Well... It Was Better than the Alternative

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Well... It Was Better than the Alternative

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:21 pm

We all know how annoying of a job DiC did with the dubbing of Sailor Moon, right? How they completely changed names, needlessly edited and cut certain things, destroyed certain characters, etc?

Even though it's bad, DiC was a better choice than what WOULD have happened if Toon Makers -- and Saban -- got hold of the rights to the series. They would have killed everything by making a totally different series that combined animation and live action.

And so, I present to you what very well could have been...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1JmUcC9rss
The footage of of what Toon Makers was going to do starts after 1:50 in the video.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:05 pm

Oh wow. I remember this.

Yes. This was one of the more... bad versions of Sailor Moon. Though the Live Action Japanese version is really bad too.

The other clips show the horror of the idea too.

Though some of the character design is fair enough. At least the animated parts.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby camk4evr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:33 am

Oh god the horror!^_^

I remember that, when I first heard of this I wanted to see it just to see how Saban would have screwed it up. Now, I really wish there was a way I can get that 4+ minutes of my life back.

You are right, though, as it does make me remember, fondly, the Dic and Cloverway dubs.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Siden » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:33 pm

:shock: MY EYES! THEY BURN! :shock:

I find myself at a loss as to how to describe just how bad that is. And to think, I used to believe that it was a bad thing Dic did the Sailor Moon dub. Now I see it could have been far, far worse.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:18 pm

At least six years ago on a MST3K fansite, that video---I'm pretty sure it's that video, judging from the descriptions---was posted for all to see, and I got to take a look at it.

I don't think I even had it on for more than a few seconds before I was forced to switch it off. :o
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 pm

It gets even worse when you learn that there was a company who tried to create an American version of the Gundam franchise. The name of this aborted American Gundam idea? Doozy Bots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8um1N78AhY

Political correctness kills.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:24 am

KonokoHasano wrote:It gets even worse when you learn that there was a company who tried to create an American version of the Gundam franchise. The name of this aborted American Gundam idea? Doozy Bots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8um1N78AhY

Could have been worse, they could have tried to do something with an actual Gundam series rather than just SD Gundam.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:21 am

It's horrible, but I've heard worse theme songs.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon