Another death on 2020's karma.

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Another death on 2020's karma.

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Chuck Yeager slipped the surly bonds of Earth yesterday, at age 97. He's been a hero of mine for a very long time. He first broke the sound barrier when I was 5. During my early years I often spent summers with my aunt and uncle in Maryland and/or Virginia, and liked to roam around the Smithsonian museums. This is where I first met the Bell X-1; it was given to the Smithsonian (American National Air Museum) in 1950. Exhibit preparation takes time, so I was probably at least 10 when I saw it, and in much better condition to truly appreciate it.

It wasn't the first rocketplane (the Germans used the Me 163 Komet in air defense) but war machines? The X-1 was a plane, propelled by controllable rockets, intended for research. Science!, as I am prone to say. I was a budding science-fiction fan, though I didn't know about fandom back then. I stood there worshipping the X-1.

(I'm also enthusiastic about Kelly Johnson, the aircraft designer who shepherded the U2, SR-71, and F-104 to completion. He also was behind the P-38 and the P-80. The man was both busy, and talented.) What can I say? It can't all be artists, musicians, and actors.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Re: Another death on 2020's karma.

Postby Sunshine Temple » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Not much more to add here. The man was a treasure and made history in many ways.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Return to Other Talk