Ranma foot in mouth

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Just to point out, they are Akane's clothes and Ranma does know; Akane complains, before they finally find an outfit to put on him, about Ranma having to wear her clothes.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:10 pm

Even if this example wasnt valid, and it seems it is.

Seems most people agree Ranma talks without thinking sometimes.

Yes its overblown, but thats what fannon does.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby whatever » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:40 pm

When Akane was learning to swim he told her something like that Akane will look fat in a swimming suit, I can't remember exactly the words.

I don't know if I'm the only one who found many of his commentaries to Akane having small chest in the breast arc out of line.
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:08 am

Necavit wrote: He still replied without thinking of how it might be percieved.

Ranma should not have to worry about insulting someone when what he says is something that is socially exceptable. Girls when Trying on a friends closes use those exact or similar words , and they are not taken as insults.

At some point Ranma would have had to have said why the closes did not fit. Ranma had to have basicly said what he did no matter what.

Two girls that are the same hieght and wieght can have drasticly different builds, and this is something that is clear just by glancing at Akane and Ranma's female form.

The only reason I have found is Akane took offence was because Ranma said it, and she was still holding a gruge from.

Necavit wrote: If someone asked me how do the pants fit and I said the crouch is too small. Its gonna be pretty insulting to whose pants they are. Even if I dont know they are listening or if Im telling the truth.

That isn't insulting at all. If you add words to that you could easily make it insulting.

Different bodies fit better in different cuts. It is as true for men as it is for women. That is why you try on pants like Ranma was.

Necavit wrote: Putting your foot in your mouth is just saying something without consdiering the full implications, thats all. It dosnt have to be inentionally cruel what your saying, it can be 100% truth.

Putting your foot in your mouth means that you have uninentionally said something you should not have, or phrased something poorly. It is always uninentionally.

http://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Idio ... outh_3.htm

http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/putyourfooti.html

Necavit wrote: But there is a basis to the foot in mouth thing with Ranma.

Most fanon has some basis in canon, but that does not make it accurate. Generally I find fanon makes Ranma look worse then he is, and Akane look better.

whatever wrote:I don't know if I'm the only one who found many of his commentaries to Akane having small chest in the breast arc out of line.

He finds out Akane got a new bra, and comes to the concluesion Akane's breast must have gotten smaller. He is actually trying to be nice, but that is what makes it a prime example for Ranma for Ranma putting his foot in his mouth.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:32 am

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ranma ask that after Happosai splashes Ranma and tries to force him into Akane's new bra- which is so small that it's agonizingly painful? Ranma asks Akane if her bust has grown smaller, as it's the first explanation that comes to "her" about why the size difference would be so drastic- he/she had never considered that her own bust size might increase as she aged, and she's startled as hell when it turns out she's gotten even bustier than she was before.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Insult is all perception.

No one person can decide what is insulting and what isnt.

Some people brush of what you would consider insulting, some become insulted by what most would brush off.

Some people would take offense in the clothes example, and its impossible to disprove that.

Im saying right now, if someone did that with my jeans I would be insulted.

When you say something that insults someone you dont have to agree that what you said was hurtful. You simply recognize that you have hurt that person's feeling and than apologise.

And yes that is what foot in mouth is, and thats exactly what Ranma does in each example I have provided.

He thinks Akane is a strong runner in the relay race but says He needs a macho chick. Poor phrasing.

The clothes are too small but he didnt consider that what he would say might hurt someone feeling which they did. He could have simply said they dont fit, I seem to remember he makes comment like, theres enough room in the waist for another person. (I find it hard to beleieve no girl would be annoyed with that).

Generally I find that fannon makes Ranma near perfect and demonizes Akane and Ryoga. The simple fact is that Ranma is the most popular character and most people fight tooth and nail before they accept he could do any wrong.

This fannon has a basis and I say it would be accurate to say Ranma speaks without thinking sometimes.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Ranma

Postby Zwzn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:00 pm

Necavit wrote: Insult is all perception.
An insult is more then perception.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/insult

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insult

Necavit wrote:Some people brush of what you would consider insulting, some become insulted by what most would brush off.

Some people would take offense in the clothes example, and its impossible to disprove that.

I have never met anyone who would assume the friend they are loaning closes to is insulting them. If people in general feel a certain social behavor is ok it is the person who disagrees who has the probelm.

When borrowing a friends closes it is normal to try to find something that fit. In order to find a good fit one must explain why and where something does not fit at some point.

What Ranma said was that the top was too tight, and the bottoms where too loose. It was Akane and her sisters who wanted to try to find girl's closes that fit Ranma rather then just give him a dogi something. Akane then flew into a jealous rage.Three people in the room saw nothing wrong with what Ranma said, but one did. The one who saw something wrong with what Ranma said is clearly not the norm, and therefore is the one who has the problem.

Necavit wrote: When you say something that insults someone you dont have to agree that what you said was hurtful. You simply recognize that you have hurt that person's feeling and than apologise.

There are times when someone takes something as an insult, and is completely out of line. They are just being overly touchy thin skined jerks, and clearly have issues that they need to work out.

Necavit wrote: The clothes are too small but he didnt consider that what he would say might hurt someone feeling which they did. He could have simply said they dont fit, I seem to remember he makes comment like, theres enough room in the waist for another person. (I find it hard to beleieve no girl would be annoyed with that).

