Isekai

Talk about all other fiction in this forum.

Re: Isekai

Postby toushin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:29 pm

They could also be used as a running joke in the fanon. I never hear of Doctor Who until I randomly came across the 10th doctor on bbc. Yet a bunch of fanfics in the 90’s early 2000’s would insinuate that Ryoga was a companion. They weren’t crossovers there would just be a random sentence in the fanfic about the characters thinking this Doctor Ryoga kept talking about was an imaginary friend. I figured it was just something a writer made up that others liked and went with.

Isekai’s could be the new running gag instead of this mysterious doctor the charecters could brush off Ryoga’s accounts of mystical adventures he had.

Also it would be interesting to see the characters after the adventure is over. I went into it a bit with my overly cautious hero crossover pitch. However there are also series like Hagure Yūsha no Estetica which not only leads to an entirely new adventure, but also more creative experiments with this concept. What if Ranma is sent to another world, but doesn’t become a hero or gain any of the abilities that come with it.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby slickrcbd » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:29 pm

I think part of the problem is that the term "Isekai" has only come into common usage fairly recently. I don't think I heard the term at all four years ago, but I haven't been very active in the anime community for the last 10 years.

However, I can say that I never heard the term used when talking about series like "El Hazard", "Magic Knight Rayearth", "Fushigi Yugi", "Innuyasha", or even "Spirited Away" back when I was far more active in the anime community.

The point is that the Ranma fandom is old, I first saw some of the anime around 25 years ago (actually I think it was '96 or '97, but close enough), and did not get into fanfiction until early '98 after I finally got unlimited dial-up and a second phone line (disconnected in 2002 when I got broadband) at home.

I know that there are quite a few fics that could be called "Isekai" stories today out there. Ranma being sent to every place imaginable. I've read ones where he winds up somehow in Tokyo3, Forgotten Realms, and Pokemon. He's been sent to Star Wars and Star Trek. (I could try to track down links if you want). All these were started before 2005.
A common departure point is Gosunkugi, Happosai, or Mousse finding some artifact to banish Ranma.

Isekai was actually fairly common in the early 2000's, we just didn't call it that.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:10 am

I think part of the problem is that the term "Isekai" has only come into common usage fairly recently. I don't think I heard the term at all four years ago, but I haven't been very active in the anime community for the last 10 years.

It's certainly been used for quite a while, but yeah, the recent several years with its flooding of isekai anime is what has caused it to become a very common genre.
IIRC though, i think animeplanet at least have had it as a genre tag ever since i registered there in 2008 at the very least.

"Innuyasha"

Timetravel, not isekai. Or at least it's supposed to be, though i will certainly agree that it very much LOOKS isekai.

I know that there are quite a few fics that could be called "Isekai" stories today out there. Ranma being sent to every place imaginable. I've read ones where he winds up somehow in Tokyo3, Forgotten Realms, and Pokemon. He's been sent to Star Wars and Star Trek. (I could try to track down links if you want). All these were started before 2005.
A common departure point is Gosunkugi, Happosai, or Mousse finding some artifact to banish Ranma.

Oh dear yes. Dropping Ranma(or sometimes Ryoga, Akane or less often some of the other characters from the series) into other universes is definitely a popular genre.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby slickrcbd » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Spica75 wrote:Oh dear yes. Dropping Ranma(or sometimes Ryoga, Akane or less often some of the other characters from the series) into other universes is definitely a popular genre.

The point is that nobody called it "Isekai" 15 years ago. Or at least I don't recall encountering the term.
I haven't been that active in the anime community since the late 2000s. I think this is the only board I signed up for still around and active (although anifics.com has been reincarnated), and aside from the fic search sub-forum I'm mostly inactive since the previous incarnation of Fukufics.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:47 pm

The point is that nobody called it "Isekai" 15 years ago. Or at least I don't recall encountering the term.

Not often when referring to fanfics based on a single series no, because then they got referred to as, in this case "Ranma-fics" and the like. Especially when it's fanfics. More often than not, genre's are not mentioned at all.

It has definitely become more common to divide up into categories in later years, i absolutely agree on that, but the term is definitely not a new thing. What's new is that there's recently been a horde of new fiction that STARTS OUT, intentionally and specifically as isekai rather than starting as a story which happens to also be isekai.

From what i've been able to find, that seems to be the divider, earlier it was a 2ndary category or genre, but in recent years it has become its own primary thing. Writers specifically set out to write isekai stories rather than "stories" that end up being isekai.

When searching, i did find a single mention of isekai as a genre as early as the 90s.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby toushin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:08 pm

vector manipulation seems like a good way to overcome the moxibusion. so what do you think is a better idea.
1. give ranma vector manipulation and have him figure out how to cure himself as he develops in skill. this seems like the best option for ranma to survive being dropped in a new world with no strength.

2. give ranma a greater understanding of ki flow and have him develop vector manipulation from that. as in aiki juijutsu is the only thing he could do with this skill and no strength.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Previous

Return to Fiction Discussion