What couples do you like?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

What couples do you like?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:49 pm

This was just something I started wondering after seeing the current topic about Ryoga/Ukyo compared to Ryoga/Akari. Just what couples of the Ranma 1/2 fandom do the various members of this board like? I'm not intending to start a debate on the virtues of one couple vs another, this is simply a place for you to list those Ranma 1/2 couples that you most like. If you feel like it, you can also explain why you favor those couples.

Seeing as how I started this topic, I guess I should be the first to stick my neck out (all my couples are based off the anime, my preferred canon):
Ranma/Shampoo
Ranma/Ukyo
Ranma/Kodachi
Ryoga/Kasumi
Ryoga/Akane
Ukyo/Mousse
Tatewaki/Akane

I'm also interested in the concepts of pairing Ranma with the anime-only girls; Kaori Daikoku, who might have been his most caring/normal fiancee given the way she acted, Natsume (Kurumi is a bit too young for my tastes) and Lychee.
Last edited by SpaceKnight of Chaos on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby whatever » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Some of the Couples I like from Ranma are (In no order)

Ranma/Akane
Ranma/Ukyo
Ryoga/Akane
Ryoga/Ukyo
Kodachi/Taro (To a certaint extent)
Ryoga/Shampoo
Ukyo/Mousse
Akane/Kirin (anime)
Mousse/Kaori (anime)
Kodachi/Ranma (Weird Couple I know, Just to clarify I prefer to use Kodachi's anime counterpart for this couple.)
Last edited by whatever on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Out of curiosity, by "Akane/Kirin Toma", do you mean Akane & Kirin & Toma all at once, or Akane/Kirin and Akane/Toma?

And it's interesting to see I'm not the only one who's thought that Akane might have been happier with Kirin than she was with Ranma. I mean, yes, the guy was insistent she marry him, but no more so than Soun was that Akane marry Ranma, and he treated her pretty kindly.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby whatever » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:41 pm

Yeah, I wrote Toma's name by accident (Isn't that the guy from the second movie?)
Akane&Kirin is what I mean to write.

And yes I'm agree with you Kirin was a nice guy with Akane; both of them could have work just fine and better than Ranma/Akane, but that's just my personal opinion.
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:47 pm

Yeah, Toma's the guy from the second movie.

So what got you into Ranma/non-Akane (or Akane/non-Ranma, if you prefer) pairings? Myself, way back when I first got into Ranma 1/2, I sought out the other pairings because Ranma/Akane was so prevalent and it just seemed... well, a waste. At the time, all I knew of Ranma 1/2 was the Pantyhose Taro volume of the manga, and two or three volumes after it (none above 20 though); it seemed so obvious that Ranma was going to get with Akane that fanfics devoted to that pairing just seemed boring. If it was already handled in canon, what's the point in reading it in fanon? The other couples for Ranma seemed more interesting because they meant that the writer had to get extra creative to pull them off right. Akane's loss of palatability came to me sometime afterwards, when I actually got my hands on more of the manga and on the anime.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby whatever » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Well, While I do like Ranma&Akane I am not deluded thinking they are the perfect couple or that they are mean to be like some other people claimed; the truth is there are some other characters whom both of them could work just fine and better than their actual relationship,

Another thing that got me into Ranma/Non-Akane and viceversa, it is that there are a LOT of fics about them to the point that it was getting slightly overused (along with Shampoo/Mousse, Kasumi/Tofu,Nabiki/Kuno.)
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby EdenB » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:22 pm

In no particular order, the reason for most of these being because they could be interesting:

Ranma/Kodachi (Three out of three so far, yet there seems to be barely any fics with this pairing)
Ranma/Shampoo
Ranma/Azusa (always thought this would be amusing and I really liked one fic with it, which I've since lost).
Ranma/Kaori
Ranma/Pretty much anyone he's not usually paired with (i.e. Sayuri, Yuka, Natsume, Kurumi if only for the laughs, etc).

I don't really mind the only pairings since I usually prefer fics which focus mainly on Ranma instead of everyone.
EdenB
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LadyRelena » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:38 pm

Ooooooooo I like this topic.

RanmaxShampoo
RanmaxKurumi (From the OVA's)
UkyoxShinnosuke (From the OVA's)
UkyoxRyuu (possibly)
RyougaxAkari
RyougaxAnna (From the anime)
KasumixTofu (I just really like those two)
NabikixKuno (for the money of course)
Ranma/Shampoo, Ranma/Kurumi, Ryoga/Anna, and Ukyo/Ryuu
LadyRelena
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:08 pm

My favourite couples:

Ranma/Kasumi
Ranma/Kodachi
Akane/Ryoga (they deserve each other)
As for the other cast members, I don't care at all.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Some I always found intriguing:

Taro/Kodachi (funny, even if you wouldn't want to live around both of them)
Ryoga/Kasumi
Mousse/Kasumi
Dr. Tofu/Kasumi (done alot but still I like it)
Ranma/OC
Ryoga/OC
Mousse/OC
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Neko- » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:55 am

Ranma/Akane <-- I know... I'm the minority here :P
Ukyo/Konatsu
Ryoga/Shampoo
Ryoga/Ukyo
Mousse/Shampoo
Kasumi/Tofu

Doesn't mean I won't read stories with different pairings, just that the author needs to do his best to make it a plausible pairing before I like it.

The above pairings in my view are already somewhat plausible, although that does not mean the author can just go about and forego any story building for these. I'd discard the story then anyway.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Well with Dominant partner first I kinda prefer these Ranma 1/2match-ups.

Kasumi/Ono
Ranma/Ukyo
Nodoka/Soun
Nabiki/Tatewaki
Akane/Ranma
Kodachi/Ranma
Ninomiya/Soun

And for Bliss' sake
Ranma/Tatewaki
Ryouga/Tatewaki
Tatewaki/Moose
Moose/Ryouga

I'm not going to explain my reasons but I can see all of those being fun.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Acey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:56 pm

I enjoy Ranma x Akane when their relationship isn't in the forefront of the story. It's been done to death in fics (and in canon) and it's nice to see the emphasis on something else. I feel that Ryoga x Akari falls into this bracket too.

When Ranma isn't paired with Akane, I like to see a Shampoo x Ranma.

I've a soft spot for the quite infrequent Ryoga x Kodachi pairing.

I also like the rather rare Kuno x Akane match-up (because, all pomposity, idiocy and obsession aside, he genuinely does care for her and worships the ground she walks on).

My favourite "almost canon" pairings are Shampoo x Mousse and Ukyo x Konatsu, and I also have great time for the semi-obscure Mousse x Ukyo and Kuno x Ukyo pairings (I blame the latter on Kuno's reaction in the anime only scene where he becomes enamoured of her).

And Taro x any of the fiancées is always great for laughs.
Timotei. Timotei... Timotei?

"Call me Ace 'Acey' Metallium."
"Call Me Rhea"
Acey
Moon Queen Emeritus

Postby Vilkath » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Well I like almost any the RanmaXGirl pairings to one degree or another. I do enjoy the rarer or odd pairings, for no higher reason then the more common ones are just that to common.

And just to say it I like RanmaxRanko or female Ranma be it his 'sister', a split curse or what ever I like this pairing and frankly he's the only guy I think she ever get female Ranma. Strangely this pairing isn't all that common outside of crack fics, and most those are incomplete.

RyogaXall most any girl but Female Ranma. I particulary like to see a RyogaxKasumi because I can't remember ever seeing it before.
"A hero is just the brave idiot who charged a dragon and didn't die."
Vilkath
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Scooter » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:03 pm

Ranma & Any Girl...except Akane. Frankly, she reminds me too much of my ex to like her, and the amount of Knights of the True Fiancee-written stories disgust me. Fanfiction gives authors a creative outlet...so why not explore those other relationships. If I wanted to read canon pairings, I'd read the series
Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.

— Groucho Marx
Scooter
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma