriageable age change from 16/14 to 18/16?

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

When did marriageable age change from 16/14 to 18/16?

Postby Cheb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:10 pm

I remember it clearly that there was a change in Japanese legislation, raising minimum marriageable age from 16(males)/14(females) to 18/16, and thus making Ranma 1/2 plot legally impossssible.

But my googling skills fail me time and again. I cannot find which year it wasssssssss. I think it should bey 199X, but other than that... :(

in Y1986, when Ranma manga started, ranma was of marriageable age, so its 16/14.
In the lassssssst episode 200 Usagi says "I'm turning 16 soon, so I could marry!", so it's 18/16. When was it released, in 1996 ?

P.S. I definitely need a new keyboard for my desktop machine.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: When did marriageable age change from 16/14 to 18/16?

Postby Spica75 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:18 pm

But my googling skills fail me time and again. I cannot find which year it wasssssssss. I think it should bey 199X, but other than that... :(

in Y1986, when Ranma manga started, ranma was of marriageable age, so its 16/14.
In the lassssssst episode 200 Usagi says "I'm turning 16 soon, so I could marry!", so it's 18/16. When was it released, in 1996 ?

Someone posted about this when i asked about it somewhere previously so lets hope whoever that was sees this again...

Anyway, the lower age limit was IIRC specified as only with parental consent, so the Usagi quote might still be with the older rules.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Those would have to be ages even with consent here are excerpts from the Catholic Encyclopedia article on Marriage.

In Japan a marriage code which became effective in 1898, contains sections dealing with the laws of family and of succession. The form of ceremony is not regulated, but the marriage itself is valid only under certain conditions.

In Japan the consent of parents or of the family council is essential to the marriage of a man under thirty and of a woman under twenty-five.

Edit: Looking at Wikipedia it doesn't say all the revisions but the most recent amendment to that part of the law in Japan was "^ a b Civil Code (民法 Minpō?) (Act No.89 of 1896): Part IV: Chapter 2. The last effective revision was enforced on 1 January 2007."

So It had to change on or before January first 2007
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Cheb wrote:I remember it clearly that there was a change in Japanese legislation, raising minimum marriageable age from 16(males)/14(females) to 18/16, and thus making Ranma 1/2 plot legally impossssible.

The law changed in 1995 and those are with parental consent. Without parental consent the age of marriage is now, and I believe was but am not entirely sure about was, 20 (i.e. if Ranma wanted to marry someone his mom or dad was against he couldn't do so until he was 20). 20 being the age of legal adulthood in Japan.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Knight of Ranko » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:23 am

I know this is only slightly related?

but I see a fair number of fanfics, where Serena/Usagi's Father does NOT approve of her relationship with Darien/Mamoru

I just watched the official sub of the scene for the first time, It seems that the age difference had , contrary to the dic version NOTHING to do with it.

he didnt approve of her dating ANYONE this close to high school entrance exams.

This just popped into my head as were talkinga bout age and marriage
Knight of Ranko
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:27 am

The exams were an excuse. He really wasn't in favor of ANYONE dating his little girl. I think there are even a few scenes where he has a flint lock double barrel, likely black powder, gun in hand just hearing about the possibility of some guy trying to date Usagi.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research