Sub-Silver (OLD)
30%
Sub-Silver (OLD)
30%

Total votes : 64

Site Poll: Board Style

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:18 am

Which Board Style do you use.

And if you don't use the new one why not?

Note: The dropdown menu problem for IE7 has been fixed.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Bliss » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:28 am

I use the old one, because I'm used to it.

That, and for some reason, I have a side-scroll bar on the new style, and when I scroll it all the way to the right, I'm left with a huge white margin. *shrugs*

Edit: That's not to say I'm never going to use the new-style. I assume, that as the bugs get hammered out, I'll switch over, just to get a feel for it. After all, it's never too late to change and all that ne?
Last edited by Bliss on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess of Nyx (Nix)
Saving the world, One Bishie at a Time

Rank Up! Spammaster Rank C by Himi-chan Sept. 5, 2007
Appointed 'Universal Translator' by Cybses July 22, 2006
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Rockman_Zero » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:48 am

That, and for some reason, I have a side-scroll bar on the new style, and when I scroll it all the way to the right, I'm left with a huge white margin. *shrugs*

Are you using IE in any of it's incarnations? If so, that would be your problem. Try switching to Firefox and see if that clears up your problem. </shameless_plug>
"One shall stand, one shall fall..."
Rockman_Zero
Senshi Cadet

Postby camk4evr » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:57 am

I'm using the old style. I just don't like the new one (sorry) and I'm used to the old style.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Rei-chan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:48 am

Honestly, I keep switching back and forth. I have no particular problem with either style once that drop down menu part was fixed for ie7.
Princess of Charon
Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu September 25, 2006.
I ain't got to explain it. I'm living magic, remember?
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:51 am

Using the new. Trying to get used to it, and it's quirks. Stacy put in a lot of time, I'm willing to do the same.

(I saw a bug report thread, so I'll just comment in that one on things I find).

I just wish there was a theme to reflect my old-forum style: Dark background with white text. I usually find that a lot easier on the eyes... Oh well...
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:54 am

I gotta go with the old...I use it at most of the forums I attend. I'm not one for change. ^^;
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Screwball » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:09 am

New. I think it's very swanky.
After careful study of Number One's biographic work My Ceaseless Quest to Conquer Earth and Destroy its Puny Inhabitants, we have come to the conclusion that the Ghast Empire may well be up to something rum.
Screwball
Asteroid Senshi

Postby nodregah » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:01 am

I use the old, but I really like the new. As I stated on another thread, limited internet time just makes learning the new style impracticle.
"You will know your greatest enemy when you look in the mirror."
nodregah
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:46 am

Old, for the same sort of reasons as Bliss and Lio; it's what I'm used to, and it's the same as the ones used on most other forums that I go to.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby claymade » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:03 am

Old, for the following reasons:

1.) Familiarity. It follows not only the old scheme of the board, but also the general scheme of most of the other forums I've gone to. It's far easier--and just generally more comfortable--to use a setup that you're very familiar with.

2.) Compactness. This applies both in the main forum index and the sub-forum topic index. The space taken up by each entry is larger in the new one, which means less is visible on the screen at a time, which means a bit more scrolling. Not to mention that I just like the aesthetic feel of the compactness itself.

3.) Speed of Use. Tools that I use often--especially "Log out", and to a lesser extent "Profile" and "Private Messages"--are available with a single click, instead of activating a drop-down menu and then going to the right sub-item and clicking.

4.) Width of the "Review Topic" box. In the old version, the "Review Topic" box when you're replying to a post is wider than in the new version. In the old version it's as wide as my screen--in the new one it's about a fifth of my screen's width. Thus, less is visible and more scrolling is required.

5.) Aesthetics. The varying shades of blue and grey in the old scheme give definition and borders to the various elements in the forum, making it easy for the eye to distinguish them. It's slightly harder on the eyes--slightly more work--with all the backgrounds white.

In particular, I would miss the shaded grey background that dileneates text that we're quoting of someone else's, along with much the greater indentation that the old design gave to those quotes, and the solid line as opposed to the dotted-box line. All three of those conspire to make it feel much more easy and natural for me to distingush quotes in the old version.

In any case, those are the reasons that the old version edges out the newer version for me. Not that the new one isn't really cool in its own way--it's just that given a choice, the issues above tell more heavily for me.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:21 am

I had to switch back to subsilver because the new style lacks something I need to monitor the threads.

In the new theme, when you go to the "posts since last visit", much of the info displayed in subsilver is missing.

I'm talking about the columns for Forum, Topics, Author, Replies, Views, and Last Post. The information they give me is needed. When Stacy has a chance to fix that, I'll switch to the new theme.

I would also like to see contrast between quoted text and the background colors.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Stacy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:33 am

lwf58 wrote:In the new theme, when you go to the "posts since last visit", much of the info displayed in subsilver is missing.

I'm talking about the columns for Forum, Topics, Author, Replies, Views, and Last Post. The information they give me is needed. When Stacy has a chance to fix that, I'll switch to the new theme.

I would also like to see contrast between quoted text and the background colors.

It does display that information now. I fixed it when I noticed that I had left that out.
Ask me about my curses, clothing, contracts, wishes, viruses, potions, wards, prophecies, mutant abilities, school uniforms, books, hexes, jewelry, wards, DNA resequencers, computer programs, enchantments, weapons, water springs, musical instruments, blessings, alchemic techniques, porphyric feline hemophilia, spacial anomalies, kitsune magic, demonic adoption rituals, and data manipulation techniques for turning people into girls!
Stacy
Site Mistress

Postby Metroidvania » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:10 am

Pretty much what Claymade stated reason-wise for me, in addition that for some reason, the new style takes more than a fair bit longer to load for me. So, for now, I'm using the old style.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:18 pm

I use the old style, both because I find it looks more like a forum in general (the familiariy doesn't hurt), but also that the new one seemed a bit jumpy and slow.

-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Polls