Career Opportunities 6

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or even fanfiction. All completed /ready-for0review longform creative writing allowed. No posting of individual scenes; that is what the Outlines and Scenes section is for.Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Career Opportunities 6

Postby LawOhki » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Spokavriel wrote: I think Nodoka should be so hesitant that Seto sees a bit more information might be needed. She could call up Washu and have her start presenting data on Genma from the worlds law enforcement. Showing with reports of victims and officers not to mention detectives that the Saotome Family honor is nothing but tarnish. No Mettle left to it.

Then I think the possibility of Nodoka letting go of the contract will be easier if not her even asking to come along into space.

Edit: Think about this angle. If Seto adopts Nodoka on her divorce from Genma she gets Ranma as a grand child anyway :twisted:

As much as I LOVE to play up that Genma is some horrible criminal :roll: there's few better ways to ensure that Nodoka wants them all to commit suicide because Genma has supposedly failed so much as a person and Ranma has failed in the pledge.

I really don't understand why it's assumed Nodoka, the manly pledge nutcase, is going to be more understanding and modern than Genma who mostly doesn't give a damn what goes on.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:03 pm

So you don't think there is any possible way to convince Nodoka that Ranma deserves to live?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:05 pm

Spokavriel wrote: So you don't think there is any possible way to convince Nodoka that Ranma deserves to live?

There is, but trying to tarnish Genma to make Ranma look better is hardly the way it should be attempted.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Tarnish? Presenting what has been reported about him? Bar tabs, drunken disorderly, petty theft, dine N dash, allegations of kidnapping when Genma has taken Ranma back from others (Shown in anime only Genma more or less fishing for Ranma with a stick to take him away while someone's back is turned.)

Ranma has already said quite clearly he's not killing himself and he is going to honor the obligations he made himself. And then there are the opinions of Ranma's room mates...

How long until Washu admits it isn't a disguise but a control on the curse?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm

As I stated on TFF... I'd rather Ranma pretty much ignore Nodoka and instead concentrate on confronting Seto and/or Washu for forcing this crap on him... and now the meeting on top of everything else... He is not Seinna... I would not expect him to just sit back and take it like Seinna did...

Lawra is of course free to do whatever is already planned, I'm merely stating my own prefered direction...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Spokavriel wrote:[color=#bd527b] Tarnish? Presenting what has been reported about him? Bar tabs, drunken disorderly, petty theft, dine N dash,
All of which he did before he even met her. Genma didn't suddenly become a thief after leaving her. Having someone sit there trying to make Genma look horrible in her eyes will only reflect badly on Ranma. Nodoka entrusted Ranma to Genma to raise, if Genma is lacking then Ranma can only be lacking.

allegations of kidnapping when Genma has taken Ranma back from others (Shown in anime only Genma more or less fishing for Ranma with a stick to take him away while someone's back is turned.)

Referencing the anime is the quickest way to get me to dismiss that point. There are very few things I would ever use from the anime much less would I ever use them for characterization or backstory. The anime is garbage.

Vilifying Genma is short sighted at best and ignores that Ranma is will to lie, cheat, and steal with the same reckless abandon.
Ranma has already said quite clearly he's not killing himself and he is going to honor the obligations he made himself. And then there are the opinions of Ranma's room mates...

Correct, Ranma is much more angry with Washu/Seto than he is with Nodoka who he doesn't really know. All that is to be decided now is whether or not Nodoka is a part of his life and if so to what extent.

How long until Washu admits it isn't a disguise but a control on the curse?

I was going to have it at the end of this chapter. Since she did say earlier that she would tell him that night.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Nodoka stared at the paper in indecision. “Our family honor will be forever tarnished unless--.” She paused and let out a ragged breath.

“Did you plan this?” Ranma suddenly spoke up, staring directly at the tall mint haired woman.

“Plan what?” Seto asked innocently.

“For this?” Her son pointed towards her.

“We were keeping an eye on you and obviously we expected you might come into contact with people you knew.” The woman answered calmly.

“You knew because you planned it!” Roughly standing up and stomping away, he paced angrily back and forth. “It’s just too perfect. The Amazons, the Tendos, and then my mom shows up just in time for you to whisk me away for this calm peaceful conference that you’re going to help settle.”

“Ranma I admit to preparing for this outcome but I assure you that it was not the intent of your visit to Earth to cause it.” Seto’s explanation and calm façade held but Nodoka picked up on just the tiniest hint of desperation.

“You.” Ranma snorted and looked away in frustration. “You—almost had me believing that the stories about you were fake. That you didn’t have a plan and use for everyone. But I guess it is true, isn’t it? It’s all games and plots.”

Nodoka looked slowly between the two, missing out on something, and not knowing how to ask for an explanation. It was another clear indication that she had missed out on vital parts of her life. “Son--.” She drew her child attention, wanting to know why he was so upset but paused as the sharp look he gave her. “Perhaps you should take a deep breath.”

“Yes deep breaths.” The raven haired teen nodded rapidly and took several deep breaths. “Do you know what she wants from me?” He indicated Seto. “She enrolled me in school as a girl. She puts herself as my guardian. She offers to adopt me into her family and following that I can’t help but imagine I’ll be married off for some political purpose.”

“That’s not true.” Seto tried to correct the boy until Ranma held up his hand.

“Like with Noike?” He asked sarcastically. “Was it before or after when you decided to set her up with Tenchi?” Ranma seemed to be growing more and more agitated with every point he was trying to make.

“It didn’t happen like that.” The woman calmly tried to explain before she was interrupted.

“No but it did happen. Just like with how you created a conga line of suitors for Amane.”

“You’re really blowing things out of proportion.” Seto tried to slow down Ranma’s tirade.

“Why don’t you just be honest? Huh? What’s your big plan for me? What little piece of the galaxy will I get you?” Ranma demanded angrily.

“I think you need to calm down.” Seto hardened her gaze and Ranma vanished in a flash of multicolored light.

“Wha—what did you do?” Nodoka asked, shocked over Ranma’s anger at the woman, and that he had just disappeared.

“I sent him to his room.” The woman answered sadly.

“Why was he so mad with you? Was what he said true?”

“Nodoka-dono some of what he said was correct.” Seto admitted. “And I am more than happy to explain anything that you want.”

“I feel so out of the loop.” She sighed. “I don’t know what to ask first.”

“Take all the time that you want.”

---------

I kind of like the idea of a little mental break down.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:37 pm

I kind of like the idea of a little mental break down.

Hmmm... not bad, but I think she made a mistake and set a bad precedent.

Seto has now proved (in Ranma's mind, mind you), that not only is he correct, but that whenever he gets to something she either does not want to discuss, or may seem like she may lose in conversation... she will simply make him disappear... giving her time to figure out a approach to beat him.

'Sending him to his room' also implies he is to be treated like a child... whether true or not it means she will not take him seriously.

She has now turned conversation between herself and Ranma into a battlefield of sorts... while he is really ill equipped to take her on... it does not mean he will not try... and now will need to look at everything told him with a grain of salt...

He *also* must now realize she is alone with Nodoka, and who knows how much anything coming from either will be trustworthy...

Will be interested in the fallout...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Nice addition. You had Nodoka though say how much she missed of her life before saying Son in the paragraph ending in saying he should take deep breaths. I think it should be her son's life. So which scene will you follow? Keep with this one for a bit more or see what is going on with Ranma?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Nice addition. You had Nodoka though say how much she missed of her life before saying Son in the paragraph ending in saying he should take deep breaths. I think it should be her son's life. So which scene will you follow? Keep with this one for a bit more or see what is going on with Ranma?

Going to Ranma for a bit then back to Seto who let Nodoka in on this little conversation.

----------

“I’ll tell you when I need to calm down!” Ranma yelled at empty air, realizing too late that he was no longer facing Seto but the large bed of his room on the Mikagami. “Damn it!” He shouted ineffectually before grabbing the edge of his bed and roughly throwing vertically up against the wall. His dresser received the same treatment, bouncing through the front door, to smash against the grass outside. Huffing and puffing in the center of his room, he glared at the wall, daring it to incur his wrath until his bed came down on his head squashing him to the floor. Popping his head and shoulders out the side, Ranma growled and cross his arms, his left eye twitching angrily.

Yelling in frustration, he stood up suddenly, and bent the bed in half before shoving it outside. Everything here reminded him of Seto, her lies, and the future in space he had condemned himself to. Ranma paused in his anger, feeling that something was amiss. “Wait.” No one had taken the restrictions off of him, he should be as weak as a normal human.

When no answer came for his concern, he stomped out of the home sized room, and headed towards the control area to look for Seto so he could continue giving her a piece of his mind. He didn’t know how to get back to the field where they had been but there should be someone there who can teleport him back. Asking around, he found out that none of them new Seto’s current whereabouts because she had not wanted to be disturbed. Growing frustrated that his first act to find Seto had failed, he headed down to where the Mikagami’s real body was housed.

