What you wish for chapter 2

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: What you wish for chapter 2

Postby frice2000 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:17 am

heal and stalked out

Heel not heal.

Interesting competition this is going to be. I'm surprised Mara is allowing Akane to be that rebellious as I think she would've already laid into her quite brutally about what crossing her is going to be like, but maybe that's coming later. All this concern about Mara and Urd's suitability as teachers but none on the students themselves? Akane is likely to be much worse then Ranma in my opinion when it comes to taking criticism and learning the new skills while Ranma is an arrogant ass he's at least used to learning new things from others and will take things better in my mind. Akane on the other hand struggles to even follow a basic cookbook. I'm amazed shes shown as getting passing grades in school if shes that bad at following directions.

The only thing I'd really change in this exchange is Akane's demonic aura being present and some plants dying, crows falling dead from the sky, O Fortuna starting up in the background, or something along those lines when she exhibited anger since you already described her aura being visible previously.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Urd tsked repeatedly, watching her unwanted student pull himself from the wall. Later she would make him fix it as a learning experience. She would have stepped in if the new Demon had done anything that would have been permanent, but why get involved in a minor squabble? Honestly she didn’t know how to feel about that whole messed up relationship. Being the child of a God and Demon, she was unsure on whether or not she wanted to help or hinder the two.

“It seems like she’s become rather violent.” Urd commented.

“Nah.” Ranma brushed some wood chunks from his hair. “That’s pretty normal actually.”

“Well, back to work.” She pointed at the undamaged part of the wall.

“After you explain what this humming is supposed to do and why it’s easier with it?” The boy asked.

“I suppose.” She would be a bad teacher if she didn’t at least get him to understand the underlying workings of reality. “Bell would explain it prettier, but everything is connected by music. Even your connection to Yggdrasil has a melody to it. When you’re in tune with that, you’re better connected to reality. Over time it’ll become natural to find that rhythm whenever you want to do something.”

“That sounds so girly.” Ranma commented and she had the urge to hit him over the head.

“Don’t be stupid, the most powerful spells all require singing and many of the best singers in existence are men.” She explained quickly, imagining Troubadour and his beautiful singing, before hastily destroying that thought. “When you get the connection you’ll understand why songs are so powerful.”

“Whatever.” He rolled his eyes and went back to making the gate.

‘Girly huh?’ She smiled. “I’ll be right back.” Urd also wanted to check on what the Demons were doing. She could trust that Mara wouldn’t do anything too terrible considering Hild had been involved, but there was too much leeway in this entire thing for her taste.

X x x x x x

‘What’s she up to?’ Ranma paused in creating the diagram to watch Urd exit the dojo. Shrugging, he started to hum to himself since it really was easier while doing it. Normally he’d think it would be a distraction but it had the opposite effect. ‘Great, I get to do magic, maybe really cool stuff, but I have to sing karaoke to do it.’ He groaned.

This whole thing was helpful in keeping his mind off becoming a God. Right now he was just working with the assumption that he had his face tattooed, and could now do magic. That was the most he wanted to think about right now.

Hearing someone step into the dojo, he looked just in time to meet a face full of water. His concentration shot, the halfway finished designed vanished from the wall. “What did you do that for?” She said out of reflex whenever someone splashed her with cold water.

“You said singing was girly, so there you go.” Urd answered with an attempt at an innocent smile.

“That didn’t mean I wanted you to soak me.” She grumbled, wringing her pigtail out of water, and preparing to remove her shirt to do the same when she realized something. “Hey, you’re a Goddess, you can cure me of the curse.”

“Jusenkyo? Sorry can’t.” Urd answered with a shrug.

“But Mara said that she could no problem.” She whined.

“She can, Jusenkyo is Demon magic, which means a Demon is required to remove it.”

“What use are you then?” She snapped angrily, storming past Urd to go get changed out of her God clothing. The last person she would go asking for help was Mara. She was better off cursed.

“Hey wait, you still haven’t made the circle.” Urd tried to stop her.

“So what? I’ve been through too much crap today and you splashing me is just the icing on the cake. Unless you can do the one thing that I asked for that started this whole mess. I am going into the house, I am going to get some food, and then I am going to go to bed. Tomorrow I’ll be waking up to go to school, and after that I don’t know but it’s not going to be dealing with you people.” She finished, glaring at Urd, daring the Goddess to speak. “Good.” She snorted.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:01 am

“No Pop, I don’t care that Akane is getting magic lessons from Mara.” Ranma answered her father as she went to their shared room.

