Quantify Ranma's abilities

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Quantify Ranma's abilities

Postby Zwzn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:48 pm

I remember a site that did this, but I can't find it anymore, and my math skills are not up to the task to Quantify Ranma's abilities.

How fast is Ranma: ?

How strong is Ranma: ?

How tuff is Ranma: ?

How cold can Ranma get before being effected: ?

How much heat can he take: ?

How much electricity can he take: ?

How powerful are Ranma's Ki blasts: ?

How fast can Ranma punch: ?

Skills Ranma has:

Able to reach through solid objects. and grab something on the other side.

Cling or stand on walls and ceilings.

Cut things just by running his fingure over it.

Energy blasts that impart kinetic and thermal energy.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Ahye » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:07 pm

I think it was this page, but as I seem to no longer be able to reach that page, I might be wrong. I kind of hope I am wrong, because I remember the page you're talking about, and it was interesting.
Ahye
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Ahye wrote:I think it was this page, but as I seem to no longer be able to reach that page, I might be wrong. I kind of hope I am wrong, because I remember the page you're talking about, and it was interesting.

I haven't been able to find the site in years, and done even remember what the name of the site was.

I was hopping that others would help fill in the numbers, and add to the list of skills Ranma has. I started that list with thing that I remember well off the top of my head.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby pspinler » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:26 pm

Obsidian Fox and Xylix did a rather involved attempt at an analysis in their ff.net "Eldritch Asylum" forum, in at least these threads:

An Analysis of Ranma's Physical Abilities

How Bullet-Proof or Bullet-Resistant is Ranma?

The physics of Ki - Mokou Takabisha & Umisenken & the like

Luck!
-- Pat
pspinler
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:03 am

pspinler wrote:Obsidian Fox and Xylix did a rather involved attempt at an analysis in their ff.net "Eldritch Asylum" forum, in at least these threads:

I didn't know where these where, and I thought there was only one. Thank you.

pspinler wrote:An Analysis of Ranma's Physical Abilities

Here I'll point out how incredibly close these numbers are to the results from Ryouga. This is one amongst may pieces of evidence that NWC members don't vary a whole lot in gross strength values. Also note that the final throwing wattage is very high, especially when measured against jumping wattage estimates. This makes the highest end guess doubtful.

This doesn't seem right to me. It seems like things are done to illustrate that Akane is noticeablely weaker then Ranma and Ryouga.

They are at least nice low ends.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:03 am

Ranma's less meaningfully quantifiable then Looney Tunes.

How can use assume identical properties to RL rock when they have none of the characteristics of RL rock? RL rock is a ceramic or if you prefer is dominated by ionic bonding, which makes the material hard but also insures plastic deformation is impossible on the molecular level. Hence real rock will shatter along grain boundaries or powder when pushed past its elastic deformation limits. This is made worse by the fact Ranmaverse rock has been shown to cave, which is not possible unless you're going to argue the insane, as a solid like solid rock already has its atoms arranged in a tight pack configuration meaning there is no empty space to collapse without collapsing the atoms themselves. The work around is you have interstitual pockets of gas which is highly compressible.

To get the kind of deformation we see is pretty much covalent exlusive territory. The strongest form of that with interstitual gas pockets is Styrofoam which has radically different properties then rock because of the different molecular bonding and the interstitial gas pockets. Material properties are indivisible from the molecular bonding type and otherwise so basically that renders every last number derived from stuff related to "rock" or building materials questionable at the least, as valid as a random number picked out of the air in fact.

And that's just some of the more blatantly obvious problems.

Everything in Ranma is simply designed to operate its over the top humor style while alluding to the antics of martial arts films. Even Genma and Soun are almost a straight rip off of a near identical pair of characters right down to character design in a farcical Bruce Lee rip off film from the 70s called the Blind Fist of Bruce Li. I should probably mention these guys arranged fights for the prodigee, where the guys were *cough*cough* paid to lose.

A quantified style doesn't suit it for writing purposes at all, Ranma 1/2 falls apart well before you get that serious just due to character wackiness. Slapstick taken seriously is pretty much a flat out no-no. So what's the point? Why not just use Yu Ominae of Spriggan, whose from a series designed from the base up for serious combat and to be taken seriously?
FOG3

Return to Specific Series: Ranma