Your Destiny is Annulled, Ch. 33

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or even fanfiction. All completed /ready-for0review longform creative writing allowed. No posting of individual scenes; that is what the Outlines and Scenes section is for.Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Your Destiny is Annulled, Ch. 33

Postby Cheb » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 am

A short chapter, yet another mostly breather.

It's a milestone for me (I bet no one else would notice) as my story finally passes over the point where the old version died out. In fact, the first part of this chapter is ages old, it's practically unmodified chunk of Chapter 6 of "Trip Unto Unknown" I had been writing many years ago.

http://ranmafics.chebmaster.com/fanfics ... a33e.shtml

I promise, the next chapter (again with little action) is full of deliciously disturbing things :mrgreen: You will see it as soon as my translating muscle gets some rest.
Last edited by Cheb on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: Your Destiny is Annulled, Ch. 33

Postby LawOhki » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Without knowing what's going to happen next chapter, it does feel a bit unnecessary to have it's own, like it could have been shortened and simply added to the next chapter.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:52 pm

I will heed your advice. Schedule be damned, I will transplant a sizable scene from the next chapter making it unfinished and changing the flow of the 2 next chapters. :) Noц finishing up the translation...

Completion date has been pushed to March 22 just now :x
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:20 am

Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:22 pm

Cheb wrote:Added 40% more to this chapter.

http://ranmafics.ru/fanfics/your_destin ... extrascene :roll: :mrgreen:

And now i want to see the entire thing rewritten so it's Ranma and Akane being shown around by the "guy" Ranma has the hots for so there's a slow build up to them almost snogging.

There are some really badly translated sections I'll have to bring up when i get home.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:36 pm

“What's with you?” Ranma reacted with surprise. “Haven't had snails before?” She chomped on another slice of meat. “I can tell you the French guzzle them eagerly and ain't nobody died from it.”
[Is a bit amusing that Akane boggles at snails.

Although the town could not boast any size to tell of — this concerned the size of its houses as well — it felt very cozy.

[this phrase is a bit awkward

No one did think of making a circular route.
[No one had thought of making a

[Tense matching

But she found to her disgust that Ranma was showing off standing on top of a long pole sticking in the middle of a field overgrown with greenery. There were no other poles.
Cursing herself for buying her husband's trick, Akane slammed into the garden beds plowing a furrow in the loose earth.

[heh

[Had she landed in a kennel for tigers or whatever sort of carnivores they do have here?
[Had she landed in a kennel for tigers or whatever sort of carnivores they have here?

Losing her balance from laughing too hard, Ranma plopped down into the cabbage. Akane smirked. A familiar pigtailed figure rose from the sea of overgrown cabbage-heads, a huge snail plastered across her face. It was Akane's turn to be choking with laughter.
[hehe
[good choice using the verb plop
[and the gaint snails are strangely adorable

. A golden thead of the railway was emerging from somewhere on the right, to arch to the right disappearing in the blurry haze that served as horizon here.

[thread

The bottom part of the hull was consisting of a segmented skirt, now upraised.

[The bottom part of the hull consisted of a segmented skirt, now upraised.

She started turning it back and forth entering a combibnation.

[combination.

What was so intersting there?

[interesting

. The shaft has changed radically. In the bright white light of multiple floodlights its walls were bristling with... things, unfamiliar but ominous. Making you feel being at gunpoint.

[inconsistent tense here.

“The portal controller wil be enough for my work here.

[will

The door was scuffed bud golden, which proved yet again the status of the wood as an impractically precious material, akin to ivory.
[scuffed but

“Stop torturing your brain, it will resolve on its own!” Ranma advised her. “I too, want to know what's the punchline is!”
[Awkward. Maybe:

[“Stop torturing your brain, it'll resolve on its own!” Ranma advised her. “I want to know what the punchline is too!”
The boxes were all the same size, eloangated, with their length matching the width of a car.

[elongated

So it's you!” Ata interrupted her, amazed. “Very, very glad to meet a fellow in misery!” He held a hand out. After a short pause Ranma cautiously shook it.
“So you volunteered specially to meet him?” Akane inquired with suspicion.
“How could I miss this chance! As soon as I heard about a guy with the same curse as me!” Ahta smiled disarmingly, but somewhat wrong, as if he was making goo-goo eyes.

