Pool names \ how to make up pool names

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Pool names \ how to make up pool names

Postby jasonjkay » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:56 am

How are the curesd pools named, as in why nannichuan? Are the random or do the names actually mean something. I was wondering because I need a pool of drowned fairy and I dont know what to call it.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Tovath » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Yes the names mean something; they are in Chinesse, I belive.
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Yeah, they're in Chinese. I studied Chinese in high school for a bit and checked some of the names with my teacher to compare against the Viz translations.

Basically the 'nichuan' bit means 'Spring of Drowned...' To make up the spring name proper you insert the Chinese word for what you want drowned in front of it. For example (disregaring tonal marks) mao means cat in Chinese for Maonichuan becomes the Spring of Drowned Cat.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby P.H. Wise » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:44 pm

Of course, you should never, ever hesitate to make a cheap joke at the expense of a spring's name. "Is it funny?" is always, always more important than "is it accurate?" :D
Hige sceal þe heardra || heorte þe cenre,
mod sceal þe mare || þe ure mægen lytlað.
P.H. Wise
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:56 pm

Maybe if someone could figure out how to say dragonfly girl with a bad attitude in Chinese that could work.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:56 am

P.H. Wise wrote:Of course, you should never, ever hesitate to make a cheap joke at the expense of a spring's name. "Is it funny?" is always, always more important than "is it accurate?" :D

I wholeheartedly agree. I cracked up when I first read the tragic tale of Nissanichuan, spring of drowned SUV.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Fic Research