Fanfiction involving the psychology of changing genders

Do not request fics that a simple search engine lookup can find. Follow the rule when naming threads

Fanfiction involving the psychology of changing genders

Postby Jupiah » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:22 pm

I'm looking for fanfiction involving characters that have changed gender through magical/supernatural means and the trials and difficulties that this change causes in their lifes. Fics with "normal" transgender characters are acceptable too, though those are much rarer.

In particular I want serious fics that focus on the psychology and other mental aspects of this change. In essense, fics that deal with gender identity, sexual orientation, confusion and ignorance of social gender roles and mores, ect. Basically, all the psychological baggage such a change would entail that Ranma 1/2 mostly ignores for the sake of comedy.

For a good example of what I mean, check out Returning Echoes, a Fullmetal Alchemist fic by silkendreammaid. In this fic, set four years after the movie, Alphonse finally finds a way to bring Ed home with alchemy, but the Gate demands an strange price for this service - it turns Ed into a woman. Although Ed mostly accepts this change (it's better than being a suit of armor) it causes her a lot of problems - from dealing with sexist alchemists opposing her becoming the first female state alchemist, to dealing with her confusing new feelings for Roy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Jupiah
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:27 am

Would Cloud Dreamer's Ranko's Honor come close? Or is it still glossed over too much even with the meeting in the mind where the male female and other aspects of Ranmas mind come together?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:49 am

It's a large part of the premise of newRanma. There are parts of it that are sexually explicit though, so you have been warned.

(Actually everything at the link is explicit to some degree or another. The authour of newRanma has more or less dropped off the face of the 'net and the only place I can find a complete copy of the fic is at the 'Ranma 1/2 Lemon Stories Archive')
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Jupiah » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:45 am

Thanks for the links.
Jupiah
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Staren » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:55 am

The first third or so of Couch Trips by Sarge fits your criteria well. It does go pretty much fantasy in later chapters though. The other thing that turns some people off to this fic is that Ranma does end up in a polygamist relationship with Akane and Ukyo and some senes are a little heavy on the lime. Fair warning.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/804058/1/Couch_Trips
Staren
Senshi Cadet

Postby B'man » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 am

Genma's Daughter by Deborah Goldsmith is a good example. Basic premise is that Ranma was born female and magick'd male as a baby, then canon until the story begins. Fairly realistic portrayal of transition (not counting the fact Ranma already has the body) but ends up horribly OOC.
B'man
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:29 am

'Final Approach Ranma' by Trimatter is another excellent one. It's a Ranma/Futaba-kun Change crossover.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2295957/1/F ... oach_Ranma
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:32 pm

NewRanma is also on Fanfiction.net at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/611320/1/newRanma.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 pm

One of the very best is Clothes Make the... by Nightelf. The whole premise of the fic is Ranma's curiosity of what it's like to live as a woman. He and Kasumi come up with a plan to convince everyone he thinks he's a girl by getting a blow to the head. It's right up there with Genma's Daughter for how well it's written.

I'm quite the fan of fics that deal with psychological issues. I've read many that involve such things as Gender Disorder, Multiple Personallities and so on. If you want me to point you in the direction of any of these fics, don't hesitate to ask.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Jupiah » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:I'm quite the fan of fics that deal with psychological issues. I've read many that involve such things as Gender Disorder, Multiple Personallities and so on. If you want me to point you in the direction of any of these fics, don't hesitate to ask.

I'd be grateful if you did. Thanks!

For anyone else interested in this genre of fanfiction, I found a couple of good stories hidden on my favorites list.

First, some Ranma oneshots:
Never Give Up, by Pilgrim,
Realization, by Maxine-san

And also some longer stories:
What's in a Name?, a Ranma/Harry Potter fic by muishiki
More Than a Pretty Face, a Pretty Face fic by Nobody Fiction,
Thy Outward Part, A locked-Ranma fic by Richard Lawson,
The Virus, a multicrossover fic by C. Jones

I know that Thy Outward Part and The Virus both have a bunch of sequals, but unfortunately I can't find any of them. I'd really appreciate it if anyone knows where they can be found, or can point out any other good fics of this sort that I've missed.
Jupiah
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:36 pm

As you haven't specified if you want only anime/manga fics or not you can always go to fictionmania for original stories. The site is specialized in transgender fiction.

http://www.fictionmania.com/enter.html
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:58 pm

Jupiah wrote:I'd be grateful if you did. Thanks!

OK then, here we go... (gotta warn you, all of these are Ranma based fics)

Multiple Personallity:
Dew on the Grass (and Sequel)
Epiphany (also contains mental breakdown through grief)
Comes the Cold Dragon (Warning: Unfinished, extremely long, and highly detailed. Still one hell of a good read if you're willing to stick with it though)

Gender Disorder:
Deep Blue: A Koi Rod Love Story
On Her Own
Permanent (A Dark fic, but one of the very few that I actually like)
Ah! My Ranma 1/2 (crossover. You can easily guess what with from the title)
A Human Saiyajin (Action fic, crossover with DBZ. Has some good psychological aspects to it)

Others:
Dragon Lady of Macross (crossover. Deals with emotional breakdown due to grief, some gender disorder, and sexual denial)
Strangers in a Strange Land (crossover with Saber Marionette J. Human souls stuck in robot bodies)
Awkward Consequences (crossover with Sailor Moon. Deals with teenage pregnancy)

Some of them aren't psychology based fics, but still deal with such issues alongside the main storyline. Hope you like them.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Nightelf's Iris Chronicles
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Drawde » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:10 pm

Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Jupiah » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:59 pm

Thanks a lot for all of the links, everyone. I really appreciate it.
Jupiah
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fic Search