Carmen Sandiego, Games and related series discussion + vids?

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Re: Carmen Sandiego, Games and related series discussion + vids?

Postby Shanami » Sun May 30, 2010 11:42 am

A short tripod at the edge of the desk is ideal, but stacking up a few textbooks can work in a clutch. Aside from that, I've always had issues with backlighting on screens even when just taking digital photos so you might consider adding a light source behind the camera if you get issues with that too.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun May 30, 2010 12:12 pm

I've taken pictures of screens before but usually end up with some serious parallax distortions.

Oh and because my previous ACME ID ended up too different than what is seen in the show I've made another one.

Spokavriel_ACME_ID_2.PNG
Spokavriel_ACME_ID_2.PNG (310.96 KiB) Viewed 6704 times

Edit: This one looks allot more like the ones shown in use by Jasmine, Zack, and even the Chief's Daydream of Carmen's future should she return to ACME.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sun May 30, 2010 12:26 pm

I've not really noticed much of a problem with that, but have you considered moving the camera back and zooming it in. Most parallax distortions are the effect of being overly close to the object in question which makes the focal point of the focus lens get pushed into the wrong spot to be resolve clearly.

If you have a proper tripod and can set up away from your desk and zoom in from a distance you might be able to resolve some of those issues. Might kill your sound quality/resolution though depending on your camera.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun May 30, 2010 12:30 pm

That would help if I wasn't stuck using a Logitech web cam according to the serial number on its circuit board its the oldest color design they ever made.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sun May 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Ah, I can't think of a way to correct that then. Sounds like you're somewhat stuck. You might be able to get some free software to make a film of a screencapture. I don't know the name of any, but I had a techy friend do something similar with his audio output where he set up a program to record it directly.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun May 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Ive done a couple things like that before. Problem is my computer isn't always compatible with the older analog video formats. Look at this. NES seen by my computer Youtube insisted it was wide screen because of there being black on the top and bottom. I can't figure out how to get it to avoid doing that on the upload.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Now I am tracking down the ROM's for console editions of the games. Anyone have any memories of how fun or not it is playing;

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego on Sega Master System
Same game on Sega Genesis
Same game on Super Nintendo

Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego on NES
Same game on SNES
Same game on Sega Genesis

I don't know if I want to find out about the Game Cube and X-Box Carmen Sandiego Secret of the Stolen Drums game. But there are other newer series made by The Learning Company that I guess might be worth hearing about like Word Detective, Math Detective, Great Chase and Think Quick. The Junior Detective and other V3 versions of the games are also ones I'd like to know more about.

Edit: Actually I know quite a bit about Word Detective and have a Demo of Where in Time is Carmen V3 because I got a full version of Word Detective on a Cereal Box before I kinda spaced it for awhile. And the V3 Time Demo makes it seem like a Blues Clues revisionism of Carmen Sandiego.

Edit again: I said I had the World demo when I have the Time Demo. And it looks like that group of software I'm complaining about was still from Broderbund it just isn't as good as any of the earlier works.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:34 am

A few other games in the series I am curious about that haven't been mentioned yet are Where in American History, Where in Europe, and Where in Space. But those all seem to only have had DOS and Apple releases.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:24 pm

I now remember why I made myself forget Carmen Word Detective. You never capture Any of the VILE Criminals. You break into their homes and search through their things with no authority. And then you end up running when you are caught in their places illegally. And it has No satisfying end. The tower collapses when you solve a puzzle and everyone gets away! What is the Damn point? Its like a spelling bee with a couple unusual challenges tossed in and some animations that repeat if you ever try to play it again. No variety. You beat it once you have seen just about everything.

Oh sure the tower is gone big deal. There is no capture nor trial of anyone.

Ranting aside I have another Where on Earth is Carmen related thing. I worked out a trifold setup with the ID I posted earlier that would allow it depending on how it is held to look just like every instance ACME ID was shown in the episodes of the series I have access to.

It effectively has the ACME logo no ID info on the cover but that cover can be tucked behind the detailed info photo ID letting it also be held that way as a card as well or worn as an ID Badge like Jasmine was when she was introduced.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:09 am

In spite of all that ranting I still just made a backup copy of the disk. The original was starting to show cracks. It can help with my tendency to misspell quite a few things if I can manage to tolerate it enough. But the earlier Carmen games were Fun not something that you have to endure.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 pm

If there's anyone as lame as I am or just as dedicated to the games here's a blank Detective badge. I included the font I made up for my own one Just erase it before printing. Detective name is one area where it should be filled out however you want even a real signature if you choose to do that.

Blank_ACME_Tri-Fold_ID.PNG
Blank_ACME_Tri-Fold_ID.PNG (439.04 KiB) Viewed 6557 times

You may notice a couple changes since the last ACME ID I uploaded I figured they made it look a bit more consistent. I'm also adding my current version of this ID at the end of the post.

Tips on resizing images.
I don't have the most modern software so in Paint Shop Pro 3.11 I first take whatever I am resizing and double its size. Then I "blur" it. After that I change it to 2 times the size I need it to be and "soften" it to get rid of any distortions from altering proportions. After that I shrink it to its final size and "sharpen" twice. Not the Sharpen more because that ends up making some things awkward in higher contrast parts of the image.

Not sure how you would go about it in other image editors but you more than likely have equivalent tools in all newer image editing software.

Any suggestions on how to handle the commendations? Each version of the games on each different system plays somewhat differently. I was thinking of making stickers for the system saying which version and game name Carmen was Caught in. But I'm more than open to suggestions.

Spokavriel_ACME_ID_2.PNG
Spokavriel_ACME_ID_2.PNG (310.97 KiB) Viewed 6556 times

Edit: I've come up with something more for the badge.

If you can get a flat piece of tin and put it into the back close to the fold by the ACME alone portion but not on that part of the Trifold. The position would be on the side with no printing, in the area of the middle portion. To the side where the top fold is.

It is easy to find flat magnets often sent free in with the Junk Mail for local Restaurants so you can put them on the fridge. Tape or glue one of those to the back of the ID portion (top) and that tin would keep it from flapping around. A strong enough would help hold it closed in Name Tag configuration too with the ID overlapping the ACME plain flap. And with the bit of Tin in there all you would need to wear it on a shirt is a small magnet strong enough to hold it firmly.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:03 pm

It turns out there is at least 1 time where this badge configuration doesn't up to the series. And that is where the badge is held open by Zack asking a Norwegian guy if they can borrow his boat to chase down a viking long boat that Carmen just stole.
ACME_ID_Credentials.PNG
ACME_ID_Credentials.PNG (244.36 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

ACME_ID_Zack.jpg
ACME_ID_Zack.jpg (26.05 KiB) Viewed 6531 times
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Other Talk