“I take it you’re not going to help me find her, are you?” He asked the otherwise normal looking tree, standing in the shade created by the leaves.

“Yes I’m angry at her.” He exclaimed indignantly at the ships answer.

“No I’m not going to—hurt her.” Ranma wanted to emotionally hurt Seto but he didn’t want to physically harm the woman.

“Hey! She started this.” He crossed his arms and sat down in a cross legged position. “I am completely calm and I don’t appreciate being told that I need to calm down.”

Rolling his eyes and sighing, he just wasn’t getting through to the tree. “There’s a time to get angry and there’s a time to not, this is one of those times where I should be angry.”

He paused at the Mikagami’s next question. “You want me to explain it to you? I thought you knew it all from Seto. Oh—I didn’t know you could keep things from each other.” Scratching at his chin, he had thought they were constantly and freely sharing information between each other. “If I tell you, will you take me to where Seto is?”

“No promises, huh?” Uncrossing his arms, he leaned back and planted his hands on the grass. “I guess I can try.” He didn’t know how much a sentient tree could relate but it would give him time to come up with more reasons to be angry with Seto.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Mikagami, Accidental Psychiatrist.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby ijp92 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:32 am

well, I'm happy with what you've written so far.
ijp92
Senshi Cadet

Postby LawOhki » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Drive by update.

----

Strolling down a dirt path lined with trees, Seto nodded her head towards the other woman in affirmation of her most recent question. While the situation was different than she had expected, the Earthling was showing where Ranma had received his inquisitive nature from. Although that wasn’t particularly fair of her, Genma had been the central parental figure in Ranma’s life, so she should give the man some credit.

“While there are examples, it’s considered exceptionally strange for anyone bonded with a tree ship to not join a royal house.” She explained, trying to assuage Nodoka’s distress at the implication that Seto was trying to steal her child away. “It’s merely a practical political arrangement.”

She could admit to herself that she had made a mistake in assisting Ranma in finding Nodoka once again. The Earthling was currently a very negative influence. The boy needed to move on from his life on Earth not be forcibly tied down by misplaced sentiment. For long term and positive growth, Ranma needed to stop thinking so terrestrial, and to start thinking in a large galactic scale.

Then again, Nodoka was only a temporary influence, so she could afford to be briefly indulgent.

“That makes sense-- I suppose.” The Earthling stopped to watch a small fox like creature pause while moving through the surrounding trees to look at them. Two bright amber eyes appraised them both before it vanished off into the forest. “I’m overwhelmed by this place and I don’t understand how my son has adapted. Then again, I do not know my child.”

“Unfortunately your time with him will remain limited. A consequence of your choice to have Genma raise him.”

“Is there anyway that-- that could be changed?” Nodoka asked hopefully.

“The rules were bent quite extensively in the first place.” She answered evasively. “But I will do my best to ensure that you will have a way to communicate.”

“Duty is heavier than a mountain.” The woman stood up straighter and tried to look resolute.

“Something I fear Ranma is still struggling to learn.” Seto smirked as she motioned for Nodoka to stop. “Shall we go see if he’s in a more agreeable mood?”

“I’m not so sure if I should. I’ve only caused disharmony since I’ve seen him.” Nodoka fidgeted with the sleeves of her kimono while looking away uncertainly.

“Then how would you like to properly meet Mikagami-chan?” She certainly didn’t expect anything from it but it would be interesting to see her reaction.

“Isn’t that the name of this-- ship?” The Earthling asked in confusion, still struggling with the concept of a tree ship and their enormous interior.

“Yes, and I’m sure she would enjoy the chance to make your acquaintance.”

zx

Ranma felt especially tired as he sat crosslegged under the shade of Mikagami. He had passionately explained why he was so upset with Seto, expecting the tree ship to fight him over every point. Instead the living ship had listened with incredible patience and even added to his reasons to further his case against Seto. Somehow, while feeling justifiably angry with the Juraian noble, it made him feel better by getting it out.

“And what do you think I should do?” Initially he thought to add ‘if you’re so smart’, but that felt wrong. Mikagami wasn’t to blame for his situation and the tree projected an aura of peace and serenity that felt too sacred to destroy further.

She didn’t offer him any suggestions, which he should have expected.

Closing his eyes, he considered how his choices had led him to this point even if he didn’t fully understand the consequences. If he didn’t like Seto’s plans then he could leave. He had sworn no sacred vows to Jurai for life and they really didn’t consider him to truly be in their service until after he completed his time as a cadet. Ranma was already out in space so he could explore the galaxy and see all the wonders that it held.