[hehehe amusing.

The water in the oases springs is living, usually in concentrathions lethal for a human.

[concentrations

“Have you ever tried swinging the other way?” he asked suddenly leaning closer. Ranma was starting to feel nervous from the closeness of this girl... guy... person. Unsettled by his point-blank stare — why was she reacting like that? — she almost missed the meaning of the question.
[hehehe

Why couldn't it understand that he wasn't intereseted in guys. That they were making him ill, honest!

[interested

[And I wonder if the lady doth protest too much

[Enjoyable chapter.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby LawOhki » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Still think the chapter would be much stronger overall if Ahta is in the chapter from the beginning showing them around and explaining things. Ranma getting quite familiar with the boy while Akane is confused over having her husband get more and more flirty with the stranger before they find out at the end that he is a cursed she. Offers up another layer of comedy, a way to get more details across, and can really hammer home Ranma's confusion if she doesn't realize what's going on.

The girls

This way to start paragraphs gets really repetitive.

“I wonder how would they put the locomotive in place?” Ranma said sounding surprised as she looked to the left. “Carrying it by air?”

Ranma's never heard of a turntable?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_turntable

Your description later seems to overly complicate it when they could have even just put a locomotive at each end.

“Stop torturing your brain, it will resolve on its own!” Ranma advised her. “I too, want to know what's the punchline is!”

:shock: No, no, no, something more like.

"Stop torturing yourself, we'll probably see it soon."

“Who is Ahta here!” Ranma shouted.

“It's me!”

A lot of your speech is like this, oddly stilted. Why wouldn't Ranma just yell "Is Ahta here?!" then Ahta responds "I am!" or something purposely mistranslated.

Towards the end of his speech the medallion switched to the female pronoun “I” making Akane feel a pang of irritation

Why? Is their language similar to japanese or more English where there is no distinction? If in their language there isn't, then it should be flipping around for everyone or mistakenly inferring off context.

“Glad to meet you,” Ranma greeted him diplomatically. “Where to and when do we depart?”

“Present,”

Ranma should be asking "So where are we going and when can we get going?"

A couple minutes later Ahta returned: “We'll ride with cabbage in the car two.” Seeing the girls looking at him with surprise he explained:

Special alien guests traveling with cabbage?

“Whoa, what a strength!” Ahta exclaimed, amazed,

Seems like amazed could turn to amazing and be put before strength.

The girls were left to themselves until the departure.

Doing what? Ranma sat still for a few hours? Did they explore more? Help out Ahta to ask more questions?

But finally the great mystery has been resolved demonstrating how much tricks they have to use to save a little more of the precious land: first, the entire train, including the second air defense platform and the two cisterns, have been dragged back using a winch so that its tail disappeared inside the warehouse. Then, a sizable portion of the platform lifted and folded like a drawbridge revealing a switch and a big circular platform with a length of track on it. There were several gates surrounding the circular thing, cut into the crater wall. One opened releasing the locomotive from a cavern that was dug into the slope. The locomotive crawled out to the circular platform which then slowly turned until its rails matched the other end of the switch. Creaking and belching steam from under its wheels, the locomotive crawled out onto the main track in front of the train. Then it pulled backwards to reach the train. The men connected the coupling thoroughly connecting some thingamabobs. The couplings were complex things protected with armored casings.

:? Seems a whole lot simpler if they have the locomotive go onto a really small side track that features a turntable while the rest of the train is pulled inside. The locomotive is spun around, goes back on the main track, then hooks up with the train again. Sort of a half [url]wye.[/url]

Also resolved at the start should be explained or revealed or something similar to that. It doesn't really get used like that in english.

“Embark move!” Ahta ran up to the girls, all mussed and wiping sweat. “Is tacky! I had enough of this exhausting hauling.”

And again did the obnoxious medallion use a female pronoun.

It'd be more obnoxious to hear someone talking like that.

“For when they chew through the car and start pouring inside.”

"For when they chew their way through and come inside."

“Tendou Akane,” she provided.

“Scarlet Skywalker,” the medallion translated obligingly.

Why is it still doing this for just her? It doesn't continue to be funny.