Viz Translation Ranma 1/2 Vol.1 Page 210

Ranma is trying on overalls from Akane's closet

Nabiki: Oooh! It is YOU!

Akane : It's... It's... PERFECT...

Ranma looking in a mirror with what could be a sad look on her(his) face

Ranma : It doesn't fit. The chest is too tight.

Akane : GRRRR

Nabiki now taking a closer look.

Nabiki: Really? How's the waist?

Ranma : Room to spare!

Sword like weapons that Akane must keep in her room for some reason: CHK

Necavit wrote: Generally I find that fannon makes Ranma near perfect and demonizes Akane and Ryoga. The simple fact is that Ranma is the most popular character and most people fight tooth and nail before they accept he could do any wrong.

I often see Ranma being writen as a ignorant, stupid boor who isn't even that great at athletics. Akane on the other hand is often writen as the kind sweet girl who sadly has to deal with Ranma

Necavit wrote: This fannon has a basis and I say it would be accurate to say Ranma speaks without thinking sometimes.

But, fanon would have us beleive Ranma does that often.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Necavit wrote: Insult is all perception.
An insult is more then perception.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/insult

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insult

Necavit wrote:Some people brush of what you would consider insulting, some become insulted by what most would brush off.

I have never met anyone who would assume the friend they are loaning closes to is insulting them. If people in general feel a certain social behavor is ok it is the person who disagrees who has the probelm.

When borrowing a friends closes it is normal to try to find something that fit. In order to find a good fit one must explain why and where something does not fit at some point.

What Ranma said was that the top was too tight, and the bottoms where too loose. It was Akane and her sisters who wanted to try to find girl's closes that fit Ranma rather then just give him a dogi something. Akane then flew into a jealous rage.Three people in the room saw nothing wrong with what Ranma said, but one did. The one who saw something wrong with what Ranma said is clearly not the norm, and therefore is the one who has the problem.

Necavit wrote: When you say something that insults someone you dont have to agree that what you said was hurtful. You simply recognize that you have hurt that person's feeling and than apologise.

There are times when someone takes something as an insult, and is completely out of line. They are just being overly touchy thin skined jerks, and clearly have issues that they need to work out.

Necavit wrote: The clothes are too small but he didnt consider that what he would say might hurt someone feeling which they did. He could have simply said they dont fit, I seem to remember he makes comment like, theres enough room in the waist for another person. (I find it hard to beleieve no girl would be annoyed with that).

Viz Translation Ranma 1/2 Vol.1 Page 210

Ranma is trying on overalls from Akane's closet

Nabiki: Oooh! It is YOU!

Akane : It's... It's... PERFECT...

Ranma looking in a mirror with what could be a sad look on her(his) face

Ranma : It doesn't fit. The chest is too tight.

Akane : GRRRR

Nabiki now taking a closer look.

Nabiki: Really? How's the waist?

Ranma : Room to spare!

Sword like weapons that Akane must keep in her room for some reason: CHK

Necavit wrote: Generally I find that fannon makes Ranma near perfect and demonizes Akane and Ryoga. The simple fact is that Ranma is the most popular character and most people fight tooth and nail before they accept he could do any wrong.

I often see Ranma being writen as a ignorant, stupid boor who isn't even that great at athletics. Akane on the other hand is often writen as the kind sweet girl who sadly has to deal with Ranma

Necavit wrote: This fannon has a basis and I say it would be accurate to say Ranma speaks without thinking sometimes.

But, fanon would have us beleive Ranma does that often.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:22 pm

To affect as an affront; offend or demean

Dont know whats with the dictionnary... An insult is still perception. Its up to a person to decide if they have been insulted.

Your really are starting to confuse me, you dont have to say something intentionally cruel to put your foot in your mouth. Wither or not Ranma meant what he said as cruel is beside the point. By your own manga translation Akane was growling in the background, seems like a pretty good hint hes insulting her.

You seem more concerned on pointing out that Akane overeacted, which while true, is beside the point.

Im pretty sure your not gonna budge on this, so Im done with this argument. The difference between Ranma often and somtimes putting his foot in his mouth dosnt seem worth arguing anymore.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:08 pm

Necavit wrote:Your really are starting to confuse me, you dont have to say something intentionally cruel to put your foot in your mouth.

Putting your foot inm your mouth means you have said something that causres pain in some way unintentionally. It is always unintentional.

Necavit wrote:Wither or not Ranma meant what he said as cruel is beside the point. By your own manga translation Akane was growling in the background, seems like a pretty good hint hes insulting her.

The problem is this is Akane we are talking about. Ranma can say nothing wrong, and Akane's mind will twist it to something pervert, or insulting. Ranma once clearly explained why he was groping Miss Hinako, and Akane thought he just liked big breasts.

Necavit wrote:You seem more concerned on pointing out that Akane overeacted, which while true, is beside the point.

Getting angry at all was an over reaction.

Necavit wrote:Im pretty sure your not gonna budge on this, so Im done with this argument. The difference between Ranma often and somtimes putting his foot in his mouth dosnt seem worth arguing anymore.

Agree to disagree?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Sure, Ill agree to disagree.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma