Head Canon

Talk about all other fiction in this forum.

Re: Head Canon

Postby Pata Hikari » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Té Rowan wrote:Any canon can only show a small selection of events, anyway, that hint at what has been, what is and what will be. Like, can anyone say with 100% certainty that Genma-panda will not become Hotaru’s favourite toy? Or that Akane is not going to teach Ami the secret of the Mercury Ice Mallet?

Yes. Yes I can.

Because Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2 are seperate stories with no connection whatsoever. The characters will never meet because they don't exist to each other.

What a story's ending says tells us about the future of the characters. And Ranma 1/2's ending tells us that the future of the protaganists is "Ranma and Akane love each other, they will continue to have silly adventures, and will get married one day"
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:05 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Even Sailor Pluto couldn't, though she could give odds on the bet.

And Nabiki would no doubt love to have an in with Pluto. *ding* Pluto runs a small-scale betting ring for fun and Nabiki is her bookie in Nerima.
Pata Hikari wrote:Because Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2 are seperate stories with no connection whatsoever. The characters will never meet because they don't exist to each other.

You do know that this site is all about them meeting and joining up?
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 pm

And you do know that I'm talking about but the original stories and not any fanfiction based off them?
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Well, I am not. I am talking about crossovers between Ranma and SM, and my related headcanon.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 am

Té Rowan wrote:Well, I am not. I am talking about crossovers between Ranma and SM, and my related headcanon.

Then why on earth did you bring it up as some kind of counter to me talking about the end of Ranma 1/2.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cheb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:17 am

Ranma and SM canons aren't compatible by default. Ranma takes part in a wider, but still united, Takahashiverse that encompasses Inu-Yasha, Urusei Yatsura and maybe even Rin-ne. (And maybe even Mermaid Saga).

Urusei Yatsura does have lots of aliens around, ones incompatible with SM due to their silliness, and Rin-ne (aka LOL-Bleach) has LOL-shinigami and other spirits whose silliness is overwhelming :lol:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:36 am

Pata Hikari wrote:Then why on earth did you bring it up as some kind of counter to me talking about the end of Ranma 1/2.

You were positing your take on canon as the One True Canon. Of course I was gunna get silly on your ass.

FTR, I consider it very likely that Ranma and Akane will end up together post-canon — despite all interference and thingamajigs. BUT… I will not claim a 100% certainty on that. I’m not that stupid.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:55 am

Té Rowan wrote:FTR, I consider it very likely that Ranma and Akane will end up together post-canon — despite all interference and thingamajigs. BUT… I will not claim a 100% certainty on that. I’m not that stupid.

Ah, but the interference and thingamajigs! This still does not rule out Usagi fathering Chibi-usa on Ranma-chan. The thing about canon, you see, is that we already have canon. If we want more, we have to go outside it.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Té Rowan wrote:You were positing your take on canon as the One True Canon. Of course I was gunna get silly on your ass.

FTR, I consider it very likely that Ranma and Akane will end up together post-canon — despite all interference and thingamajigs. BUT… I will not claim a 100% certainty on that. I’m not that stupid.

Agreed. Canon certainly hints at it, but it certainly doesn't outright say "thus it will be" in any way.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:41 am

Té Rowan wrote:You were positing your take on canon as the One True Canon. Of course I was gunna get silly on your ass.

I am not posting "my take on canon." I am talking about the actual 100% set in stone canon. This is the story that Rumiko Takahashi told.

Spica75 wrote:Agreed. Canon certainly hints at it, but it certainly doesn't outright say "thus it will be" in any way.

Yes. It does. I already brought this up earlier.

The Bamboo Leaves of Love. Ranma and Akane literally got themselves a magic spell that guarantees they'll get married. The author flat out uses magic plot devices to show the reader that yes, Ranma and Akane be together in the future.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 pm

It is not certain until they marry. Period.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Pata Hikari wrote:The Bamboo Leaves of Love. Ranma and Akane literally got themselves a magic spell that guarantees they'll get married. The author flat out uses magic plot devices to show the reader that yes, Ranma and Akane be together in the future.

Are you seriously suggesting that Takahashi is completely consistent?
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:50 pm

And that this device of prophecy is both superior to all other Ranmaverse magic and reliable magic.

Nope, PH, there are only two cases where one can be 100% sure of something happening:
1. It is happening right now.
2. It has already happened.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:36 am

Pata Hikari wrote:
Yes. It does. I already brought this up earlier.

The Bamboo Leaves of Love. Ranma and Akane literally got themselves a magic spell that guarantees they'll get married. The author flat out uses magic plot devices to show the reader that yes, Ranma and Akane be together in the future.

No, that's your headcanon. Canon is that we are showed something that makes it very likely(any time i write something in the Ranmaverse, it is my default assumption as well, but it IS an assumption, not hard fact or canon). Otherwise you're completely ignoring everything else in the setting that could easily upset events(such as other magic, magic glitches/weirdness, outside interference(!!!) etc etc).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:35 am

A lot of us have read comics. (I go back to the Golden Age, barely, and read most of the Silver Age. Was reading Bronze Age, but I gave up when it turned into the Marzipan age.) You can't even count on somebody to be dead or alive, married or single, one person or a consortium. It colors your perceptions. Takahashi-sensei is more consistent than DC or Marvel, but she's not perfect. If nothing else, she's terribly vulnerable to the Rule of Funny. Check it out on TV Tropes.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction Discussion