But if he threw away his ties to Jurai then he could never return home. Before the body enhancement he would have been dropped off back on Earth with his memory of life in space wiped. However, he had gone through with it in a rash decision to remove the Jusenkyo curse.

‘Maybe I should have paid more attention to what she had to say.’ He conceded, remembering how he had dismissed Seto’s warning the night before his body enhancement.

“It’s been quite some time since Mikagami-chan has had so much attention.” Seto’s amused voice made him open his eyes to see the tall woman at the base of the steps that led up to the control room. Behind her, almost hiding, was his mother looking at him in trepidation. “Nodoka-dono, this is the real Mikagami.”

“Hello, it’s-- nice to meet you and I’ve had a lovely time aboard.” Nodoka nodded curtly to the tree, clearly having little interest in it before addressing him. “Son, how are you feeling?”

Ranma took a deep breath as the tension he had been feeling earlier returned. “Like I’ve been taken advantage of to serve her goals.” He answered, narrowing his eyes at Seto. ‘I must be spending too much time around Noike if I’m going to talk like this.’

Stretching out his legs, he stood up in one smooth motion. “If you expect me to be part of your family then I’ll need to know what those goals are-- or no deal.” He heard his mother gasp softly but he never looked away from Seto’s red eyes gazing back at him intensely through her mint colored bangs.

“I would expect nothing less.” Seto’s red painted lips smiled approvingly.

‘I was kind of hoping she’d fight a bit more.’ He should have come up with a lot more conditions. This was the kind of bargaining failure that his father was known for.

“Do I not get a say in this? He is my son.” Nodoka interjected upset over being left out of the discussion.

“Would becoming a Prince of Jurai satisfy your contract to be manly?” Seto shifted the subject.

"A-- a-- a-- a prince?" Nodoka stuttered.

"He would be in line to become emperor as well. Though only a series of truly extraordinary circumstances would move him to the front of the line of succession." Seto added as though she was considering just how exactly she would bring it about.

"That would be very manly."His mother slowly conceded.

"Also, while I know it's not the norm, polygamy is practiced in the Jurai empire. So he could have many wives." The mint haired woman quickly hid a toothy grin behind her folding fan.

"Son, you must accept her offer now." Nodoka quickly informed him.

Ranma simply blinked repeatedly, having not expected Seto to be buttering up his mother with information that fit right into her mentality. "Uh-- I guess I do-- so long as I chose who I marry." He added, not wanting to give Seto everything.

"Excellent, I'll just send you two back to Earth to finish off your visit while I go make the arrangements." Seto snapped her fan closed and didn't wait for a response before she was already heading back up the steps.

'Did I just win or lose?' Ranma asked himself in confusion as the teleporter kicked in.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:27 pm

LawOhki wrote:'Did I just win or lose?' Ranma asked himself in confusion as the teleporter kicked in.

heh

Nodoka is plottong something now. heh
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby RobustPhysics » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Always nice to see an update on something so old ^^

Why Ranma is being somewhat civil towards Nodoka again? Yeah, he's 'upset' that Seto was interfering so much, but wasn't he just as mad at hearing Nodoka's morals? And now Nodoka is repeating almost the same things that made him blow up at her before. I suppose I could see him feeling apathetic towards her, but it's weird that Ranma would care about Nodoka's opinion - especially since he basically agreed to be adopted right in front of her.

And with Seto 'buttering' Nodoka up, wouldn't that just irritate Ranma more? She's manipulating people again after all. I dunno, been a long time since I last read Career Opportunities and never watched GXP, but seems weird to me. Does she often 'butter' people up, rather than directly manipulating people?

Very few grammar related stuff for this recent section. Not sure if this matters in a draft or not, but I noticed these four things.

{{..his life on Earth not be forcibly..}} - Bit of a run on or something here. Add a comma after 'Earth' perhaps?

{{Then again, I do not know my child.}} - I understand what Nodoka is saying, but sounds a bit weird.

{{...the concept of a tree ship and their enormous interior.}} - Should be its not their I think, yeah? Otherwise get rid of the 'a' and maybe ship plural maybe.

{{..very manly."His mother..}} - Forgot a space there.

Overall though, I enjoyed being able to read this. Especially since I hadn't even realized there was a chapter 6 on fukufics before, and got to read a bunch of this <3
RobustPhysics
Senshi Candidate

PreviousNext

Return to Stories and C&C