IRL: Fire loose in Our Lady’s Church in Paris

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Re: IRL: Fire loose in Our Lady’s Church in Paris

Postby Spokavriel » Tue May 07, 2019 11:55 am

Could have sworn people were making it work with short half life manmade radioactive materials. Been too long since I looked it up.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: IRL: Fire loose in Our Lady’s Church in Paris

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Could have sworn people were making it work with short half life manmade radioactive materials. Been too long since I looked it up.

Oh, that can be done. I've done it myself, as long as you'll accept Helium-3. And I've transmuted palladium into silver as well. But it took a lot of equipment, a lot of electricity, and produced minuscule amounts. It was ridiculously expensive.

But that's nuclear chemistry, not regular chemistry. You can get useful stuff that way - there's americium-241 used in smoke detectors, cesium-137 used in radiation therapy, iodine-131 used in thyroid therapy, and the like. Some natural radionuclides are used, like radium "seeds" implanted in cancers. But most need either a nuclear reactor, or a particle accelerator. Helium works best with a proper natural gas well, which can probably provide more helium in a minute than a nuclear reactor could do in a day.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Previous

Return to Other Talk