Ranma foot in mouth

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Ranma foot in mouth

Postby three headed dog » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:08 am

I was reading some fics earlier and saw mention of Ranma putting his foot in his mouth. Usage of it was non literal. Though now that I think about it Ranma probably could actually put his foot in his mouth if he wanted to.

I don't remember Ranma making embarrassing or tactless blunders when speaking that often in the manga and was wondering if someone could tell me some canon examples of him doing so. Please do not list times in which he is insulting the other person in response to an insult or perceived insult (he might regret saying it and it might be tactless but he did so on purpose during those occasions).
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:34 pm

That's funny... I know he's done it, but I can't remember when... wait, I think I have some times. I'm more familiar with the anime, so take these with a lick of salt.

Tells Akane "these things happen" during their talk when Akane reveals how futile her pursuit of Tofu is.

(Possible) Bluntly tells Nabiki that the dresss belonging to Akane they just forced him/her into is too tight at the bust and too baggy at the hips.

Almost laughingly asks if Ryoga fell in a Jusenkyo spring when he finally reveals he followed Ranma to China.

(Possible) Snaps that he doesn't want to hug Akane during the Hypnotic Mushroom story.

(Possible) Complains that she/he isn't holding Akane because it likes her when she complains about Ranma trying to save her from falling.

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:43 pm

Right at the beginning of the series when Ranma says that she's better built than Akane.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:09 pm

I actually consider that being Ranma deliberately insulting Akane, prompted by the fact she's been denouncing him as a freak and a pervert due to his curse. He's not saying something he doesn't mean to be hurtful, he's purposely trying to humilate her the way she's been humiliating him.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:57 pm

When Ranma first meets Hinako his teacher. In that arc Akane confronts him about his odd behaviour.

Akane says "So you perfer more mature women"

Ranma replys "Well you still are pretty scrawny"

No its not word for word, but it was something along that lines.

This is just off the top of my head, Ranma dosnt always think before he speaks.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:53 pm

I think you're actually thinking of the part where he tries to explain to Akane he's trying to hit some special pressure points that will remove Hinako's drain attack, only she ignores him and accuses him of going after big breasted women: while he tries to respond to that, he unthinkingly comments that Akane's breasts are still kind of small.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 pm

Yea, hence mouth and foot thing.

He speaks before he thinks sometimes.

Like most things that get attributed to characters, fanfiction usually overblows it.

Like how many times in the manga does Ryoga yell Ranma perpare to die? Or Ranma this is all your fault!
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:34 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: That's funny... I know he's done it, but I can't remember when... wait, I think I have some times. I'm more familiar with the anime, so take these with a lick of salt.
That would likely be because Ranma putting his foot in his mouth all the time is fanon.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Tells Akane "these things happen" during their talk when Akane reveals how futile her pursuit of Tofu is.

Wasn't Ranma talking about person Y being interested in person X, but person X not being interested in person Y?

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:(Possible) Bluntly tells Nabiki that the dresss belonging to Akane they just forced him/her into is too tight at the bust and too baggy at the hips.

Your going to think I am very strange, but I have actually asked(even showed the manga to some of them) women of different ages and walks of life about this scene, and all of them said there was nothing wrong with what Ranma said, and that it was a very normal thing to say. They also all say Akane was really out of line for taking offence at the statement.

It might be different in Japan, but in the USA what Ranma said is not an insult in any way.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Almost laughingly asks if Ryoga fell in a Jusenkyo spring when he finally reveals he followed Ranma to China.

That would not really be a foot in mouth type thing.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:10 am

The first thing I mentioned is from one of the early episodes, and it's after Ranma finds out that while Akane has a crush of the good doctor, Tofu is obsessed with Kasumi. After they talk about things, Ranma idly mentions that this means Akane is left with a really broken heart, something she/he immediately regrets. I had remembered things wrong before: the "you gotta accept, these things happen" line comes after Akane starts leaving and Ranma tries to apologise.

And, yeah, I've personally never seen anything wrong with Ranma's comments when Nabiki & Kasumi stuck him in Akane's clothes, hence why I put the "Possible" note in brackets beside it.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:05 am

Lets see, my orginal example with him saying Akane is too scrawny.

There was the time in the hot springs race. Where he eventualy teams up with Akane, and says the equivlent of he needed brute force to win.

Something along the lines, either way far from flattering.

As for putting on Akane's dress. It seems like an example of thinking before he spoke. Wither or not we think Akane overeacted, we must conceed that its not beyond imagination that what Ranma said could be taken as an insult toward Akane's body.

If I tried on a guys pants and said, whoa these are really tight in the crouch, sounds like an insult to me. And if I didnt mean it as an insult, sounds like I spoke without thinking.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:44 pm

If I tried on a guys pants and said, whoa these are really tight in the crouch, sounds like an insult to me. And if I didnt mean it as an insult, sounds like I spoke without thinking.

That's a different situation, in your situation you just said it (and it appears your talking to that person), in the manga Ranma was asked how the clothes fit by Akane's sister and answered honestly to her (Akane just happened to over hear). Ranma was thinking about answering the question.

Looking at the examples given it doesn't seem Ranma puts his foot in his mouth very often, it's just blown out of proportion in fanfics.

The Ranma mentioning Akanes breasts as being a bit small is this page while trying to figure out what she's talking about:
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/ ... 25-097.gif
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:33 pm

It dosnt matter if hes being honest.

He still replied without thinking of how it might be percieved.

If someone asked me how do the pants fit and I said the crouch is too small. Its gonna be pretty insulting to whose pants they are. Even if I dont know they are listening or if Im telling the truth.

Putting your foot in your mouth is just saying something without consdiering the full implications, thats all. It dosnt have to be inentionally cruel what your saying, it can be 100% truth.

Sure its blown out of porportion, thats what Fannon does, almost 100% of fannon is taking something a character does and exaterating that.

But there is a basis to the foot in mouth thing with Ranma.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:20 am

Did Ranma even know that the clothes were Akane's?

If not then it's not 'foot-in-mouth' but Ranma's honest assessment of some clothes. If so, then, while still an honest assessment, it is pretty thoughtless.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:04 am

Well they were in Akane's room, and her door has her name on it.

Either way, it was one of the three girls clothing.

So he can safely assume that he was trying on the clothes of someone in the room.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:28 pm

True. But since Ranma is usually drawn smaller than Akane in his girl form the clothes could be something that one of the girls outgrew
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma