different ideas for multi-crossovers.

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: different ideas for multi-crossovers.

Postby Wyrd » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:23 pm

I've already seen a Ranma x Naruto fic where tests of Ranma's blood show that he has a precursor version of the sharingan. The way that this author handled it was that Ranma seems to have an unnatural, or at least extremely exceptional, ability to memorize exactly what he sees in a fight, and then study it in his memory until he figures it out. He then has to put himself through the physical training needed to actually use those techniques. In many ways, the Sharingan does the same. It did not let Sasuke copy Lee's moves, but it made it much easier for him to train over the month between the preliminary fights and the main fights to learn a lesser version of them because he had a perfect memory of Lee's movements that he could continuosly compare to his own actions to spot the flaws in his training.

Where the Sharingan rules is in copying jutsu, because for most basic jutsu you are using the exact same energies and muscles arranged in different patterns. Once you have those patterns memorized, and already have the movements committed to muscle memory through the seal drills shown as part of their training, it becomes really easy to add a large number of jutsu to your repertoire. There are plenty of techniques it is useless in copying, though, such as the rasengan, because that is using chakra in a completely different manner than he has been trained, so he would have to go through the entire training procedure to figure it out, just as Naruto did. He would have the advantage of not needing it shown to him more than once, but that would be the limit of that advantage.

A version of Ranma born and raised in this world, with an Uchiha mother and Saotome father, could decide that reliance on the sharingan is one of the greatest weaknesses of his clan. He travels with Genma, learning as many different forms of Taijutsu as he can while mastering the basics of ninjutsu so that he is not restricted to either. To keep certain aspects of Ranma's character intact, I would suggest him either having a mental block regarding genjutsu, or Genma(who never mastered it himself and has horrible memories of Happosai's usage of it) keeps condemning the path as weak, keeping him from being anywhere near as skilled in that area.

Since it is guilt that causes the mangekyo, as shown by (technically a spoiler)
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Sasuke managing it without killing Naruto
, Ranma could activate it over any of a number of incidents, such as his feelings of guilt over what happens to Ryouga, despair at Jusenkyo before he learns that he can change back, guilt over hiding from his mother out of fear that he would not live up to her standards, etc. It requires very intense emotion, usually coupled with intent to kill, either on the part of the wielder or on someone else, but there are plenty of canon events from the Ranma verse that could qualify as being emotionally intense and life threatening enough to activate it. It could even happen before the start of the story, when Ranma feels like he abandoned Ukyo or Ryouga, especially if you just don't want to write that scene. The great thing about flashbacks is that you can make them relatively vague references.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:00 pm

So I should STFU and stop suggestions that you appear to be trying to make a new sauske with Ranma's abilities instead of using Ranma? I'll still check back but I don't see how pointing that out is detrimental.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:03 pm

coliuswest wrote:oh by the way spork if ya ain't got nothing nice or helpfull to say then please don't say anything

Pointing out flaws in your premise is helpful. I agree that the tone of Spokavriel's posts is not always the way I would have something said, yet she* usually has a valid point to make.

*Since I know so few of the actual genders of the posters on this site, I've decided to start going by the apparent gender of their avatar, where I can determine such.

How you are approaching the story makes a big difference to how believable it is and how much you are changing the character. You say a 'higher power' will put him in the Naruto-verse. As a result, either he will not be an Uchiha but be mistaken for one(since he comes from another universe) or as happened in a fic I mentioned to Spokavriel a couple of weeks ago, it could be that this higher power creates a backstory for him so that he seems to be a natural part of that world to its inhabitants. He might be matched with the Uchihas because their ability to memorize the moves of others is so close to his own abilities in that area. There is a specific word, I forget what it is, but it is a version of eidetic memory where instead of remembering everything you read, you have perfect recollection of body language and movement of those around you. Ranma seems to have this. The higher power mentioned could give him the sharingan simply because as a member of the Uchiha clan he should have access to it, but I agree that Ranma would be unwilling to pursue the path to gaining the higher levels of it voluntarily.

At least, not the path that Itachi used and told Sasuke was the only path. Ranma could get the mangekyo Sharingan by failing to protect someone he cared about enough and fought hard enough to save. If the abilities bleed over between the three realities and you start the story at an earlier point in Ranma canon, then the fight against Saffron and apparently losing Akane might be enough to activate it. Sharingan is not a game killer in the Naruto verse because there are so many other equally powerful abilities floating around. Giving it to him in the Ranma-verse during canon events would be a game killer if he got access to more than the memorization aspects of it, which he effectively already has.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:56 am

... Board just ate half my comment. You're in for it now, Colius, I was polite the first time around but I'm liable to be a lot more irritable when I'm re-saying everything at 8 AM.

