Writing skills

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Writing skills

Postby Thrythlind » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:31 am

For those interested, I've been trying to keep a semi-daily updating blog.

Currently, most of the entries have been about writing.

The blog is here if you're interested. I draw examples mostly from my own original novels, but a couple of times from other places.

The repetition and anti-hero topics could be better.

http://thryth.webs.com/apps/blog/
Thrythlind
Senshi Candidate

Re: Writing skills

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:10 am

I haven't explored the site because i'm a bit busy reading other things and have been doing allot of listening to radio shows online to get a better idea of how things are going with Elections so close.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:08 am

Thrythlind, did you lose a prereader or something lately? I'm still enjoying your Chi and Chakra story for the most part(I don't like where I think you are going with Nabiki, but that is a matter of taste, not a comment on the quality of the writing), but there seems to be a lot more errors making their way into the published product lately.

Again, I am not trying to insult you or denigrate your work, which I feel is quite good, I was just wondering what had changed, should you be willing to tell us.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Thrythlind » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:41 pm

I actually don't have pre-readers right now, so yeah. The main issue is that I started freelance writing and I've been writing my chapters over the space of hours rather than days when I have free time from my paid works. It's not normally a problem, since I've done most of my own proofreading on fanfic forever (my original fic has a minimum of two pre-readers), but sometimes, I let myself get rushed and hurried and some parts get skipped. This is mostly a problem if I make the mistake of writing and posting right before going to bed...something I need to make myself NOT DO anymore.

Oh, anybody who has read my stuff knows that this is not my normal direction on Nabiki either. I like writing her as a good, or at least neutral, character, but I wanted to try out something new.
Thrythlind
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Haven't read the latest chapter. PDF and all. I honestly wouldn't mind PDF if the pages were formatted differently. Say a 5.5x8.5 page instead of an 8.5x11 page.

::sigh:: It would defeat the purpose but if PDF's allowed the text to maintain size on screen when resizing the page I could make it fit.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Thrythlind » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Haven't read the latest chapter. PDF and all. I honestly wouldn't mind PDF if the pages were formatted differently. Say a 5.5x8.5 page instead of an 8.5x11 page.

::sigh:: It would defeat the purpose but if PDF's allowed the text to maintain size on screen when resizing the page I could make it fit.

Since I'm paying the premium rate and no longer have a limit on number of pages I can make, I plan to take some of my Sunday to convert some to pages...that might be a few hours work though
Thrythlind
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:40 pm

If you have open office it can maintain formatting when pasting from a formatted document. Ctrl+A before copying might make that a bit easier.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Thrythlind » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Spokavriel wrote: If you have open office it can maintain formatting when pasting from a formatted document. Ctrl+A before copying might make that a bit easier.

The issue is that I'm getting close to 800k words across all my novels and fics....
Thrythlind
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Reminds me of when I was last trying to work with archived RP games from my old AOL mail folder. I kinda moved nearly that much as a single file copying and pasting it out. My computer had to tripple the swap file but it still managed.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk