What if… — Idea inklings

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: What if… — Idea inklings

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:12 pm

Or, ignoring your powers, you can leap from ambush and punch them in the nose.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 am

Might be one way extent of powers is discovered. Guy has noted he has some powers. He gets lost and out of ammo, decides to roll a few black hats for some. Hits the 'point' guy and the entire patrol goes flying as one man into a nearby tree. "Cool."
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:49 am

I almost forgot this old bit…

- - -

One Xan­der Har­ris dis­cov­ers that there are vam­pires on the night shift at Sun­ny­dale Air­port when he over­hears a fore­man tell a new hire why the cargo pi­lots com­ing in at night are not to be fed on or turned. “Vam­pire life has its down­sides, but it’s out­right glam­orous when com­pared to these worn-out Part 135 freight dogs in their equally worn-out sin­gle-en­gined planes. I oughta know. I was one.”
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:36 pm

I have a couple of Potter-verse what-ifs this tine.

1. Dumbledore is also a member of the "born as the seventh month dies" club.
2. Dementors are wasted-away gamers.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:42 pm

Té Rowan wrote:I have a couple of Potter-verse what-ifs this tine.

1. Dumbledore is also a member of the "born as the seventh month dies" club.

Could be fun. Not a great writing prompt though i think. Though it might be amusing if he keeps ending up taking Harry's place in all the shitty situations. And he doesn't realise why. :twisted:

What's even more fun is the fact that there's a perfectly solid argument to make for Hermione to be part of it, and Harry and Neville NOT.
September is literally named as the seventh(septima) month, and even by modern counting, she's born in the latter part of it, BUT, by some earlier calender variants, September ended with the Autumn equinox, which is around 21st-22nd or so, putting her just a few days from the end of the month.

And of course, all it takes for the rest to work out is if the big bad dork lord had a bad tooth and was a bad patient about it. :P
("he" doesn't disqualify in a society that has polyjuice just as one of several ways to shapeshift, not that it's even certain that "he" refers to the same person as the rest of the prophecy; nor is there anything demanding that the "mark" has to have happened at a specific time or in the past)

Té Rowan wrote:2. Dementors are wasted-away gamers.

Nah, too stretched logic. :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:42 am

There was a small rash here of telephone salesmen selling religion. That resulted in this SM what-if:

1. The 144'000 mentioned re the Rapture is really the number of initial inhabitants of a Crystal Tokyo on the moon.

Of course I have no idea if anyone will revisit the "build up to CT on the moon" idea anytime soon.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:32 pm

Was reading a Potter-fic that went through Second Year and that Colgate Smile Award Winner when this sentence popped up:

"The school's going to have its collective Moon Queen space tested this year."

"Moon Queen" is of course "serenity", and I presume you know that space(worthiness) testing can be quite severe.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:45 pm

They tested it, but the rabbit died.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 pm

And then… some advisory words for (if not from) some magical-girl story or other:

"It's one of those strange things in life. An attack is as powerful as its name is weird. Nobody knows why."
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:55 pm

Té Rowan wrote:And then… some advisory words for (if not from) some magical-girl story or other:

"It's one of those strange things in life. An attack is as powerful as its name is weird. Nobody knows why."

No wonder Mxyzptlk gives Superman so much trouble!
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:11 pm

BtVS with a bit of Teen Boat flavour:

A fray-adjacent Xander wakes up in hospital after an accident. He’s told he almost died but had recovered nicely if faster than the doctors had expected. He goes down to the beach to relax… and discovers he can summon a sailboard whenever he wades into the waves. So, yes, he’ll be sailboarding a lot.

And then he discovers something else: When far enough out, he can transform into an ocean yacht. Who can imagine X-man studiously learning as much as possible about seamanship and yachting, now that he can see much more of the world than just the Lower 48?

And what kinds of trouble will he find (other than storms and lumbering freighters, that is)?
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun May 30, 2021 6:17 am

Ranma ½: In one story, an HP crossover as I recall, the Hibikis are wand-wizards. What if their directional problems stemmed from clashes between magics used habitually to corret other problems and/or enhance stats?
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:48 pm

I just imagined a Redhead Club which members are previous mothers of one Harry Potter. Lily would, of course, be the latest inductee.

Other possible members would be Washuu, Kushina Uzumaki and Nodoka Saotome. No doubt there are more.

Now imagining a group of female redheads appearing during a certain battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort in the Ministry Atrium, and proceeding to inform the people there in their most convincing manner that they wanted to see grandbabies, lots of grandbabies, very soon, and that any threat to the stream of grandbabies would promptly cease to be a threat while spending an inordinate amount of time regretting ever being a threat.

Also imagining someone telling Dumbledore and Voldemort to their faces that some of these redheads had reality-reshaping powers of a scale that made D&V look like muggle children playing in a sandbox. "So just take care that you do not become the reality that they deem needs reshaping."

The chances of them listening? I expect them to be reshaped… into living henshin sticks for pre-teen mahou shoujo. And thus shall they gain immortality.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:20 pm

Edward Wong (from Cowboy Bebop. She has hacker power, and is backed by a spaceship.) Chibi-usa is too young, but how about Black Lady? (Think pink!) Birdy the Mighty? Mink, from Dragon Half; Shayla-Shayla from El Hazard; Nonon Jakuzure from Kill la Kill; Utena Tenjou (who has the power to revolutionize the world); Kei of the Dirty Pair; A-ko from Project A-ko. Or, if you really want to haul out the big guns -- Lina Inverse!

There's a lovely short fanfiction out there: Taylor Inverse. Worm doesn't stand a chance.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:34 am

Only a Ranma-verse one-liner this time:

Nabiki reads a Discworld book and decides to formally become a practising Yen Buddhist.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs