Japanese customs- Watermellons and beaches

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Japanese customs- Watermellons and beaches

Postby Atlan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:11 pm

In one of the Ranma manga volumes, everyone went to the beach. There, they found Kuno had been training- he had been practising hitting watermellons with his bokken.

I didn't think much of this at the time (since I doubt that japan has giant ghost cats, gender-changing martial artists, or magical girls) untill I was watching the Witchblade anime this morning. In it, everyone was at the beach, and they were hitting watermellons with sticks.

Is this a japanese thing? Do japanese people actually beat up watermellons at the beach? Why
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Why not? Watermelons are easy to cool not too hard to stand on end and if you smash them just right you still have edible treats. Although the main thing I've seen that can be attributed to Japan with Watermelons are those square ones that were raised in a container so they have the rectangular instead of ovoid shape.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 pm

The game seems to be popular in Japan. I've seen numerous anime and manga where kids play it when they are on the beach. Basically they cover someone's eyes, give him a stick and he must trie to hit the melon.

Well, look at the Mexicans and their Piñata. That isn't all that different I'd say.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:16 pm

In case you wanted to know the name of that popular summertime game held at beaches, festivals, and picnics is suikawari.

The most common way it is played is: A watermelon is laid out, sometimes on a tarp, and participants attempt to smash it open. Each is blindfolded, spun around three times, and handed a bokken to strike with. The first to crack the watermelon open wins. After it is broken the chunks of watermelon are shared among participants.

Oh and Japanese myth and legends are full of ghost cats called - bakeneko or if the cat is older and has developed two tails it is called nekomata.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PepperJAQ » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:55 am

the bakeneko and the nekomata in some cases are interchangeable. i have read in some places before that they are separate creatures, the bakeneko having three tails to the nekomata's two. and in others that bakeneko are actually older nekomata... but yes, there are a lot of cat legends ^_^;
*sends much good vibes to friends*
PepperJAQ
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:16 am

There are also tales where Nekomata are minor Kami instead of ghosts.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research