First of all: We do not have a 'pimp my fics' forum. We do not want a 'pimp my fics' forum.

You have an idea that you want to advertise or get help refining, you type it up in some degree of detail before posting to the Ideas subforum - my words to you here should be considered the bar for the first post length. If you can't muster the give-a-fuck to even describe your idea, then you have no place expecting anyone else to care.

You honestly can't think up more than a sentence of description? Toss it into the Crossover Idea Twists thread in Miscellaneous, it's not worth its own thread.

You have a fic, actually written, that you want people to look at? First of all, actually say so, and provide links or the text of the story. I've done this for you by editing your early posts, in the future, do it for yourself. Second, post it in the appropriate forum - that being Fic C&C.

Either way, it doesn't belong in Fic Research. I'll be moving it to Fic C&C upon recieving confirmation from the three of you that you've recieved this message.

So in summary, you opened this whole thing up by posting in the wrong subforum. To say 'it's a shame there aren't many good Ranma multicrossovers, but I've got a great one!' without even bothering to provide the fic for judgement. And you then proceeded to do it by double-posting, within two minutes of yourself.

And bear in mind, I let the thread roll for half a month after this. I let your rule violations slide. Never let it be said that I, the Lord Your Mod, am not a forgiving Mod. In a moment, we'll get on to why the gravy train stopped for you.

Second, more minor. This isn't actually a rules violation, just a personal irritant: Try capitalization. And grammar. It makes your posts look much better thought out when you're not so lazy as to spare the millisecond or so it takes to hit the Shift key.

Third, and the reason I am actually modstomping you at 8 AM in the morning.

You do not open up a thread calling for C&C and evaluation and then tell people who're less than prostrating before your genius to shut it.

Let me be clear. If you think someone's being abusive, you PM me, with appropriate links (ideally to the post in question, but if you can't figure out how to link posts I'll accept a link to the thread), and if rule violations are occurring, I'll shut them up.

However, while I have my issues with Spok, he was not abusive. Perhaps not the soul of politeness, but he raised legitimate points in a socially-acceptable manner. That's enough.

You see, the 'C&C' part of this forum? It means comments and criticism, not candy and compliments. You want to post here? Then you're going to have to suck it up when people tell you the problems they see with it. You either disprove them, or you fix the problem - and fixing the problem comes first, because whether or not you've disproved them, that's still the way a person will react to seeing it, which means there's a problem in communicating your idea at the very least. This isn't a forum for fellating authors for drizzling their words off a keyboard. This is a forum for improving our fics - and that means you write, the readers come in and tell you what strikes their mind, good and bad, and what they think needs improvement or doesn't work right. And you listen.

Don't like that? Get out of my store.

Consider yourself to have received your first official warning.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:16 am

I have to apologize for my tone. In my defense I do have a minor explanation. But it isn't a valid excuse. I was being less diplomatic than usual because I was in my third consecutive day of an unrelenting mild headache. It was hard to think strait so I didn't put much thought in my responses. For that I apologize. Sorry about not waiting until I could be more civil.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:40 am

I was unaware that anything had been written for this story idea at all, and thought he was trying to research the two canons and how they could work together. While it had become clear that his idea was more firmly established in his own head than I had previously thought, it still seemed a reasonable, if misplaced, discussion of one of my favorite animes, Robotech. If he had already written something, he should have linked it so we could see what he was talking about. Even if his goal was to rewrite everything he had written, getting outside input this time around, it would have been nice for him to say, 'this is what I've tried so far,' even if accompanied by the caveat, 'very little of this story may survive the rewrite,' as I have seen others do.

That said, I had been considering dropping out of the conversation just because of the lack of spell checking and proper grammar in coliuswest's posts making them, at best, unpleasant to read.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:34 am

Truthfully, I didn't know there was a fic either. I was just rereading the initial posts and realized it sounded like he was actually writing it, I saw his FFNet account link (third from the left under his picture), and poked it to see, finding the fic.

Well, if anyone does plan to continue the conversation, the thread has now been moved to Fic C&C.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Previous

Return to Stories and C&C