“So you volunteered specially to meet him?” Akane inquired with suspicion.

Akane inquired suspiciously.

“How could I miss this chance! As soon as I heard about a guy with the same curse as me!” Ahta smiled disarmingly, but somewhat wrong, as if he was making goo-goo eyes.

It gets to be really odd that Ahta is so.. not male when she explains next that "Age twenty two, a surveyor with service record of five years. Seven decades ago" Seven decades is 70 years. How old is Ahta supposed to be? 22 or 92?

“Uhh, erm, I can relate,” the gray-haired girl

Think you may want to add that Ranma's gone gray as a description more to remind readers of the change.

“I, uh, am stuck for only three days now but I'm already ill at ease.”

Wait... it's only been three days?

Akane frowned lifting one brow. Something was definitely not right here.

Akane should say something here, maybe encouraging how Ranma will find a way to unlock it or some impractical joke about Ranma abusing the curse.

Sixteen years old, soon to be seventeen.

Shouldn't Ranma be at least seventeen by this point? Especially since Ranma goes on to say that she got the curse a year previous. Wouldn't that mean over half the manga happened, plus all that Sailor Ranko stuff, within a year. :?

“Weapons may be or may not be available while your body is always with you.”

"Someone can always take your weapon, but they can't take your body."

Although really that sentiment ignores that the body can be broken so they can technically take it from you.

“There are no such things,” Ranma replied swallowing a lump in her throat that appeared from this thought alone.

Explain why Ranma is getting a lump in her throat more.

Because I refuse to consider it a curse until the point where it got locked.”

Meh, should understand that from Ranma's earlier explanation that it purposely messed with her, that it wasn't that rosey of a situation.

It looked like a banal pool of water

Weird word choice like Ranma is looking at a thesaurus.

“Ah, It's like I was sixteen only yesterday,” Ahta noted dreamily. “The youth, the first transports of love... I bet you have conquered many girls with the talents of your magnitude?”

HOW OLD ARE YOU!

And Ahta is nowhere smooth enough to start talking about Ranma conquering many girls. Really awkward especially from someone you keep hinting at pegs others as female.

She cast a side glance at Akane but the other girl continued sitting there frowning and staring into the wall, clearly puzzled by something she just couldn't formulate.

Akane is silent through all this? :? Why even have her in the scene?

“I meant to say, have you experienced the other side of love?” he continued so breathily that Ranma's pulse quickened and her face felt hot.

Either he's not supposed to have a suave bone in his body or the translation is goofed up.

"What I mean is, have you experienced love from both sides?"

“Did you ever chance to find yourself in the arms of a pretty guy?” Ahta pressed his/her attack.

"Do you ever imagine yourself in the arms of a man?"

That would make the next sentence really full of implication. :mrgreen: Although I can't remember when Kuno actually kissed Ranma. So you may want to roll Mikado's name into the first kiss part then something about Kuno enjoying surprising her with glomps.

“Paws off of my husband!” Akane snarled like a tiger.

"Get your paws off my husband!"

“What?” Ahta jumped to his feet and away from the panicking Ranma. “A husband? At such a young age?” he exclaimed in shock.

Oi, Mamoru, get your hands off the goods.

She plopped down to the edge of the opposing bench.

Should be 'he'.

The awkward silence was stretching.

The awkward silence continued to stretch without end.

She wasn't inclined to have a small talk either, overflowing with unfriendliness after this guy's pass at her husband.

It isn't like they explained that they were married to Ahta. Think Akane, who's again too quiet at the end, would be pissed but then calm down enough to realize it was a misunderstanding, then screw up trying to smooth it over.

And I'm spent and have accomplished no writing of my own for the night.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:11 am

I'm sorry. :oops:
It looks like translating in the "pedal to the metal" mode does more bad than good :( I was typing so hastily I hit wrong keys often. And I had re-read correcting what bugs I could find before I posted it!

Will apply corrections when the working day is over.

Your description later seems to overly complicate it when they could have even just put a locomotive at each end.

Sort of a half [url]wye.

