Strained Harmony Fanart

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Strained Harmony Fanart

Postby Sunshine Temple » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:47 am

Applying for a job by Wes Pickelsimer aka Borg Rabbit.
Here
He just drew it and sent it over out of the blue. Very nice thing to do.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Wolfhunter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:59 am

Wow... I find it kinda funny how a simple pair of glasses and a slight shift can make even Ranma look mousy.
Ranma rolled over so that she was back to sitting next to, and clinging to, Setsuna, "Now Puu... are you going to be a good girl and tell me what I want? Or will I have to punish you in the name of Love and Justice."
"You did not just say that," Setsuna groaned.
- The Return - J.Temple
Wolfhunter
Senshi Candidate

Postby toa Lhikan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:38 am

Setsuna kind of looks boxy, but besides that it looks great.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." -God... maybe.

Good and evil are a lot alike the counsel wars. Ware free will is like the 360 in that ever one has it, Good is like Wii because ever one wants to have, or be it, and evil is like the PS3 because they try to get every one to join them but rely their just trying to them selves justify it to them selves by trying to get you.
toa Lhikan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:41 am

Those are some _big_ glasses.....
And Setsuna looks a bit....mannish with the the thickness of her neck and face....
But all in all, a nice effort.
I find Ranma's dress to be quite well done.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Kadunta » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:25 am

Unrequested fanart does tend to be a pleasant surprise.
What I like best in this pic is Ranma's head. The eye might be a bit too wide from this angle, and I'd maybe let the pigtail flow down rather than just stick up like that (but that's just my own preference, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was like borgrabbit drew in the manga as well).
As for where to improve, these are the biggest flaws I noticed and likely to be reproduced in future drawings lest attention is paid to them. The proportions are a bit off; the distance between collarbone and pelvis is too long and the legs too short (at least by anime/manga standards). I'd say part of Setsuna's mannishness is also due to the lack of waist/butt and wide shoulders. Setsuna's clothes and left arm also have some perspective errors... or however that is supposed to be said.
"Nothing desiccates a mind so much as its repugnance to conceive obscure ideas."
-- E.M.Cioran, "All Gall Is Divided", translation by Richard Howard
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:52 am

Very nice rendition of Ranma. But Setsuna lacks the usual sensuality. She really looks like a crossdresser..
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Tuisto » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Neat!
Ranma looks really good, glasses really do change the overall look.
But Setsuna looks mannish... maybe she just seems chestier in the anime...
Obfirmo absentis sententia... Imperium mens...
Tuisto
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Raneko » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:19 am

Link, for the fic please?
Raneko
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby nodregah » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:31 am

"You will know your greatest enemy when you look in the mirror."
nodregah
Senshi Cadet

Postby crystlshake » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:02 am

Bringing the hair to fall straight down from behind the ear would help improve the feminine look for the face. It may be enough to not require a change to the shoulders by giving her more neck (which will give a more femanine impression). Giving better definition to Sestuna's calves would fix the legs and also give her a more femanine look overall. The current boxier look on the legs, especially toward the ankle is more masculine in appearance. The low level of chest definition for her should be fine though putting some space between the collar bone lines would help reduce the 'muscular chest' look that they bring up currently.
Ranma is spot on though for the 'mousy' look and has overall good posture and proportions. The shading done on the characters' hair and Ranma's dress is especially nice. The stark white with hard black fine lines that make up the door frame dont mesh too well with the rest of the picture but the color contrast is excelent. Setsuna's suit (the lavendar part) looks like it missed the charcoal shading treatment as well. Overall its presentation is good and hits the scene it was modeled after well and only needs a few minor touch ups.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Interview reviews

Postby borgrabbit » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:48 pm

I understand the problems with Setsuna's proportions. Actually, I used a 'real world' poser doll to draw from. As for the overall roughness of the sketch, I didn't dedicate much time to it, I'm lazy and went to work on another project, later. I just decided to join the forum primarily to respond to questions/comments regarding my artwork. Constructive comments have been noted and are appreciated.
Thanks,
Wes
Old fart.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe. Today's cliche is next century's classic.
borgrabbit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fan Art