Ranma's Rep

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:35 pm

Depends on the canon; manga canon, pretty much everyone knows something by the time Tsubasa shows up (someone, think it was Akane, mentions that Ranma failed to sell anything because everyone knew that 'she' was really a guy, but on the other hand the drama club just thought he was a master crossdresser), and by the time Hinako joins the cast it's apparently common enough knowledge that he has no hesitation turning up for swimming class as a girl. In the anime canon, nobody knows until the second half of the Martial Arts Cheerleading story, but they don't really seem to mind it (beyond the initial shock), being more focused on his/her "declaration of love" for Akane.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:49 pm

After all, this is the same person who has been able to easily outclass Akane and Kuno, two of the strongest and most feared (or at least respected) martial artists on the campus, and has also been shown to be trouble for authority figures. Usually the two combined tend to imply "school bully". I know what people are thinking, he isn't one, but from an outsider's first impression this could be a possible

Actually they are more likely to see him as a protector from bullies since it is canon that he stops people from bullying others. The masked gang that tried to rob Gosungunki the time Kodachi was beating the girls are two examples. He also tries and stop Happosai all the time. He stops the authority figures from going to far i.e. hair cuts but will generally obey them when they are reasonable i.e. late for class or disrupts class will listen to teacher and stand in hall. If you have trouble with a bully or a teacher abusing their power he'd be the person to go to.

How many people in the school know about his curse is kind of hard to tell. The way Japanese schools are set up you really do not interact with many people outside of your grade or even outside of your class. Most every class would be with the same people since they stay in one room all day (baring a class requiring a special room) with teachers rotating classes. Everyone in the school has probably heard rumors though. Those who did not see the change themselves are unlikely to believe it,most likely think he some kind of cross dresser like the drama club did (would think Ranma's two forms are different people).
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:36 pm

After all, this is the same person who has been able to easily outclass Akane and Kuno, two of the strongest and most feared (or at least respected) martial artists on the campus, and has also been shown to be trouble for authority figures. Usually the two combined tend to imply "school bully". I know what people are thinking, he isn't one, but from an outsider's first impression this could be a possible

antimatterenergy wrote:Actually they are more likely to see him as a protector from bullies since it is canon that he stops people from bullying others. The masked gang that tried to rob Gosungunki the time Kodachi was beating the girls are two examples. He also tries and stop Happosai all the time. He stops the authority figures from going to far i.e. hair cuts but will generally obey them when they are reasonable i.e. late for class or disrupts class will listen to teacher and stand in hall. If you have trouble with a bully or a teacher abusing their power he'd be the person to go to.

But if you don't know the context of the things Ranma does and happen to him he looks really bad. Ranma only looks good if you know what actually happened. Ranma's classmates know enough of the context, but someone that does not know what Ranma's life can be like can easily think Ranma is monster.

In my experience gossip will always distort the truth often to making a person being gosiped about look bad, and it is kind of lke playing telephone.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Drawde » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Ranma's classmates were wondering when Ranma was going to change back right after his first fight with Mousse. They were swimming at the time, and Shampoo came to tell him about the pheonix pill. Shampoo also called Akane "Pervert Girl" during this, while asking if Akane wanted Ranma to stay female.

During the chalange with Tsubasa, a couple of the boys said that the only student who didn't know about Ranma's curse was Tatewaki.

During the cheerleading fight, how many of the Furinkan students didn't understand the curse? After all, there were probably more students there than just the ones in Ranma and Akane's class.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Jupiah » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Zwzn wrote:But if you don't know the context of the things Ranma does and happen to him he looks really bad. Ranma only looks good if you know what actually happened. Ranma's classmates know enough of the context, but someone that does not know what Ranma's life can be like can easily think Ranma is monster.

A monster? Isn't that just a little bit extreme? A reputation of being really perverted does not a monster make.

Ranma regularly protects his fellow students from bullies and teachers that abuse their power, and he also protects the neighborhood from monsters and criminals (although it's impossible to know how aware his classmates are of that fact, since he doesn't brags about it). His classmates likely see him as a really nice, noble and wonderful guy - as long as you aren't romantically involved with him. The guy is absolutely horrified of commitment.

