Potter + Slayers

Do not request fics that a simple search engine lookup can find. Follow the rule when naming threads

Potter + Slayers

Postby Spokavriel » Thu May 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Having trouble getting through times where characters bring up the Anime or just as a verse in a history book. Anyone know of good fics where members of the Slayers cast are teaching at Hogwarts. I don't mean the situation in Wild Magic where Xellos is teaching one person but actual whole course loads on the Teaching staff.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Potter + Slayers

Postby Té Rowan » Fri May 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Currently, all I remember is a very spammy fic in which Voldemort was sweatdropping(!) over the fact that the Hogwarts students were far more insistent on running from Professor Inverse than from him. Am still grepping my lib to see if I have it on disk.

And indeed I do: "Dark Arts Indeed" on Fubar Fics.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sat May 07, 2011 8:27 am

Hmm, the closest I can get to that are a couple fics involving the crossover but not involving them as teachers directly. I think it stems from the fact that they just don't mix well, in spite of both being heavily magical series. Slayers style magic makes HP magic look like a kid's toy. I mean seriously... the strongest spell in HP kills a single person. Multiple spells in Slayers blow up entire cities.

I've seen some fun crossovers between the two, but nothing involving the Slayers cast directly at Hogwarts in anything approaching a serious manner.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat May 07, 2011 8:37 am

The catch is most Slayers magic is so powerful because of channeling power from an external source. Like tapping a Mazoku to power a spell. What magic can Slayers cast members do without doing any channeling? Most Magic in their world is found. No one really makes anything. So what of all that they find can be used without tapping into an external power source?

If that could be answered we might have the starting clue to working out what they might be allowed and able to teach at Hogwats.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sat May 07, 2011 8:46 am

Oh sure, there are ways that they could be teaching there. But the problem with that is that they just aren't themselves without the capacity for accidental great destruction.

But, for the sake of it: charms or defense would be the only subjects to really make sense directly based on what they cast. Perhaps a healing/exorcism course as well. I could see runes and arithmancy being argued as how they learn spells in both systems.

The only crossover plots other than what has already been mentioned that I can think of don't do that though. I know a fic where Lina is Harry's grandma and crazy stuff happens. A fic where Harry is raised in the Slayers universe and teaches his friends a bit about his magic when at Hogwarts. A fic where Ranma is Harry's adopted older brother, Lina's reincarnation, and they both go to Hogwarts eventually. And a fic where Lina is jokingly hired to kill Voldishorts and blows everything up. I can't think of a single one where an actual Slayers member cast is a Hogwarts teacher though.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat May 07, 2011 8:52 am

What about things you hear about Ministry workers get jobs doing but doesn't seem to be taught at Hogwars? Surprising since its supposedly the BEST school in existence teaching Everything by many descriptions. Such as Curse Breaking or classifying magical artifacts? Divining their uses instead of more common divination trying to see the future? Lina does things like that every time she sorts her rescued loot.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sat May 07, 2011 1:12 pm

There is that.

Personally, I'd really like to see Lina teaching Ron how to eat properly. The poor boy just doesn't understand that you aren't supposed to chew, just swallow.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Search