“Don’t you care what has befallen your fiancée?” Genma whined, following on her heels.

“Right now? No.” She entered into the room and came to a stop when she saw that Kagami was sitting against the far wall, and staring forward blankly. ‘I forgot about her.’ She gulped. Of course it sucked for Ranma and Akane, but for the cat girl it was much worse. Kagami’s entire reason for existence was just a plot by Mara.

“Oh my son, so uncaring for his true love!” Genma cried out dramatically.

“Shut up you stupid panda.” Ranma lashed out backwards with a kick that drove the wind out of Genma. “Leave me alone or I’m going to zap you with my God powers!” She warned while wiggling her fingers towards Genma, her bluff barely sounding legitimate.

“Uh--.” Genma looked at her nervously. “We’ll talk tomorrow.” He quickly said and walked away as if it had always been his intention.

Dropping down on her futon, she didn’t know what to do with the catgirl sitting in her room. Obviously she couldn’t just go to sleep and she wasn’t very good at talking to people. Really, what was she supposed to say? It wasn’t like this situation had a ‘talk to your copy’ instruction book.

“If it’s not too much trouble.” Kagami spoke first, shifting into a kneeling position, and bowing her head. “Please let me stay here for the night and I will live tomorrow morning.”

“Leave to where?” Ranma asked, undoing the clasps holding her shirt closed, and slipped it off. Underneath was a tank top like she usually wore but it was some perfectly white fabric. Folding it neatly, she put it on the floor next to her futon.

“I don’t know, I-- thought about asking Mara to-- unmake me.”

“You don’t have to do that.” Trying to be casual, she slipped off her pants and folded them like the shirt. ‘Oh crap, she’s suicidal, not good, very not good.’ Scratching at a small itch between her toes, Ranma resolved to make Mara pay for this on top of everything else.

“In a weird way you’re me-- and I’ll help you out however I can. Especially if it’s something that’s going to piss Mara off.” She tried to smile reassuringly at the catgirl and it seemed to have the desired effect. Actually it seemed like Kagami was in awe of her. “Um-- why are you staring at me like that?”

“Huh? I don’t know I just-- you just seemed different for a second.” Kagami answered with a small smile. “Like a real Goddess.”

“I’m not a Goddess!” Ranma was over and right up into Kagami’s face in an instant. “I’m a God, don’t forget it.” The cat girl nodded rapidly and Ranma sat down to cross her arms with a huff. “Maybe that worthless Urd could even do something about those ears and tail.” She suggested.

“That would be nice.” Kagami tugged on one of her ears. “You don’t blame me for you making that wish?”

“Nah, I probably would have said something like that anyways.” She waved a hand and yawned before crawling over to her futon. “I’m going to get some sleep.”

“Sounds like a good idea.” Kagami crawled into her own. “Thank you Oniisan.”

“Hmm?” Ranma raised an eyebrow at the address.

“Well I can’t very well be the elder, I’m only two days old.” Kagami covered her mouth as she giggled.

“I don’t do diapers.” Ranma replied, chuckling to herself.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:40 am

“Please let me stay here for the night and I will live tomorrow morning.”
leave
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:25 am

“Please let me stay here for the night and I will live tomorrow morning.”
I think you wanted leave not live. edit: Doh Konsaki pointed it out too.

“That would be nice.” Kagami tugged on one of her ears. “You don’t blame me for you making that wish?”
Did Neko-mirror make a wish? The whole section following this could be a little clearer about who is saying or doing what. Its a little hard to follow.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:34 am

Spokavriel wrote: Did Neko-mirror make a wish? The whole section following this could be a little clearer about who is saying or doing what. Its a little hard to follow.

No, she's talking about Ranma's wish. Though I suppose it is phrased a bit funky.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:45 am

Maybe something more like "You don't blame me for letting Mara force you into that wish?" or "You don't blame me for not trying to get away?" reason for that second option would come from remembering what Ranma could have and would have done in such a situation to get out of being used as leverage like that.

But the current phrasing might work with a comma breaking it so its harder to over look who's wish is being talked about.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:56 am

Actually I thought it was very clear what they were talking about there. Was a really nice interaction between the two of them. Brother/sister nicely set up and everything. In fact i wish it was a little longer was a pretty nice little bit there also gives a little indication on a slight change in personality, but one that isn't too overwhelming. The only issue I have is going to be developing the clone is going to be hard while also dealing with the situation as a whole. Doing too much/too little of one or the other would I expect be difficult.

The part I disliked was in the previous snippet. Him walking out on Urd felt forced. She was going to teach him how to be more powerful and he turned it down because he was irrirated and she activated his curse? Fine show him being irritated for the day but dismissing her as useless forever doesn't feel particularly appropriate.

I also don't particularly buy the explanation of why the curse still exists because it's 'demon' magic. As god or demon I think one of your primary jobs would be dispelling the magics of the opposing side. Doesn't mean it has to be easy but it should be very possible. That's not to say i don't enjoy him still having the curse its just that it seems weird with that explanation. Something less original like you were made a god with that duel nature so you'll always have a dual gendered nature like a lot of other divinities would have worked better in my mind.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:09 am

frice2000 wrote:The part I disliked was in the previous snippet. Him walking out on Urd felt forced. She was going to teach him how to be more powerful and he turned it down because he was irrirated and she activated his curse? Fine show him being irritated for the day but dismissing her as useless forever doesn't feel particularly appropriate.

I also don't particularly buy the explanation of why the curse still exists because it's 'demon' magic. As god or demon I think one of your primary jobs would be dispelling the magics of the opposing side. Doesn't mean it has to be easy but it should be very possible. That's not to say i don't enjoy him still having the curse its just that it seems weird with that explanation. Something less original like you were made a god with that duel nature so you'll always have a dual gendered nature like a lot of other divinities would have worked better in my mind.

It comes up multiple times that God magic and Demon magic is incompatible. Belldandy even points out that there is magic that she can't do so specific training/affinity is required for certain magic. The spell that Welspar put on Peorth required a Demon and a half Demon to dispel. Mara's original spell on Keiichi required her to say the password. And there are several more.

Ranma isn't pissed at Urd, he's pissed at everything that was shoved on him without a choice, and now he's disappointed that the thing he wished for, that Mara could have done, he can never fix himself or get without going to a Demon. Considering his experience so far with Demons, he doesn't want to make any kind of deal with one for that. It's sort of him realizing that he can't get a cure. Probably also that if he had worded his wish differently and ended up as the Demon then he could have cured it himself.

So he needs to take a break from Gods and Demons.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:42 am

It might help if a bit more of that realization played out in his head in a way that shows the increasing frustration causing him to need to distance himself or herself considering the water.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:01 am

Excuse some of my ignorance on the AMG source material. I read a lot of the manga but eventually got bored by total lack of plot development and status quo-ness around the twelfth volume or so though I did watch the movies, ovas, and tv series. From what I remember a lot of those were pretty specific cases and probably not indicative of powers as a whole. Of course a goddess couldn't cast demonic magic but dispel or removing it in most instances but for the very strongest of spells is essential to the whole slight warring sides thing. I mean if you can't resist or fight the other side (other then purely physically) how can you even have combat? How can there be temptation and destruction of mortals and their devices if a goddess can cast a spell a demon can never erode, etc. Sure the whole 'rule in hell thing over being a servant in heaven' is a likely explanation. But even then you can tear down one anothers creations it's kind of nessecary for their to be drama amounts the two opposing factions (which ultimately yes AMG had little of).

Sure major spells cast by the strongest power players could be irremovable except by an equally strong opposing force...and if Jusenkyo is that ok I can understand that. Though it's existence as a major demonic creation is strange as it's more of an annoyance then an out and out destructive, life totally altering creation. In fact some of the people in the surrounding area have made it central to their culture so again not seeing the evil. Of course a lot of things have drowned there and it's malevolent in that way but the springs in general strike me as a more unintentional creation or experiment in the context you're framing it then a spell purposefully cast by the strongest of demons.

Now if you give more info later on who created Jusenkyo and why it's so powerful I'll buy it. As it stands right now I don't. This doesn't weaken the story in my mind as I'm a huge fan of the curse and it's exploration but I know the anti-curse crew will find that suspicious. If you don't plan on having the curses be too central a plot point moving forward I'll sit and nod and not care. Others from the opposing camp may though just giving what i assume their arguments to be a voice.

I do care about a story about competing gods and demons having yet another piece of conflict removed. I mean poor nekomimi Ranma by this logic won't be alterable by the gods and goddesses since she's a demonic construct. As this goes on that is very limiting. As it goes you've drastically limited the new powers to only messing with each other via proxy. If that's what you're going door ok, but I can think of a couple times in the manga and TV series Ive watched and read where they had slightly more direct combat.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:35 am

frice2000 wrote:Excuse some of my ignorance on the AMG source material. I read a lot of the manga but eventually got bored by total lack of plot development and status quo-ness around the twelfth volume or so though I did watch the movies, ovas, and tv series. From what I remember a lot of those were pretty specific cases and probably not indicative of powers as a whole. Of course a goddess couldn't cast demonic magic but dispel or removing it in most instances but for the very strongest of spells is essential to the whole slight warring sides thing. I mean if you can't resist or fight the other side (other then purely physically) how can you even have combat? How can there be temptation and destruction of mortals and their devices if a goddess can cast a spell a demon can never erode, etc. Sure the whole 'rule in hell thing over being a servant in heaven' is a likely explanation. But even then you can tear down one anthers creations it's kind of nessecary for their to be drama (which ultimately yes AMG had little of).

The AMG drama is out of the ordinary. Gods and Demons are not supposed to be on Midgard except briefly. Mara comments on this, her mission to actually drive the 3 Goddesses back to Asgard so they would stop purposely and inadvertently tipping the balance in their favor.

And don't apply Abrahamic religious concepts to the way things are in OMG. Other than some imagery, it has nothing to do with it.

Sure major spells cast by the strongest power players could be irremovable except by an equally strong opposing force...and if Jusenkyo is that ok I can understand that. Though it's existence as a major demonic creation is strange as it's more of an annoyance then an out and out destructive, life totally altering creation. In fact some of the people in the surrounding area have made it central to their culture so again not seeing the evil. Of course a lot of things have drowned there and it's malevolent in that way but the springs in general strike me as a more unintentional creation or experiment in the context you're framing it then a spell cast by the strongest of demons.

Mara at one point agrees to make Keiichi love Sayoko. The by product is that Belldandy is hurt by it, but it's still accepting a contract for something positive. It's not that Demons make everything horrible, it's merely that they do something or if they are not involved directly, it's something generally negative.

Jusenkyo affects three different groups of very combative people. Pretty much every pool has had someone drown in it. That the Phoenix have made it into a debatably positive thing doesn't change that at best it's a constant nuisance for anyone who is touched by it. (The Phoenix are addicted to it, they can't live without Saffron and his use of the springs) Something that was divine in origin would affect things positively, not negatively.
Now if you give more info later on who created Jusenkyo and why it's so powerful I'll buy it. As it stands right now I don't. This doesn't weaken the story in my mind as I'm a huge fan of the curse and it's exploration but I know the anti-curse crew will find that suspicious. If you don't plan on having the curses be too central a plot point moving forward I'll sit and nod and not care. Others from the opposing camp may though just giving what i assume their arguments to be a voice.

At which point I'll point to OMG canon which you seem to be ignoring.

I do care about a story about competing gods and demons having yet another piece of conflict removed. I mean poor nekomimi Ranma by this logic won't be alterable by the gods and goddesses since she's a demonic construct. As this goes on that is very limiting. As it goes you've drastically limited the new powers to only messing with each other via proxy. If that's what you're going door ok, but I can think of a couple times in the manga and TV series Ive watched and read where they had slightly more direct combat.
It's not limiting, it merely requires that working around and within the system is required. Having some free form thing where anyone can do anything is too much freedom.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Mara rubbed at her bruised cheek while eating breakfast at the human home that was now neutral ground. Her new student was a difficult one. Urd was starting Ranma off with a medium level spell circle, and he seemed to have accomplished it. Mara didn’t hold out much hope for Akane to do a similar feat, but she may have had a talent for it, so she had shown her how to make a circle pattern that would bring an inanimate object to life for a time. Akane had accomplished it, since it only required making a small pattern in dirt, except the stuffed bear that was supposed to come to life and be a loyal servant, had tried to eat them instead.

The reason her face was bruised was that her student had not been happy to find that Mara had slept in her bed, and had been violent. ‘Ungrateful student. She should be thanking me for choosing to sleep in the same room as her.’ Sometime today she would have to pick up a nice coffin to sleep in.

Watching as the new God, or currently Goddess stomped into the room dripping water from her boxers and tank top, a panda trailing a moment later. Chuckling to herself, she froze at the glare coming from the newly divine girl. “Uh-- what?” She asked, glancing nervously side to side.

“Why are you here?” Ranma asked slowly, her eyes narrowed into dangerous little slits.

“I.” Mara wasn’t about to be intimidated by this newly ascended Goddess.

“She’s my stupid perverted teacher.” Akane spoke up.

