Is college really that worthless?

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Postby Ran » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:32 am

The difference is even more pronounced in places where tertiary education is subsidised. For instance in Australia there is a system to reduce the cost of uni education for most local students.

Those that don't quite get in can pay full fees (like international students do) for slightly reduced course entry requirements.

That said, I was a) lucky enough that my parents were willing to pay for my uni education for me, which not only lead to no hecs debt, but also a discount on hecs; and b) I went to a selective high school, and thus I only know a couple of people from my high school who didn't at least start uni, if not finish it so my sample may not be so accurate.

Not only does having a degree typically result in higher pay, in many jobs these days having a relevant degree is pretty much a requirement, if not a relevant degree and at least 1 year's work experience. None of my friends who have finished their degree and not gone onto further study has had difficulty finding work. The only one that has had trouble was the one that dropped out of university.
Ran
Senshi Cadet

Postby Sunshine Temple » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:46 am

Uni's value also goes up in specific fields.

In many of the science and engineering (and medical and legal with grad study) ones the courses you take are quite useful and required to be able to do the work.

So in an acquired-skills sense they are quite useful.

In the difference between public vs private schooling, the knowledge you learn is about the same so the extra cost doesn't go to what you learn.

College should be thought of as an investment in time and money, so the benefits have to be weighted against the costs. The benefits vary greatly depending on what you're going to college for.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:18 am

And keep in mind that it's not always a sure thing. There are lots of people out there that haven't been able to find jobs in the fields that they've studied for, as KonokoHasano pointed out earlier. It helps to keep an eye out for anything---anything worthwhile, I should say---that would help the person get experience in the workplace.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 am

Well, I ended up with a doctorate in nuclear physics, then ran away and joined the museum world. It was a technical museum, so the coursework was surprisingly applicable. Offhand, I'd say college was useful - but if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have studied different subjects.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Kadunta » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:22 pm

I don't recall why I wanted to get to a uni right after high school. Probably because I didn't believe I had expertise on the field I wanted to work at (and even the field was unclear). I was lucky, and my major ended up being what I wanted to do. By comparison, I know a physicist who ended up working as a software developer after getting master's degree with computer science as a minor subject.

Was getting a degree useless for me? I doubt it, since I believe I have now a chance of getting jobs I'd like better than a software developer... but that's because I prefer to have a good dose of theoretical work to go with the practical. Still, I was lucky to get in a uni before the dot com bubble burst and get some practical experience in that field... plus now a potential new job in a company a former coworker put up when my current contract ends. Networking pays off as well, and a higher-education institutions are excellent places for that.

Of course, a lot depends on your major subject, I'd think. How likely is it for you to find job on the field you'd be studying? The question of the potential jobs after you've graduated in that specific field you're interested is, I think, a key factor before really looking into the calculations and statistics Shadell showed. I guess I'm just repeating what CRBWildcat already said.
"Nothing desiccates a mind so much as its repugnance to conceive obscure ideas."
-- E.M.Cioran, "All Gall Is Divided", translation by Richard Howard
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Shadell » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:32 pm

If you're considering Uni, and you're not entirely limited financially (And unable to get enough in scholarships) be sure to consider the difference between a small school and a big school.

Uni can be a time to explore a variety of interests and finding what seems like a good fit for you as opposed to pursuing one course of study from the start, and many majors aren't at all career oriented. (English, Philosophy, etc.) yet still provide easier access to a variety of jobs and further education beyond a BA.

Some states will have cheaper education than others. California and Florida re widely regarded as two of opposite ends. Cali is considered the best (and does charge a lot), and Florida is considered pretty average (and has some of the lowest rates you will see).

There are a few really good schools in Florida. (And they give out a ton more money and are easier to get into than equal education offered in say the North East or California.)

The fact that I'm going to one of those schools doesn't influence my opinions at all....
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu on Friday May 23, 2008 7:33 pm
http://www.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=175018118
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby nodregah » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:13 pm

$0.02

It has been said that the field that you are studying is a factor on weather or not you get a job in that field or not. I was studying Computer Science and was told straight out that jobs in my field were few because of the flood of CS students graduating. The course load was an overload and I had to take a break from school, that was three years ago. Since then I have found my current job, working at a joint forces training center for military units deploying overseas. I am currently working with a circuit judge, a lawyer, two police officers, and three firefighters. Both the lawyer and the judge agree in saying that most degrees are virtually worthless. The fields that absolutely require degrees are not as profitable as they once were, mostly due to frivolous law suits. But mostly, the rest are about as good as tissue. But to be completely honest, I live in a mostly rural area and have no plans to ever move to a population center. I come from a blue collar family, and have a blue collar work ethic. I despise office work and being tied to a desk. I do agree that If you are agreeable to the life style that most college degrees will get, go for it. I am now at a job where I play war games and I have a choice of government contracts to hire on to. The contract job will lead to a permanent federal job.

EDIT:
Arghhhhhh, Topic killer again!!!!!!
"You will know your greatest enemy when you look in the mirror."
nodregah
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Other Talk