Real world locations in anime

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Real world locations in anime

Postby Neko- » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Suzimiya Haruhi

Decided to post this up as a result of this thread on UseNet :)

I recall there is something similar out for Sailor Moon aswell, but Ican't recall where I saw it, nor if it's around anymore...

As a sidenote, that first site also hosts a self-help guide: How to stop loving an anime character. Good for a chuckle :)
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Azubu-Juuban in Minato ward is a real place. How accurate the anime is to the local geography I don't know though.

As for the Haruhi example, Kyoto Animation is getting quite a reputation for this. The Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid DVDs have mini documentaries about the teams they sent to Hong Kong and Nanking to make the scenes in those cities accurate. There's also a shrine in Saitama that has been overwhelmed by Lucky Star fans after they used it as the model for the Hiiragi Shrine in Lucky Star.

I've also seen photo comparisons similar to the Haruhi one for Clannad and Kanon.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:48 am

Knight of L-sama wrote:Azubu-Juuban in Minato ward is a real place. How accurate the anime is to the local geography I don't know though.

As for the Haruhi example, Kyoto Animation is getting quite a reputation for this. The Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid DVDs have mini documentaries about the teams they sent to Hong Kong and Nanking to make the scenes in those cities accurate. There's also a shrine in Saitama that has been overwhelmed by Lucky Star fans after they used it as the model for the Hiiragi Shrine in Lucky Star.

I've also seen photo comparisons similar to the Haruhi one for Clannad and Kanon.

This site has the places in the Sailor moon anime, and their real world counter parts:http://www.geocities.com/lunararchivist/x-files/x-file002/x-file002.html
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:24 pm

It's amazing how many places are really there. I just zoomed in this map to a point where the AzabuJûban rail stop and the Nerima one are both visible. Nerima is at the top of the map near the blue marker. I used it as the refference point in the map search because I knew how to spell it properly. Jûban is at the bottom near the right corner.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:30 am

Curiosity can be weird. I was having trouble settling in to sleep because I had a nagging suspicion about the subways in Tokyo from looking at the map I posted earlier. I was wondering how many lines you'd need to use to get from Jûban to Nerima. So I went here http://www.tokyometro.jp/rosen/rosenzu/ ... en_eng.pdf And it turns out that even though you might have to make a transfer they are both on the Oedo line. Not sure which is more interesting that they are on the same line or that Jûban has only one stop between it and Daimon. Something makes me suspect the author for Sailor Moon had some bad experiences on the Oedo line at some point in time.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:00 pm

If I ever make it to Tokyo... I'm definitly having subway fun and atleast getting off at Nerima and Juuban stations :D
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga