How Usagi gets into high school.

Do not request fics that a simple search engine lookup can find. Follow the rule when naming threads

Re: How Usagi gets into high school.

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 am

Eh... I figure that Endymion would probably handle most of the work and responsibility. She'd likely only get involved if something came up that required the senshi to get involved. There is one time, during the last story arc of the manga, where we see Pluto reporting to Neo-Queen Serenity, and only her, so she does seem to bear at least some responsibility. Beyond that, I don't think there's any indication of there being a government that includes other people (elected or otherwise) in the governing process.

The "fairytale queen" has some merit, though. It was said that she only left the palace once or twice during her nine-hundred-year-plus rule, after all. I don't really think that that would have a positive impact on what she might be interested in to learn, either. Actually, that'd give her more reason to read more manga, watch more TV and play more video games, so she can have something to do while living in the palace.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Based on what I've seen, I'd say Endymion does indeed do the 'Country Running' work.

Neo Queen Usagi however, I would probably see as Commander In Chief of the military. Considering the Senshi report to HER. And the Senshi effectively ARE the military.

It would not surprise me one bit, that Usagi, being the kind person she is, who wants peace and happiness, is the one who makes the decision to use force. Because she's the LEAST likely to use force and will look for alternatives. Thus, when she DOES make the decision to use force, you know the political options have been exhausted.

Furthermore, considering she has the Crystal, you can also equate her to having the Launch Codes.

Couple that we her experience as Sailor Moon, and if you've allowed her mind to mature, you have in front of you, the most dangerous military commander in history. And nobody would suspect the gentle queen, which makes it even better.

Basing my observations from anime cannon... The Dark Moon's military attack consisted of a massive first strike using hundreds of those crystaline space ships after they got a lucky shot in because the Queen's daughter did something silly and played with the Superweapon.

Far as I can tell, the only people left for the Dark Moon was the elite commanders. Hundreds of spaceships in the opening alpha strike, and when we finally jump to the future, there's what, none left? Maybe one? Their little war was at a stalemate, but it seems that more or less they had suffered catastrophic, if not Total Losses against five girls playing Forcefield... Reducing their offensive to a cheesy villain xanatos gambit. Most likely Just as Planned for Doom Phantom.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:11 pm

You know in all of this.. No one has said quite simply. Usagi gets to High School on her feet. She walks there and since she passed the tests she just walks right in like anyone else who managed to enroll.

Just felt it was needed :P
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Uldihaa wrote:I think that might exacerbate her already low motivation. I wonder if that could be used for a fic?

Ehhh... Usagi not really being in charge has come up in a few fics over the years...

One such example is the 'Sailor Jupiter' stories, specifically arc 2 with the alternate dimensional counterparts. Usagi may be queen, but she makes no decisions.

Another potential one would be 'Ranma, Mage of the Darkness' by HistorianoftheKais. She does not make day to day decisions, but the decisions she does make have been running it into the ground.

Pity neither has been continued in some time.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:49 am

Interestingly, as far as "how much education a queen needs", it's specifically said, in the anime at least, that NQS can't write kanji (in the letter she sends back with Chibi in S)
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am

I don't blame her.

It's bad enough with one writing system.

Japan has three.
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:06 am

But for an adult to write letters without using at least some kanji implies immaturity/childishness and a certain lack of education.

A few steps above a letter written in baby-speak, but not all that many steps.

I think it was shown (or mentioned) that she sometimes 'signs' the letters with drawings of herself or Endymion too.
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:05 am

It could just be how she chooses to act, same as how some girls choose to refer to themselves in the third person in order to sound cute. That, or she suffers from a multiple personality disorder, where one personality is a mature mother and queen while the other is a personality that didn't grow out of high school.

Of course, the anime and the manga illustrate two different people. The manga's story is very straightforward, so it's more serious/realistic (take your pick) and requires Usagi to focus on the situation, rather than having a ton of free time between each monster-of-the-week to goof around as if nothing's wrong. At least it's not as bad as the differences between the anime and manga Rei, though. Man...
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 am

Uldihaa wrote:But for an adult to write letters without using at least some kanji implies immaturity/childishness and a certain lack of education.

Either that, or Japan has decided it doesn't need three systems of writing. If I were Neo-Queen Serenity, that's the way I'd order it.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:28 am

You're saying that she could write-off two systems of writing? :P
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:You're saying that she could write-off two systems of writing? :P

Yes she can, without even using kanji.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Wyrd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm

It is also possible, especially if there is one world government, that Japanese doesn't exist as a language anymore, at least not a living one, or it may not be used for government business so she is out of practice.. This is supposed to be a thousand years in the future so linguistic drift is quite believable, as well. Also, she is sending a letter back to her teenage self, so she might have made an effort to make it look like what she would have written back then. If Japanese is no longer in common usage, then forgetting the kanji after a millenium and only remembering the hiragana makes more sense and doesn't require her to be quite as much of a ditz.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Uldihaa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:07 pm

That's true, but what I was pointing out was that for a Japanese reader, an adult character that doesn't use kanji is reflexively seen as slightly immature, in some ways. Which is probably what Takeuchi intended. It was probably meant to show that NQS hadn't changed completely; there was still a bit of Usagi left inside.

Similar to the way a 'Chinese' character will end his/her sentences with 'aru' to illustrate that his/her Japanese is imperfect, for another example.
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby TerraEpon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 pm

I would hardly call hiragana and katakana different /systems/, just different alphabets. One is used for most words, the other for words that need it. Not something that should be difficult when you grow up learning it.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:03 pm

TerraEpon wrote:I would hardly call hiragana and katakana different /systems/, just different alphabets. One is used for most words, the other for words that need it. Not something that should be difficult when you grow up learning it.

See, what we here at Brainco like to do, is when faced with two systems that have overlapping jobs. Instead of using each system depending on different circumstances, and having to learn the entirety of BOTH systems. We consolidate them into one system. Using majority of what is used in one system, while applying the second system selectively to fill in the gaps left over. See, system one is essential, and system two is supplementary, but they are both stand-alone. Thus, you have to learn the entirely of both systems and use them in situations where they most fit.

This is inefficient, and a pain in the ass. The only thing that would allow this to stand is bull-headed traditionalism.

The new hybrid system is essentially System 1 with fragments of system 2 thrown in to cover any gaps system one overlooks. Toss in some streamlining, and standardization, and we're good to go.
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Fic Search