Various questions for future fanfics

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Various questions for future fanfics

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:28 pm

I've a number of oneshots planned for the future, and as each has one or two things I'm uncertain about, I thought I'd ask them all here in one big topic.

*What would have happened if Shampoo hadn't used the Xi Fa Xiang Gao attack on Akane? One person I once talked to claimed that this would have made Ranma 1/2 (or at least its stint in Japan) a lot shorter and ending with Ranma accompanying Shampoo back to China, but is this likely?

*In one of the anime episodes, Ukyo gets discouraged about how Ranma is always treating her as simply "one of the guys" and tries to change things by dressing in girls clothing. When this fails to get an immediate reaction, she tries to talk to Ranma, but is distracted by various things- can anyone tell me exactly what she would have tried to tell Ranma if she had gotten her talk?

*Similarly, how would Ranma react after the talk? I get that it's basically about how she feels lonely, unappreciated, etc, but would Ranma feel guilty at his neglect of her if she brought it to his attention?

*If Shampoo and Ranma had managed to stay a team in the hotsprings race where the prize was trip to any set of springs in the world, would they have been able to win?

*If they could and did win, how might Shampoo take advantage of the fact that they'll basically be alone in China for a week or so while they trek to Jusenkyo to get a cure and then return to the airport?

*A scenario that recently came to me involves Akane not going to Yumogi Valley during the Hiryu Shoten Ha arc. Can anyone suggest why she might have stayed at home- or, alternatively, started there, but turned back along the way?

*With Akane not there, how likely is it that Ryoga wouldn't have shown up to help Ranma learn the Hiryu Shoten Ha? Also, when they returned, how would Soun react to the news that, as far as can be determined, Ranma is going to be weak forever?

*Flowing on from the above, I was imagining said scenario 'concluding' with Ukyo stealing the chart from Happosai and then offering it to Ranma and Genma. Would they be grateful for this? If yes, how much so?

*Another scenario involves Nabiki accepting Ranma's "date", which eventually leads to her being confronted privately by Ukyo. Ukyo attempts to 'purchase' Nabiki's engagement to Ranma from her through a combination of several things: offering her some money, pointing out that Soun & Genma will undoubtedly ignore the matter if she does sell, that Akane won't buy Ranma back, especially if she hears that Ranma actually asked Nabiki on a date, and finally making some implicit threats. Is this in character for Ukyo? And would Nabiki actually sell?

*If Kodachi had come back to see Ranma that first night and discovered he'd been left on the roof, what might have happened? I figure she would have brought Ranma to the Kuno estate to sleep (and only that; fanon to the contrary, Kodachi actually seems quite naive sexually), but what might have happened from there?

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll post more when/if I think of any. Any and all answers appreciated and greatly valued.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Various questions for future fanfics

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:41 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:*If Kodachi had come back to see Ranma that first night and discovered he'd been left on the roof, what might have happened? I figure she would have brought Ranma to the Kuno estate to sleep (and only that; fanon to the contrary, Kodachi actually seems quite naive sexually), but what might have happened from there?

This is probably the most fruitful question to work on. If I were Kodachi, and relatively sane, I'd bring back a pillow and a comforter, tuck Ranma in, and kiss him on the forehead.

The contrast between that, and what would happen when Akane found Ranma sleeping under a strange comforter, would haunt all the rest of the series.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:48 am

Many thanks for that suggestion; I like that idea and I'll use it. Does anyone have any input on the other questions?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Kilich » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:31 am

*A scenario that recently came to me involves Akane not going to Yumogi Valley during the Hiryu Shoten Ha arc. Can anyone suggest why she might have stayed at home- or, alternatively, started there, but turned back along the way?

*With Akane not there, how likely is it that Ryoga wouldn't have shown up to help Ranma learn the Hiryu Shoten Ha? Also, when they returned, how would Soun react to the news that, as far as can be determined, Ranma is going to be weak forever?

*Flowing on from the above, I was imagining said scenario 'concluding' with Ukyo stealing the chart from Happosai and then offering it to Ranma and Genma. Would they be grateful for this? If yes, how much so?

I can see it like this:

Ryouga would meet Akane before she left the town and offered to guide her. Of course they got lost and some time later ended back at Tendos.

Back in the town, Mousse could help with Hiryu Shoten Ha if Ryouga got lost already
If Ukyo stole it from Happosai and gave it to Genma, he would give nothing in return and 'Kill Genma!' mood will be back.

About Soun's reaction, I think he'll might agree to continue the engagement, unless Genma chooses to make Ryouga his heir and transfer it to him.
Kilich
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 pm

New question that came to me recently; is there any way that Ranma could have managed to taste Ukyo's special sauce without spilling it? And how would that have developed when, 10 years later, Ukyo finally unveiled it to Ranma- and reminded him about his promise to marry her (well, take care of her for the rest of her life anyway)?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Well spilling the sauce and replacing it with something that becomes nasty makes an additional comment about Ranma's cooking skills or lack there of back then.

Would he be able to properly seal the jar. If he did it would be fine if he doesn't then the sauce could end up more toxic than Akane's cooking. It only takes a bit of bacteria to spoil something like that.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:33 pm

Actually, the sauce turning out so lousy is more or less blamed on the fact Ranma wasn't paying attention -or even saw- the recipe that Ukyo used, so he was making it up as he went along whilst panic-stricken and unaware of what the hell was in the sauce to begin with. You mix up any old junk, leave it to ferment for 10 years, and world-class chef or not, you're gonna have something putrid on your hands.

True, but the biggest problem, like I mentioned, is that he tipped the jar over and spilled everything, then tried to make a replacement batch when he didn't have the faintest clue what he was doing.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:45 pm

What I mean is if he does not spill the sauce the seal is the most important thing in that entire preparation process as it would always have been in real life. It could dry out or he could get contaminants that would ruin the sauce into the mix. So you could really take it any number of ways.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:29 am

True enough, and I thank you for pointing that out. Still, it doesn't really answer my original questions: how could Ranma have opened the jar in the first place without spilling anything? And what would most likely have happened if Ukyo's sauce hadn't been spoiled, considering the promise Ranma made to her was he'd "take care of her forever and ever if it tastes good"?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:54 pm

He could avoid spilling it by being more careful in opening it. And if he was more careful he could have seen how it went back on. IF he got it right would make a difference to how the sauce would turn out.

Without deciding how the sauce turns out the rest is an unknown.

A promise to take care of someone isn't the same as a promise to marry. Marriage is just one convenient way to make it easier on both parties.

I think there was a similar promise in Love Hina Again between Keitaro and Konoko.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research