I will correct the description, it feels frankenshteined together now. The girls did not see the whole picture at the moment. I will also add their missing later observations. The scheme is this:
P.S. I have just realized that the scheme is not to scale. The platform is at least twice longer, with the angle between rails and the crater rim much narrower.
P.P.S. A retcon: there is a second cow-catcher on the tail gun platform. So these two don't get turned around while the locomotive does. The two-gun platform switches place with cisterns and gets moved to the other end of the train.
Khas-Khasaeert is overspecializing in agriculture and hi-magitech research, so they use as little for everything else as possible. All the industry is somewhere else, the station can hold one train and a maximum of one spare locomotive, and so on. There are reasons one can't simply build underground in an active oasis, so they can't simply go into the third dimension. Will elaborate later.

Why? Is their language similar to japanese or more English where there is no distinction?

It is similar to Russian in that a speaker can't help but identify his/her own gender. Ahta speaks as a female, so the medallion caught on it and output whatever female speech patterns it could match.

Seven decades is 70 years

Argh.[facepalm] 70 days, of course.
I will make this into a translation controversy, though. Adding to Akane's confusion.

Oi, Mamoru, get your hands off the goods.

I will elaborate on this in Chapter 35. They kind of treat marriage as a Serious Business, with childbirth being regulated much stricter than in China of today. While teenagers are considered highly expendable. One should survive to at least 30 (25 for women) to start thinking about making a family.
Telling your age is also important showing of your status, gender notwithstanding. If a girl looks younger than she is, she will be constantly annoyed and reminding everyone she's really older.

then calm down enough to realize it was a misunderstanding,

Akane? Admit her own fault? :wink:

Akane should say something here,

It was "please wait, brain is rebooting" and "Nooo, it can't be!" :P Remember P-chan :D
Will elaborate though.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 am

Cheb wrote:I will correct the description, it feels frankenshteined together now. The girls did not see the whole picture at the moment. I will also add their missing later observations. The scheme is this:
P.S. I have just realized that the scheme is not to scale. The platform is at least twice longer, with the angle between rails and the crater rim much narrower.
P.P.S. A retcon: there is a second cow-catcher on the tail gun platform. So these two don't get turned around while the locomotive does. The two-gun platform switches place with cisterns and gets moved to the other end of the train.
[img]http://chebmaster.ru/_share/ydia33expl.png[img]
Khas-Khasaeert is overspecializing in agriculture and hi-magitech research, so they use as little for everything else as possible. All the industry is somewhere else, the station can hold one train and a maximum of one spare locomotive, and so on. There are reasons one can't simply build underground in an active oasis, so they can't simply go into the third dimension. Will elaborate later.

Still seems overly complex, hard to describe properly, and wouldn't that make it more prone to break down? They really can't afford that with how they're connected to other oasis for supplies and they'd still need a place to repair the trains themselves.

Be specialized all they want but that train is their lifeline to everyone else and can't not work, so the train station needs to be large enough and fully capable of handling all possible maintenance or even construction. Not like they could just call in someone else to swing by.

I will elaborate on this in Chapter 35. They kind of treat marriage as a Serious Business, with childbirth being regulated much stricter than in China of today. While teenagers are considered highly expendable. One should survive to at least 30 (25 for women) to start thinking about making a family.
Telling your age is also important showing of your status, gender notwithstanding. If a girl looks younger than she is, she will be constantly annoyed and reminding everyone she's really older.

Joke was more about someone older going after a younger. It is only like five years.

If you have tight childbirth restrictions then no one would be considered expendable. Making new kids is a slow process and having an older population comes with it's own problems from health alone.

Akane? Admit her own fault? :wink:

Long after she's overreacted of course.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Page URL: http://www.ranmafics.ru/fanfics/your_de ... a24e.shtml
User comment: can use ki
Context:
killed. While the dark hulk only stumbled slightly. “They
<!!!>can ki<!!!> too!” the redhead shouted out, reassessing
the threat.
Browser: Firefox/26.0

This was a correct translation since in the original her phrase is invalid too. Added "use", though, to avoid confusion with a translation error.

User comment: somewhat
Context:
couple hundred meters more!” Akane reassured her, visible
<!!!>sometimes<!!!> ahead.“Peachy!” Ranma shouted as she
breathed out, more to

Akane reassured her, being glimpsed through vegetation ahead.