“Hey now.” Mara wanted to protest Akane’s use of pervert, they had both been fully clothed, and nothing had happened.

“So if she’s so stupid and perverted why do you want her as a teacher?” Ranma asked innocently.

“That’s a good question.” Akane turned to look at her. “Am I not worth having a teacher who isn’t known as a complete screw up?”

“Where did you hear that?” Mara demanded from the new Demon.

“From that girl who brought me here, after she got done laughing for a good ten minutes when she saw your name.” Akane answered.

“Laga will pay for that.” Mara growled.

“Sure she will.” Ranma commented as both she and Akane rolled their eyes.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:55 pm

The Musk remember have made it a central part of their society. You can argue how much but their founding is directly tied to the springs. The fact that there is a demand of some sort for the Instant packets also indicates some positives as well.

As to me applying what younare classifying as Abramhamic religious philosophy to AMG fine. That may be the case but only because i see direct parallels between that religious dogma and the series as a whole. You've got one all powerful entity at the top of everything that has created creation and the 'computer' to run it. You've got a arch nemesis that he too obviously created who is trying to destroy or subvert his creations...Of course you can mix in a ton of other religious faiths and dogmas too and put it in a blender and get the AMG universe but that doesn't mean that i still think most of the structure is based at least marginally on that view of the universe. Of course the demons aren't always destructively negative but that doesn't mean that interpretation doesn't work.

I believe the creator of the series said he took Norse mythological names so that people weren't for the most part going to be familiar with what he was spinning from that source material. To that end he took the real basics of Norse mythos and combined it with whatever he wanted and thus you've got a series. Now, if i take Norse mythology as the source which is pretty workable as the gods and goddesses all had their own personalities and would stray into darkness themselves at times I still see them fighting 'evil'. People prayed to them as people pray to all faiths for protection in battle, against demons, love, sickness, crops, etc. So you're telling me that if say a demon cursed the fields so that they couldn't grow crops if a god of the fields came along he wouldn't be able to dispel the curse because it was demonic in nature? If that was the case their existence is pointless. Sure it would take a god of similar strength to the demon but it has to be done or the entire reason for worship of gods and goddesses with demons falls apart if they can't do anything to combat the other. No worship would exist regardless of faith if this was the case.

Back to the Norse mythology. The snake wants to eat the world tree. Well Hild controls the Snake it is the name of her computer system. That implies warfare and destruction on her part. You can say that the demons just move things to be more negative and aren't always out and out evil but vie for negativity and I'll agree...But their end goal is still the destruction at least in my mind.

The fact that the Doublet system exists at all implies a long conflict of which neither side could win without the destruction of most of their number. You're impling that in that fight they didn't use their powers on one another? That they couldn't unravel each others spells so only used enchanted divinely or hellishly forged weaponry? I don't buy that and that is not what I think the creator of the series wants us to think.

Anyway, this is a near pointless discussion. You've no doubt read much more of the source material so you'll likely just dismiss my arguments and thats fine.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Drawde2 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:25 pm

I don't think that demonic magic is inherently negative. They just believe in being payed for their work. They'll do ANYTHING as long as you pay their price. Negative or positive doesn't matter, as long as you pay. They have no reason to deliberately add a negative aspect to a wish. The spell uses the path of least resistance to cause it's affect, and adding to it would take more energy. The gods, on the other hand, only grant wishes to those they think deserve it. We're not given much (if any) info on what's considered "worthy", other than they avoid granting wishes to people who want to do evil.

As for gods affecting demonic magic, consider thier respective computers to BE computers. Only the admins have full privileges. Who happen to be Kami-sama and Hild, respectively. All spells are just programs. And differnent gods/demons have varying levels of lesser access. Hild easily dispelled Welspar's spell on Peorth, but only after being "paid" to do so. Belldandy, on the other hand, couldn't dispel a transformation that Mara cast on Keiichi, because she didn't know the password to access it. She tried brute-forcing it, but only succeeded in changing Keiichi into different animals, not back into a human. And she couldn't get any of the gods to dispel it because it was on a different system. She could, on the other hand, cancel Urd's spells because Urd always used the same password, which Bell happened to know. Welspar hacked into the god's computer and placed a worm into it, which got him into a lot of trouble. This is canon, btw.

Both sides do have attack spells, which can be blocked. And it's possible to brute-force your way into a spell, if you know how, and take the time (Bell gave up, since she didn't know how that well, and was just making things worse).
Drawde2
Senshi Candidate

PreviousNext

Return to Stories and C&C