Ranma/Negima crossover idea

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Ranma/Negima crossover idea

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:40 pm

There aren't many Ranma/Negima crossovers and only one that takes place in the Magical World as far as I know (Dreamingfoxes' 'Ranma's White Wings').

I think that the Magical World is a very interesting fantasy setting and really underused.

This would take place after Jusenkyo but before Nerima. Right after Jusenkyo Ranma and Genma are looking for a cure while they are trekking through China on their way to the coast. In one small village they ask about curses but when they see that some people give evasive answers and are fidgeting a lot the two realize that something's not right.

They leave the village but use their skills to sneak around and listen into the inhabitants' conversations. And they learn quite a lot. Apparently magic is more far spread than they had imagined and there is even a whole Magical World in another dimension.

Hearing about this Genma decides that Nerima can wait and they might have a real chance at getting a cure in the Magical World. They learn about the portals and where they might find one.

They discreetly follow a rather inattentive mage after they hear that he'll be travelling to the nearest portal soon. They foolow him to the portal and are surprised when the whole area is blanketed by the fog. That doesn't matter to them since their senses allow them to follow the mage anyway.

Once the portal opens they simply walk in and are astonished by what they see.

From here on the fic can go different ways. I could have Shampoo track them and follow them to the Magical World or not.

This will take place at the same time Negi and the Mahora girls and after a lot of adventures Ranma will join them on their quest.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Ranma/Negima crossover idea

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Plausible set up but what kinds of interractions or changes are you expecting? I mean this is a Pre-Nerima Ranma and this is going to alter the character. Same with Shampoo if she follows and how do you expect their interactions with the Negima cast to go? Is this "Magical World" just the main world for Negima or one of the ones they also visit? Or a third crossover that both will run into each other in?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:05 pm

It's the Magical World Negima and students visits, where Fate attacks them. Ranma and Genma would maybe meet them fro time to time, but would mainly do their own thing. Since the Magical world is pretty much a classical RPG setting, Genma would probably try to find some treasure or become a bounty hunter. And I'm sure the both of them would do anything to learn new techniques from Rakan and other masters. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Genma completely forgot about the pact with Soun.

And since the portals are destroyed by Fate they wouldn't get out of for quite some time.

There could also be a running gag (but pretty cliché) of Ryoga appearing from time to time.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:19 pm

If you did that (and I'm unfamiliar with that particular version of Negima as I've got Negima?! which is much lighter hearted) I'd like to see Ryoga showing up. I think it would add some fun to it. One of the Negima girls could even adopt P-chan and Asuna could dress him up like a Chupacabra (I don't know if that gag is in the original Negima timeline or not).
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I could even see it as entertaining even without brining in the Negima! cast or events and not having them trapped there, but simply having hyjinx and advantures in the magical world before returning to the regular world and Nerima a bit later than cannon, producing different events in Nerima related to Ranma's presence. For instance Akane might still be having issues with the morning battles, or something might have happened regarding them during that time. He'd probably miss the fight with Kodachi. And Kuno might end up being right about Ranma being a 'foul sorcerer' by the time he arrives. :wink: Ranma's initial arrival in Nerima he is probably still on the border between potential to start going ki use or magick use to boost his martial arts, and the magic world could either cause him to go the magic boosting route instead, or cause him to find out more about ki, or even try going the Kanaka route instead if he can find out lore about that and probably a teacher needed (which is probably quite rare, and what Ranma could find likely not so competent, as if I remember right it is implied that the only real master of Kanaka techniques left in both worlds is Takahata-sensei, but Ranma could still probably find a non-master who can use the basics and supply him with the pertinent lore and initial training, and it is a rare and difficult art to begin with). Having the Tendo reactions to Ranma either using more advanced ki arts like ki blasts and higher level shundo and powerful battle auras, and possibly some basic stuff derived from Shinmei-ryu and ninjutsu or using kanka or magic techniques when he first arrives, not to mention other martial artist reactions, and the reactions of the Amazons would be a sufficient plot twist to make an AU Ranmaverse crossover/divergence like that nice.

Just traveling in the magic world when the portals are being destroyed though... yeah, I could see Genma going the treasure hunter route, and taking Ranma along with him. The only problem is that Genma isn't as great with traps as he is with thieving, especially in comparison to the Library Exploration Club crew, who are used to high level and often magical traps (disguised as mundane ones). This could be a source of conflict and difficulty for them early on and would add to the story, especially if Ranma quickly outstrips Genma at dealing with traps and becomes a better treasure hunter. :mrgreen: Genma would also have trouble if he tried to sell Ranma off or racked up debts in the magic world, given the way slavery operates there, and likely would sell Ranma into temporary slavery pretty quickly, likely a short temporary one worth the cost of a meal or something, only for while Ranma is enslaved Genma to get himself stuck in a bigger contract he'd have to work off in the arenas as a gladiator, and Genma would likely have trouble dealing with the level of fighters past a certain point, as while powerful for the Ranmaverse, he isn't that big in the Negimaverse, which has a steeper power grade and a lot of smart magic user fighters who won't be as easily fooled by Genma's tricks, which would slow him down in earning his freedom, since he can't go to the biggest fights unless he trained a lot and got a lot better, and might teach him a bit of extra humility. I can also see repeated escape attempts resulting in getting zapped with punishment orbs for Genma. Ranma on the other hand would probably just work at a restaurant for a couple days to pay things off, then get an actual job there while saving up money to pay for a cure for his Jyuusenkyo curse and waiting for Genma to be able to pay off his own debts in the arenas, and convincing passing fighters and gladiators and bounty hunters and such to help his training. After Genma learns his lessons about being enslaved and is free again, that is when they'd turn into treasure hunters for a while, likely until they get acquainted with the Negima gang. They'd probably return to the old world by the time the current Negima arc is finished in their story, and then go to Nerima with the skills they gained in the magic world, probably later in the year or a year after their cannon arrival, unless Genma makes some deal in the magic world to replace the Tendo deal during the time he might think they are stuck there.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

I would also be an interesting change from the usual post manga crossovers where Ranma is much too powerful. I'd say that here he'd be the underdog. I can't imagine Ranma from the beginning win against people like Eva, Chachamaru, Ku-Fei, Kaede, Mana,...

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 am

I don't think Shampoo really needs to be involved, but Ryoga could easily pop up at the gate at the same time Ranma and Genma transported getting transported with them.

It's an interesting idea.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Dumbledork wrote:I would also be an interesting change from the usual post manga crossovers where Ranma is much too powerful. I'd say that here he'd be the underdog. I can't imagine Ranma from the beginning win against people like Eva, Chachamaru, Ku-Fei, Kaede, Mana,...

Are you kidding? Pre-series Ranma wouldn't even be able to handle Negi much less the more experienced fighters; pitting him against Eva -- even with her curse active and her magic sealed -- would be a lot like pitting him against Cologne. Saotome has nothing in the way of ki attacks at this point, not even the Chestnut Fist, while Negi has enough magical artillery that he might be able to match Herb in sheer destructive power and he has a natural affinity for the martial arts that far outstrips Ranma's own (he picked up Bāguàzhǎng from Ku-Fei over a weekend if memory serves). Genma might fare better but if the Saotomes run into anyone like those bounty hunters Negi tested out his Dark Magic on then they're screwed six ways from Sunday.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:51 pm

Ranma has an impressive learning curve too. He managed to discover the final step to the Hiryuu Shouten Ha without being shown and could use the Umi Senken after only witnessing it once.

Here's an idea that could be funny. Ranma's asking Rakan for some training, but the legendary martial artist only agrees if Ranma pays him a very hefty sum. Ranma doesn't have the money but quickly discovers that Rakan is a real pervert. Cue 'Ranko' trying to get Rakan to train her.

Anyone noticed that every legendary martial arts master is a pervert? For example Kame Sennin, Happosai, Jiraya, Rakan, Ma Kensei,...

Where does that come from?

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Sexual Frustrating. They all were practicing their art trying to become the best the entire time they were attractive and desirable. By the time they started looking for girls they were already considered freaks and the best girls had already gotten together with other people leaving them with tons of physical skills but lonely.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:41 am

That can't be right. I know for sure that Jiraiya and Happosai were perverts from youth. Jiraiya was even a pervert at an exceptionally young age. I'm not sure about Rakan, as we haven't seen that much of his backstory, or at least, not much of his youth, but given his character, I'd actually suspect he was a real player in his younger years. Ma Kensai was also shown to have lots of girls after him in his youth, in his case the perversion is more likely that he isn't getting as much as he used to as a handsome young man, or he cheated so much he started getting in trouble with his wife and ran off to escape her wrath and his responsibilities towards the Phoenix martial arts group. Part of it is also his way of trying to forge closer bonds with his pupil, by encouraging Kenichi to join him in his peeping escapades and motivating Kenichi in his training with ecchi pictures of Miu to bribe him with. :wink:
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Ideas