User comment: monsterrabbit
Context:
at the entrance, surrounded by green foam of bushes. The
<!!!>monsterabbit<!!!> was there too, looking out of the
arch cautiously as he

Nuh-huh. This is my quirk and I am keeping it. I have a habit of using a queer made-up word or two per stoty.
The original "monstrolik" is gleefully invalid. The correct merger of "monstr" and "krolyk" should be "monstrokrolyk".
In my older original-fiction story, the non-human main cast uses incorrect plural form for "human" ("cheloveki" is kind of like "humanses")

but that train is their lifeline

Correction: that locomotive is their lifeline, and they do indeed have a spare in one of these grottoes at all times. Any other cars are expendable and replaceable, and the train can do without any one of them. They really need one autocannon to kill a wyrm. Having four is a safety regulation for an extremely rare event of being zerg-rushed from all directions at once when standing still for emergency repairs. Plus, this oasis is a part of a network. It can survive long term on its own but would fall into decline if the connection is broken. They do have a reasonable stock for cases when mob activity peaks interrupting traffic. The other oases do have a stock of "instant noodles" for such cases. They also can just request an another train from where there are many. Non-edible, easy to decontaminate assets like train cars, rails or aluminum beams could be safely stored in fenced off sections of wasteland where boss encounter probability is close to zero. That locomotive is very reliable, in 99% cases it fails from battle damage by boss-level mobs. But that level of random encounters is rare. So it's not uncommon for the locomotive or cars to serve for decades with only regular maintenance. Everything broken gets towed to a remote base for repairs, or scraped in place if it is damaged too badly. But more probably a badly battle damaged car would be simply pushed off track and abandoned. Later it will either be pushed further away to not provide cover for mobs near the track and stay there forever kind of like camel bones along a caravan route, or cut up for scrap. Whichever is more economic.

then no one would be considered expendable.

They do have an active lifespan of ~200 years thanks to the magic of life. That old lady is like 300+. The child allowance is a queue of open slots that gets open positions when someone dies or moves to another oasis, so... There's really a lot of drama and intrigue under the surface, but our heroes will barely glimple it.

This sociely ir really a weird mix of Wild West and a rigidly planned economy, a frontier of individualists who adopted a military communism for government. I won't delve into details as it is in fact sketchy.

[Is a bit amusing that Akane boggles at snails.

Well, learning the fun fact when you are eating it...

Although the town could not boast any size to tell of — this concerned the size of its houses as well — it felt very cozy.
[this phrase is a bit awkward

The scale of the town was modest, its buildings modestly sized as well. But still it felt very cozy.

[good choice using the verb plop

The original is kind of "smack self [against the ground]", so I was thoroughly browsing all variants provided by the dictionary, unsatisfied, until I remembered "to plop".

what the punchline is too!”

Not to self: research the word "too" and its uses.

This way to start paragraphs gets really repetitive.

25 total, 14 starting phrases. Owie :(
Corrected replacing every other one with something else.

Why wouldn't Ranma just yell "Is Ahta here?!"

[scratches head in confusion] But she was asking who of them is him, knowing that he should be one of them. Why should she be asking if he is there? [looks at the original: "кто здесь Ата?", literally "who here Ata?"] Err, probably her phrase in reality was "Ata dare da?" [scratches head again].
Will use your version, it seems a serious adaptation is required. Must sound natural.
That's why short phrases suffer the most in translation and why double translation usually totals them.

Special alien guests traveling with cabbage?

Even highly esteemed bosses travel with cabbage :) There is no such thing as dedicated passenger transport, due to irregularity.

Doing what?

Then their guide has been dragged away by the other guy who couldn't handle hauling the boxes alone. The girls were left to themselves until the departure, watching train being made up and loaded. Ranma noticed an oddity at the very end of the platform where it joined the warehouse wall while departing from the cliff face a little due to running at small angle to it. There was a kind of a large roundish shallow recess in the retaining wall, with three gates in it and one in the brick wall of the warehouse in the very corner where it abutted the retaining wall. What was peculiar that the platform obscured these gates blocking their wings from even opening. Was it retractable, then?

The loaders shooing the girls away for getting in their way, the latter went to the car two they would be traveling in. Like the others it resembled a rectangular with rib stiffeners running along it sides. Ranma was sure it's smaller than they use on the railroads of her homeland, both narrower and much shorter, barely six meters long. Looking under the platform she saw it for herself that it only had four wheels. The edges were sharp, the roof was flat, not a trace of windows. The door was almost the third of the length, the slides on which it rolled aside were the only prominent features. In the center of the door there was a handwheel.

It only took about twenty minutes make the train up and fill it to the brim. Along the way,[...]

But finally the great mystery has been revealed demonstrating how much tricks they have to use to save a little more of the precious land: first, the entire train, including the second air defense platform and the two cisterns, have been dragged back using a winch so that much of it disappeared inside the warehouse. Then, the platform proved to really be retractable. A sizable portion of it rose like a drawbridge obscuring further view and access to the warehouse. Ranma ran and leaned around it. There was an unnoticed before switch and a big circular platform with a length of track on it. The formerly blocked gates were surrounding it in semi-circle. One opened releasing the locomotive from a cavern that was dug into the slope. It crawled out to the circular platform which then slowly turned until its rails matched the other end of the switch. Creaking on the sharp turn and belching steam from under its wheels, the six-wheeled locomotive crawled out onto the main track in front of the train. Then it pulled backwards[...]

Why is it still doing this for just her? It doesn't continue to be funny.

My bad :(
The pigtailed girl snorted. “Saotome Ranma.” Only after offering her name did she turn towards him and cast a warning glare at the guy. “Just to[...]

How old is Ahta supposed to be?

“What I wanted to say,” Ahta continued as he stood up in agitation to sit side to side with Ranma, to the left of her: the benches were exactly for three persons each, “is that I am really a girl. Age eight plus, a surveyor with service record of one and eight hundred--”

He had said more but Akane interrupted the droning translation:

“Wait a minute! Did it translate correct? Are you really eight years old?”

“What is 'years'?” Ahta replied in confusion. “This does feel like some sort of rubbish or outdated word. I am eight hundred and twenty three decades days old.”

“Year is-- Oh.” Akane felt really sheepish. Of course. No solar system, nothing for Earth to orbit around, no seasons. “It's a unit of time, 365 days and one fourth. This makes you...” She paused dividing mentally, “22 years old.”

“What a weird non-metric unit. So, anyways. As I was saying,
seven decades ago I stepped into such a stupid curse, and now I am stuck in this,” he gestured along his body, “unnatural form until a specific counterspell is developed. I'm slaving away everywhere I can to work my chance off. But the Awesome Old Hag does have awesome connections, including the ones with those who could develop such a counterspell but don't want to because it's resource intensive.”

Seven decades? Akane thought. Right. He means seventy days, not years.

Wait... it's only been three days?

Yup. The vast majority of the plot takes only four days tops.

Akane should say something here,

Akane frowned lifting one brow. Something was {i}definitely{/i} not right here. She made to speak then changed her mind. No, it couldn't be, she was being silly.

Shouldn't Ranma be at least seventeen by this point?

Kind of breaks the SM canon (if there is anything left to break there, feh) that they should all be in the first year of high school. That corresponds to 16. I'd better assume that Ranma and Akane were really 15+ at the start of the manga.

And Ahta is nowhere smooth enough

Two reasons. I dont want this to bloat further and he/she sensed that the client is ready so he/she went straight for the kill.

Either he's not supposed to have a suave bone

Shows me learning English from FFnet, heh.

"Do you ever imagine yourself in the arms of a man?"

Unfortunately, I am unable to change this further and Ahta is still somewhat girly in his mind. So, I hope this works:
Have you ever been held in the arms of a pretty guy?”

Joke was more about someone older going after a younger. It is only like five years.

Anyways, :P
“What?” Ahta jumped to his feet and away from the panicking Ranma. “A {i}husband{/i}? Already connected by the sacred bond of marriage at such a young age?” he exclaimed in shock.

Most other corrections applied. Thank you! :)
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:13 am

from someone you keep hinting at pegs others as female.