It's even debatable just how messed up they think his love life is as well. The entire school watched him declare Akane his fiancée and threaten to kill Mikado if he touched her during the martial arts ice skating match, and they also say him declare his love to her in the martial arts cheerleading match. Most of them saw Akane declare her love for Ranma in the reversal jewel arc too. I think his classmates are probably split between thinking he's a pervert that strings a bunch of girls because he wants a harem (mostly the guys would think this), and that he truly loves Akane and is too much of a coward to tell off the other girls.
Jupiah
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:35 am

But if you don't know the context of the things Ranma does and happen to him he looks really bad.

Most of the time for those type of things they would know the context since the classmate cheer him on when he does things to say stop the principal. As for the fights with others they are often prearranged and the opponents say things like they will kill him so again they would know the context. As those types of rumors spread they are more likely to make the bully/principal/opponent to be even more evil while making Ranma look better.

In my experience gossip will always distort the truth often to making a person being gosiped about look bad, and it is kind of lke playing telephone.

This is true generally, but it also works the other way as well. Sometimes the gossip makes you look better than you really are. There are people who have done really terrible things but rumors/propaganda makes them look like great people.

Ranma's classmates were wondering when Ranma was going to change back right after his first fight with Mousse. They were swimming at the time, and Shampoo came to tell him about the pheonix pill. Shampoo also called Akane "Pervert Girl" during this, while asking if Akane wanted Ranma to stay female.

During the chalange with Tsubasa, a couple of the boys said that the only student who didn't know about Ranma's curse was Tatewaki.

During the cheerleading fight, how many of the Furinkan students didn't understand the curse? After all, there were probably more students there than just the ones in Ranma and Akane's class.

His immediate classmates definitely know how much of the rest of the school knows in unknown. As for the comment "only student doesn't know" was that in context for the entire school or every student present at the moment? Other students do know but how much and how many believe it is unknown.

Gossip on Ranma's love life probably runs rampant with likely all kinds of rumors. It's probably the most talked about thing in the school.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:59 pm

But if you don't know the context of the things Ranma does and happen to him he looks really bad.

antimatterenergy wrote:Most of the time for those type of things they would know the context since the classmate cheer him on when he does things to say stop the principal. As for the fights with others they are often prearranged and the opponents say things like they will kill him so again they would know the context. As those types of rumors spread they are more likely to make the bully/principal/opponent to be even more evil while making Ranma look better.

I am more talking about what people who don't go to Ranma's school would think if they where told things. They would not know the context of his acttions, and would likely not get the full story.

Think about all the gossip about Makoto Kino(Sailor moon anime) when she transfered to Usagi's school. Sailor Jupiter's classmates thought she was a monster from the gossip they heard.

Now look at what Ranma actually does:

he starts riots because he doesn't like some new rule,

beats up faculty when they try to discipline him,

gets into fights alot,

bullies people,

does perverted things,

hangs out with people who cause large amounts of propty damage.

The above is all true, and looks bad if you don't know the context, and on top of that he has credible seeming people with good reps speaking badly of him in public, and people trying doing things bad things in his name just to make him look bad.

antimatterenergy wrote:This is true generally, but it also works the other way as well. Sometimes the gossip makes you look better than you really are. There are people who have done really terrible things but rumors/propaganda makes them look like great people.

But, how many people talk about the good things Ranma does let alone know about them.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:54 pm

That would depend on how the rumors are being spread. Are they saying:

The crazy evil principal tried to do this and Ranma came and defended us.

Our principals crazy, he threw bombs at people, luckily Ranma was there.

Dude the other day while playing soccer this crazy kid in a robe attacked Ranma.

Hey man, Kuno attacked Ranma again.

Did you see Ranma's last fight it was sweet. This guy with fangs attacked him and he defeated him so fast you could barely see him move.

See these type would leave a favorable impression, not a negative.

Actually the students do not know he hangs out with destructive people since the destructive people come and attack him. They wouldn't know that he is with them. He hangs out with a couple of kids from class.

By the way, who would it look like he bullies? Since he is the defender not the attacker and rumors will likely spreed about him being attacked.

beats up faculty when they try to discipline him,

When does he do that? He never hurt them. He did not for example, punch Miss Hinako even once. He was going to punch the Principal but didn't. The principal has blown himself up on occasion though.

Oh by the way Ranma isn't the one to usually start the riots. He instead tries to manipulate the person into giving up while others are rioting. Look at the first arc with the principal Akane and all the kids were trying to find the coconut, while Ranma was trying to manipulate the principal into giving him it (pretended to be a Hawaiian girl who needed it).

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:55 pm

He hits the principal many times. It dosnt have to be a punch to be put in the context of beating someone up. Im hoping youll concede this so I dont have to look for examples.

For one I know for a fact he hits him in the weakness arc.

He also knocked Hinako out by jumping on her, but that was an accident so we'll overlook it. Though i wonder how other people would veiw it?
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 pm

I do not remember Ranma ever actually hitting the principal but I could be wrong. In the weakness arc I don't remember Ranma actually hitting the principal. The principal got caught in the Hiryu Shoten Ha but Ranma did not hit him, the principal, mousse, and gosungunki were all trying to beat up Ranma and got caught in the blast meant for Happosai.

I figure they'd view it as an accident since Ranma does apologize and then carry her.

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:03 pm

Ranma boots em in the head at the start of the arc. Showing he is more than willing to attack the principal.

Now if you had claimed that he only fights the principal in self defense, I could agree to that.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Seed00 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:59 pm

How soon do we forget that we're not supposed to take it seriously? Honestly, Ranma 1/2 is a comedy. Liek Ranma is the only perverted idiot in that show.

What he does makes him look bad but can you blame him why he does it?
Seed00
Senshi Cadet

Postby three headed dog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 pm

How soon do we forget that we're not supposed to take it seriously? Honestly, Ranma 1/2 is a comedy. Liek Ranma is the only perverted idiot in that show.

What he does makes him look bad but can you blame him why he does it?

Some would make him look bad, other actions would make him look good. It is all dependent in how the rumors and talk about him spreads.

As for not taking it seriously, this entire site basically takes it seriously. It's completely and utterly pointless to tell the people on this site to not take it seriously. When people are analyzing fictional characters and writing stories about them they are already taking it seriously. The people on this site are for the most part fans of Ranma 1/2 and fans is short for fanatics - excessive enthusiasm and often intense devotion.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 pm

three headed dog wrote:As for not taking it seriously, this entire site basically takes it seriously. It's completely and utterly pointless to tell the people on this site to not take it seriously. When people are analyzing fictional characters and writing stories about them they are already taking it seriously. The people on this site are for the most part fans of Ranma 1/2 and fans is short for fanatics - excessive enthusiasm and often intense devotion.

That and it's not uncommon, not only in anime fannon, for a fan to take their favorite show, game, story or what else and take it out of proportion.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 pm

antimatterenergy wrote:That would depend on how the rumors are being spread. Are they saying:

The crazy evil principal tried to do this and Ranma came and defended us.

Our principals crazy, he threw bombs at people, luckily Ranma was there.

Dude the other day while playing soccer this crazy kid in a robe attacked Ranma.

Hey man, Kuno attacked Ranma again.

Did you see Ranma's last fight it was sweet. This guy with fangs attacked him and he defeated him so fast you could barely see him move.

See these type would leave a favorable impression, not a negative.

Actually the students do not know he hangs out with destructive people since the destructive people come and attack him. They wouldn't know that he is with them. He hangs out with a couple of kids from class.

I guess, I was too subtle.

My point was it is easy to make Ranma look bad, and most people would not even believe the truth.

People like the ones Ranma has to deal with are rare.

antimatterenergy wrote:By the way, who would it look like he bullies? Since he is the defender not the attacker and rumors will likely spreed about him being attacked.
Ranma bullies bullies. In many cases bullies are the "hip" cool kids I have found. They would be trying to make him loook bad no matter who they are anyway

antimatterenergy wrote: Oh by the way Ranma isn't the one to usually start the riots. He instead tries to manipulate the person into giving up while others are rioting. Look at the first arc with the principal Akane and all the kids were trying to find the coconut, while Ranma was trying to manipulate the principal into giving him it (pretended to be a Hawaiian girl who needed it).
It at least seems like Ranma always ends up leading them, and without him they would not get very far.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma