Loss of service last night

Administrators will post news concerning the site here.

Loss of service last night

Postby lwf58 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:04 am

The site was down for awhile last night, starting around 8:45 Central Time. That was due to the server our site is hosted on having to be rebooted, during which time people saw messages that the site was taking too long to respond. Once it rebooted, a glitch caused the server to redirect browsers to an inactive web site that had our IP address before we did, but which they hadn't deleted.

As you can see, the problem has been fixed and the hosting company is investigating what caused it to happen in the first place.

Ain't the Internet fun?
lwf58
Site Master

Re: Loss of service last night

Postby Vocaloid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 am

I'm still getting redirects on the Spamville and board index links with a iPhone/Mobile app

Edit...and how can this be a abandoned/unused site on their server when the link shows current use. http://www.wagonwheelfestival.com/meetandgreet_2010.html
As you can see, we got hacked somehow and this isn't the first time I have seen this redirect from them. Happened last year as well
Last edited by Vocaloid on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:59 am

Sounds like something a really determined hacker could do to attempt to bring back a site they miss. Although looking at that other site.... Well people have their own reasons for nostalgia.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:56 am

...and how can this be a abandoned/unused site on their server when the link shows current use.

The wagon wheel festival site is active on another server and using another IP address, as I understand it. They'd transferred it during a service upgrade, and It was set as inactive on the server that hosts our site. When the server was rebooted, the error caused the server to associate the IP address with the inactive version of the wagon wheel festival and reactivated it. The result was that when our domain name was called, the Internet name servers called on the IP address as they are supposed to and got that site instead of ours.

I'm still getting redirects on the Spamville and board index links with a iPhone/Mobile app

It can take up to a day for all IP address changes to propagate to all the internet name servers. That should clear itself up given time.

Sounds like something a really determined hacker could do to attempt to bring back a site they miss.

Nah. At first, I thought we'd been hacked too, but the techs at the hosting company confirmed that it was caused by a glitch in their system. They are looking into the reason why it did that.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Vocaloid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:18 am

It just seems fishy to me that Spamville...( one of our heavy traffic point I might add)...Is the primary redirect to the wagonwheel showdowns site still
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:44 am

Network cache. Highly frequented areas are likely the ones that people tried to access using the services where you are currently having the problem. You phone service provider could easily have cached the page in hopes of being able to speed up your service and with compression save a bit on bandwidth.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 pm

I thought I'd never see that site, again... ^_^;

(It actually isn't the first time this has happened, as I recall.)
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Ain't the Internet fun?

No comment at this time. :x
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Makoto wrote:I thought I'd never see that site, again... ^_^;

(It actually isn't the first time this has happened, as I recall.)

Different circumstances. Our previous loss-of-service incidents were because we were taking up too much of the system resources on a shared server - they kept shutting us down for using too much processor time. So I set us up with a VPS account (virtual private server) and we haven't had a resource related outage since then. This one was a server problem that triggered an unforeseen system bug, and we've never had that happen before.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Too bad we can't send Skuld after the bug.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

What I meant was more that it wasn't the first time I'd seen that site, really. :)

I'd thought the circumstances were different, but it happened long ego, enough, that I couldn't remember why it had happened. Just that I hadn't forgotten that image, as I thought I had. :P
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Site Announcements