Ohshi-- It was confusing, right?
Corrected:

Towards the end of his speech the medallion switched pronouns to convey his speech as if he was female. Akane felt a pang of irritation.{a class="comment_link" onClick="PopupComment('33_01');"}(note&nbsp;1){/a}

{div id="comment33_01"}{p}{b}1{/b}{br}Unlike English where "I" is genderless and "He/She" conveys gender, the vast majority of the third person pronouns in Japanese are genderless, as if they used "they" most of the time. The first person pronouns, on the other hand -- at least the ones used in the anime -- are more or less gender-charged, see {$ifdef ffnet}Wikipedia{$else}{a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pronouns" target="_blank"}more at Wikipedia{/a}{$endif}. The version "I" used by vast majority of anime girls is "atashi" (Me, girly) -- except Haruka who uses "boku" ("I, tomboy" when used by a girl, or polite "Me, boy" when used by a male). Girl-Ranma uses "ore" (I, macho) to reinforce her masculinity.{/div}
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby ryuumon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:38 am

Hi Cheb,

I finally got around to Orphus-annotate all the way up to half of chapter 33. (going to finish the rest later)
I really tried my best to preserve the feel of the text as much as possible and mark only passages and words where good old Noah Webster, spinning in his grave, would
start putting a ships engine to shame. :-) (Putting that in relation: I would probably have done much much worse.) Of course I failed and also suggested changes that felt more appropriate to me insofar as the use of English phrases was concerned. I hope you find them useful and would be really happy to see the translation updated accordingly.

Btw: Chapters 29 and 32 seem to be missing the hyperlink to the next chapter at the end.

Some stuff I didn't mark with Orphus:
Both to their usual senses and their magical vision. The oasis blanketed with life-giving for was barely visible below like a blurry mirage, only the central spire with its towers and the opposing rim were visible sharply.

In order to change the sentence as little as possible, might I suggest the following:

Both to their usual senses and magical vision. The oasis, usually rich with life-giving force, was suddenly hidden like a blurry mirage. Only the central spire with its towers and the opposing rim were still sharply visible.

emerging from somewhere on the right, to arch to the right disappearing in the blurry haze that served as horizon here

on the right .. to the right ?
ryuumon
Initiate

Postby ryuumon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 am

Cheb wrote:Nuh-huh. This is my quirk and I am keeping it. I have a habit of using a queer made-up word or two per stoty.
The original "monstrolik" is gleefully invalid. The correct merger of "monstr" and "krolyk" should be "monstrokrolyk".
In my older original-fiction story, the non-human main cast uses incorrect plural form for "human" ("cheloveki" is kind of like "humanses")

So that's how that word came about. You might want to consider putting interesting explanations like that into a story footnote. :)
ryuumon
Initiate

Postby Cheb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 am

Thank you! :D That's a lot. :)

Will process during the weekend, or at Friday if possible. :)
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 am

Applied :) Posted on FFnet :)

Page URL: http://www.ranmafics.ru/fanfics/your_de ... a28e.shtml
User comment:
the sentence, while gramatically not entirely wrong, really
hurts somehow
Context:
hall now? By diving? It's a hundred meters if not more,
<!!!>we won't have enough breath to even reach down there,
not to mention aiming the portal!<!!!> And that's if we
won't be eaten by some sharks on our way

Ummm, It's a hundred meters if not more. Our breath won't last long enough to reach that depth, not to mention aiming the portal!
This is better, right? Right?

User comment:
For those who [those->plural: "are" or "were"] able to sense
[object?: "such things"].

[facepalm]

Page URL: http://www.ranmafics.ru/fanfics/your_de ... a33e.shtml
User comment: readed
Context:
a burst pipe. Or someone splashing something out. It even
<!!!>reach<!!!> such idiocy as wandering gold fish
merchants. Just imagine

something out. {b}Things were even reaching such heights of lunacy[/b] as wandering

Page URL: http://www.ranmafics.ru/fanfics/your_de ... a33e.shtml
User comment:
sugg: But then a guy turned into a girl that you cannot
punt, turns up and whoops
Context:
thanks to punting the guys faster that the reaction came.
<!!!>As soon as a guy turned to be a girl that you cannot
punt, and whoops<!!!>. But he should admit, the bugger
performed a masterful

Until the next guy turned out to be a girl that you cannot punt and gotcha.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Next

Return to Stories and C&C