Something better than "failed wedding" and "wedding fiasco."

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Something better than "failed wedding" and "wedding fiasco."

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 am

For some reason, these terms have become... irksome. I suppose it's because -- to me -- they're not wholly accurate, in part because it didn't look like a wedding. I mean, I don't recall there being a priest, or anyone present who was clearly qualified to marry someone. Add on to that the fact that the supposed groom was both unaware of the occasion and coerced, and that the supposed bride's willingness is clearly in question due to whichever method Soun had used to present Ranma's cure to her.

Anyway, as you've no doubt guessed (regardless of the blather above), I'm looking for another term that could be used, that could be summed up in a few words rather than having to go through an explanation to clearly indicate what exactly the event had been.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Something better than "failed wedding" and "wedding fiasco."

Postby Drawde » Wed May 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Attempted wedding?
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm

"Wedding incident"?
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Mass Matrimonial objection?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 pm

XD

I like that one, Spockie! Though it'd probably be best reserved for a not-so-serious story.

That aside, is there anything without "wedding?" :O Maybe something like... marriage plot, perhaps? Because it doesn't seem like a wedding, to me. It was more like something that certain parental figures hoped would lead to them being married. I'd say that I'm probably drawing the distinction between the two with the outcome of Ranma's confrontation with Akane. If Ranma had responded favorably to the idea, and went to the dojo with the intention of getting married, then I think I'd have no problem referring to it as a wedding interrupted (or anything meaning the same thing). As it is, with Ranma racing to the dojo to get the keystone of the setup without the strings attached to it, I can't see it as anything but a failed plan.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

A wedding that doesn't have all the necessary parts sounds like a fiasco to me. As one online dictionary says:

"If you describe an event or attempt to do something as a fiasco, you are emphasizing that it fails completely."
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu May 12, 2011 7:33 pm

But doesn't it first have to be something to fail as that something? First it has to be a wedding in order to fail (to any degree) as one. There simply isn't a wedding until there are two people, either forced (and resigned) or willing, who intend to get married. Just because things were set up for a wedding doesn't mean that it is a wedding: it just gives the appearance of a wedding. After all, what makes a wedding a wedding are the people getting married; the surroundings and accompaniments are all superfluous and superficial things to make the occasion seem more significant, thus creating the illusion that it's required in order to define the event as a wedding. (Bah. Marriage is so dumb, like so many other things that humanity has conceived.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu May 12, 2011 8:14 pm

"An event, or an attempt to do something ..." Whether the occasion was a wedding or not, it sure was an attempt to do one. While some of your arguments are apposite, I'd say what failed here was more the attempt to create a marriage, than an attempt to have a wedding.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Thu May 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Shotgun-Nuptial Fiasco
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Well, I've had arguments over notation before. Had some epic ones in grad school. Since I never intend to reference that particular fiasco in my fanfiction, I really have no cause to say what you should do with it. If I were foolish enough to put it in my fic, I suppose I'd call it the 'calamitous attempted wedding'.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:"An event, or an attempt to do something ..." Whether the occasion was a wedding or not, it sure was an attempt to do one. While some of your arguments are apposite, I'd say what failed here was more the attempt to create a marriage, than an attempt to have a wedding.

Then we're actually in agreement, then. That's why I suggested "marriage plot," because I see a distinction between a wedding and marriage.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Fri May 13, 2011 7:18 am

I think I like: "Soun and Genma's Operation-Try-To-Get-Them-Hitched-And-The-Dojo-Destroyed-Instead!"
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri May 13, 2011 8:30 am

Something like that could work, too. :P
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri May 13, 2011 9:03 am

So no response at all on the nuptial suggestion.

Involuntary,Matrimony Abort.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri May 13, 2011 9:29 am

Well, it wasn't exact a shotgun. ;p

Involuntary, matrimonial abortion, maybe?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Fic Research