.gz files

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

.gz files

Postby Darkbane848 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Whenever I try to read a .gz file, I need to unzip the file first. a couple of years ago, .gz files always opebned as a readable text file in internet explorer, but whenever I try now, it wants to open it in winrar. This happens both in explorer and in opera.

Dowes anyone know of any way to get at least opera to open .gz files as a readable textfile instead of as a zip file?
Darkbane848
Senshi Cadet

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:56 pm

Try this:

-open winrar
-click options->settings->integration
-uncheck GZip.

Basically what that does is tell winrar not to open gz files. Hopefully, this would force ie to open it. As I have no GZ files, I can't test it, though.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby TerraMimic » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:36 pm

You need to set the browser that you want to use to read .gz files to be the default program to open them.

- right-click on a .gz file

- go down to where it says "Open With"

- select "Choose Program..."

- in the window that opens up, choose the browser you want to use from the list and make sure there is a check in the box next to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

- click the "OK" button

That should do the trick, i think. I remember having a similar problem a while back, but since it's been so long since i've seen anything in a .gz file, I can't be 100% sure that it will work.
TerraMimic
Senshi Candidate

Postby Cheb » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:38 am

- right-click on a .gz file
- go down to where it says "Open With"
- select "Choose Program..."

DON'T! :shock:
Last time I tried similar thing in Linux, when I tried to open any .gz file in Firefox, the browser just started a new copy of itself which started a new copy of itself, which... The horror!
If you want to play "close a hell of a lot of windows faster than they spawn" - then go ahead, try this scenario :x
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:44 am

I tell it to open with WinRar and I never have a problem. I can even run Antivirus on it after it's opened before actually reading the compressed file. You can also use the WinRar viewer to read .gz files with the formatting intact. That isn't always true after it's decompressed.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk