Painting With Sentences

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Painting With Sentences

Postby Ariolander » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:12 am

Well part of the whole "show, don't tell" my old English Highschool teacher he ran his entire class through. He literally hammered many of these different types of sentences into us with these "brush strokes" as a major part of the semester's lesson plan and writing tips on colored construction paper adorning his wall.

His class really helped me while I can't share the year's worth of work he put us through he did give me a powerpoint that he used and I decided to see what I could do in adapting it to the internets.

There are 5 major parts of the powerpoint. Its not all of his "pallet" but it is most of what we went through that year:
- Participles
- Absolutes
- Appositives
- Ajectives Out of Order
- Action Verbs

Tell me what you think:
http://www.atfics.com/resources/painting-with-sentences
Last edited by Ariolander on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ariolander - Neko (Mimi) Mode
Anime, Manga,
And Video Games, Haiku
Of My Pastimes
Ariolander
Senshi Candidate

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:40 am

I greatly appreciated the writing tips.

But you cannot save the presentation, and if you print it to a pdf file, you lose the ability to select the boxes to verify your answers. So the only way to view it is on line.

Is there any way you could put your original (I assume) powerpoint on rapidshare, or megauploads so people could save it and use it off line?
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Ariolander » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:07 am

All the credit has to go to my awesome Highschool English teacher Mr. Turner. That man single handily improved many aspects of my writing. I still am not much of a creative writer but the varying sentence types are useful for spicing up essays, analysis, and internet posts -_-''

Didn't think anyone would actually want the full presentation. Actually made the whole presentation to help with my constructive criticism (read: flaming) of FF.net authors. I will see about posting the full .ppt but before I do that I wanna clean the whole thing up a bit and pay that teacher a visit to see what else I missed.

For now though I will see about making the answer sheets a separate slide that should work for now.

Edit:
Answers have been separated onto a separate slide so it now should be easier to get answers other than highlighting.
Anime, Manga,
And Video Games, Haiku
Of My Pastimes
Ariolander
Senshi Candidate

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:46 am

Impressive.

I like the use of visual aids and coloring the text to highlight changes.

Nice walk-through on the nuts and bolts of sentence detailing.

I really like how you emphasize that the text in the story is trying to convey something and how you use the painting/image as an analogy.

The little exercises are good too.

The only thing I can see to add is a couple "putting it all together" slides.

Something where you compare a tell paragraph and a show paragraph.

Though then you have to go into how much detailing a group of sentences require.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Cheb » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:07 am

It wasn't working perfectly in Linux, the yellow boxes sometimes overlapping the text. But it was very educating and useful none the less. Thank you :) [says Cheb who never had a formal education in English and whose most hated discipline in school was his native language, due to said discipline being terminally boring]

Reminded me again of the "ing participles" (and you have a typo, "partiCPle"), my eternal woe. The darn things cannot exist in the Russian language-space, so they must be mutated into something else, usually quite inelegant.

But now, when I am reminded of them, I can try to use them when I translate to English :roll:
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Ariolander » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:37 am

Hmmm I want to do more guides like this but should I bother doing it in slideshow form again or would you know a regular written guide do?

I kinda enjoyed making it as a slideshow but I don't know if it hurts or helps what I am trying to do...
Anime, Manga,
And Video Games, Haiku
Of My Pastimes
Ariolander
Senshi Candidate

Return to Fic Research